2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm beginning to realize that when Anna P falls, she FALLS.

By that I mean full-on, splayed-out-on-the-ice wipeouts, usually on her stomach and almost always into the boards. I just watched her SP and she fell on her stomach/side twice (hitting the boards on the way up once), which is worrying, because those falls are really hard to rebound from (don't I know it :disapp:). It was kind of similar to Worlds, and that is not good. :no: Is she sick again? I seem to recall that was what happened at Worlds.

It was the same at the test skates, and yes, it's extremely concerning to me. She's had all kinds of issues and if she's falling like this every time we see her, just imagine how often it must happen in training. I hate to think of her getting a concussion, but if it hasn't happened yet, I'm afraid it's just a matter of time. Isn't there any other coach who can rescue her before she becomes so broken that she can't be put back together? :hopelessness:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to say this for the final time......I Hate Keegan's SP. I hate it!! He's so Masculine, So Fast, and He's built like a Linebacker. He should be skating to something from "Rocky" or "Top Gun." The "Jason Bourne" movies have some fast really cool cuts that would be perfect for him. I love him so much as a skater and I can't imagine these programs ever winning a medal at Worlds. Rant Over.;)

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to say this for the final time......I Hate Keegan's SP. I hate it!! He's so Masculine, So Fast, and He's built like a Linebacker. He should be skating to something from "Rocky" or "Top Gun." The "Jason Bourne" movies have some fast really cool cuts that would be perfect for him. I love him so much as a skater and I can't imagine these programs ever winning a medal at Worlds. Rant Over.;)

Not to be rude, but that's a bit stereotypical on what you said. If he wants to skate to that song, he should skate to it. He doesn't need to skate something hard and loud simply because he looks like it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
You know what. After watching Jason's SP. I think maybe Jason might have better luck with his Triple Axel if he put it after his triple triple in the SP. He usually nails his triple triple and I think he'd be more relaxed if the Axel was the second pass.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not to be rude, but that's a bit stereotypical on what you said. If he wants to skate to that song, he should skate to it. He doesn't need to skate something hard and loud simply because he looks like it.

You're absolutely right. It's just my opinion. BTW....It's not "Stereotypical" to search for music that fits your skaters look. It's called "Packaging" and it happens all the time. As I said....Keegan may not be tall but, he Looks like a Buff Linebacker. I just feel this music is a bit "Juniorish" (I know that's not a word) for Keegan. It seems to be working for him and if he likes it, that's all that really matters, Right.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're absolutely right. It's just my opinion. BTW....It's not "Stereotypical" to search for music that fits your skaters look. It's called "Packaging" and it happens all the time. As I said....Keegan may not be tall but, he Looks like a Buff Linebacker. I just feel this music is a bit "Juniorish" (I know that's not a word) for Keegan. It seems to be working for him and if he likes it, that's all that really matters, Right.

Not to be rude, but Monty Python is enjoyed by all ages and that song was in a movie that's probably PG-13. Which isn't exactly juniorish.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not to be rude, but Monty Python is enjoyed by all ages and that song was in a movie that's probably PG-13. Which isn't exactly juniorish.

OK. It's just music anyway. It's not my taste that's all. Here's my problem with his music. If a Judge (Me for example) had never seen Monty Python. This music with it's whistling and immature vocals screams Junior. Also, in the scene in the movie ( I just watched it on youtube ) it's sung by Two Men strapped to Crosses and is clearly meant to be a joke.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a PBP of the stream, isn't it? ;)

In all fairness, it can be challenging to do live PBP when there's no sound, no picture, no scores, or the camera-man isn't following the skater, but you can hear him talking on his cell phone... :slink:

Major Lolz at the cell phone calls today!! :laugh:

I rather enjoyed the PBP from the posters who were reporting all of the unfolding drama both on and off of the ice :thumbsup:

LRK

Record Breaker
There was talk of Anna switching coaches during the off-season, as I recall, but then it didn't happen.

Kittosuni

Medalist
When i first saw jason's routines 2 or 3 seasons ago i thought he was good and put a lot of character into it but it seems nothing has change i mean same concept, same feel, it just feels old and boring and forced. I mean i like the intentions of his routines it just doesnt cross to me as genuine

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
When i first saw jason's routines 2 or 3 seasons ago i thought he was good and put a lot of character into it but it seems nothing has change i mean same concept, same feel, it just feels old and boring and forced. I mean i like the intentions of his routines it just doesnt cross to me as genuine

Well if it seems that he's doing a "fake it until you make it" it's because he is! Rohene is absolutely nuts to somehow get Jason to do a Finnstep and then add spins and jumps to it.

I guess the debate is whether there is too much choreography that it's impacting his ability to do jumps. It's a valid argument. But there's an argument that it's worth enduring short-term pain for long-term mastery so they are stellar by Nationals/Worlds.

All that said, it's clear that Jason's style rubs people the wrong way too, so you're not alone there.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Major Lolz at the cell phone calls today!! :laugh:

I rather enjoyed the PBP from the posters who were reporting all of the unfolding drama both on and off of the ice :thumbsup:

I thought posters comments were funny and I enjoyed them a lot. Helped me stick with watching the competition even without sound. :biggrin: