2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well if it seems that he's doing a "fake it until you make it" it's because he is! Rohene is absolutely nuts to somehow get Jason to do a Finnstep and then add spins and jumps to it.

I guess the debate is whether there is too much choreography that it's impacting his ability to do jumps. It's a valid argument. But there's an argument that it's worth enduring short-term pain for long-term mastery so they are stellar by Nationals/Worlds.

All that said, it's clear that Jason's style rubs people the wrong way too, so you're not alone there.
Here's a question you can answer for sure Mrs. P, is it Jason's style or Rohene's Style? Has Jason ever gone to a different choreographer?
I'm really liking his FS, but again, don't like the SP so much. I know Rohene's done both, but maybe, for variety he could choose another Choreographer in future seasons and the style would be widened? Just a thought.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here's a question you can answer for sure Mrs. P, is it Jason's style or Rohene's Style? Has Jason ever gone to a different choreographer?
I'm really liking his FS, but again, don't like the SP so much. I know Rohene's done both, but maybe, for variety he could choose another Choreographer in future seasons and the style would be widened? Just a thought.

I do think it's Jason's style -- as far as the personality/performance. I think sometimes that it can come on too strong, hence the perception the programs have a "sameness" to them.

Rohene has been Jason's choreographer since he was a Novice skater, basically the 2008-2009 season.

I definitely could see a benefit in trying a new choreographer, but I do think Rohene is challenging him choreographically. Unlike other choreographers, he does not allow skaters (or Jason anyway) to take out choreography for the sake of making it easier.

Alba

Record Breaker
When i first saw jason's routines 2 or 3 seasons ago i thought he was good and put a lot of character into it but it seems nothing has change i mean same concept, same feel, it just feels old and boring and forced. I mean i like the intentions of his routines it just doesnt cross to me as genuine

I think if there is something which I really like about Jason is that he looks genuine and credible, at least to me obviously. I don't think it's forced or not genuine, I just think it's still early and it's a program with a lot of transitions. I do like the program actually but I also do see how his performance might look the same old thing. I don't think he should change his style but maybe do something romantic or lyrical can help with the range and I think he's able to do that. What's his LP program? I mean the music?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK. It's just music anyway. It's not my taste that's all. Here's my problem with his music. If a Judge (Me for example) had never seen Monty Python. This music with it's whistling and immature vocals screams Junior. Also, in the scene in the movie ( I just watched it on youtube ) it's sung by Two Men strapped to Crosses and is clearly meant to be a joke.

I have to agree that Keegan's choice of SP music is, for me, straaaange. "Life of Brian", the source of the song, is a movie spoofing the life of Jesus (did he say "blessed are the cheese makers?"). Whether you find it amusing or not depends on whether you like Monty Python (see previous parens), but in the movie, the song is sung during the crucifixion scene. For me, the song is inextricably tied with this movie, which not all will find funny. I just don't know what Keegan and his team were thinking.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think if there is something which I really like about Jason is that he looks genuine and credible, at least to me obviously. I don't think it's forced or not genuine, I just think it's still early and it's a program with a lot of transitions. I do like the program actually but I also do see how his performance might look the same old thing. I don't think he should change his style but maybe do something romantic or lyrical can help with the range and I think he's able to do that. What's his LP program? I mean the music?

He's doing "The Piano" soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_0HVzcVtg

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Jason's LP is to music from the movie "The Piano". IMO, as lyrical as it gets. No one can say he doesn't change it up. ;)

ETA: Mrs. P. types faster, but she's a pro. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker

Jason's LP is to music from the movie "The Piano". IMO, as lyrical as it gets. No one can say he doesn't change it up. ;)

Oh well, that's very good then. I don't think he doesn't change because last season the LP was different from the SP also. I'm suggesting maybe to leave the fun and playful program out for a year. Sometimes it can stick with you even if it's just about one program and doesn't reflect the reality.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have to agree that Keegan's choice of SP music is, for me, straaaange. "Life of Brian", the source of the song, is a movie spoofing the life of Jesus (did he say "blessed are the cheese makers?"). Whether you find it amusing or not depends on whether you like Monty Python (see previous parens), but in the movie, the song is sung during the crucifixion scene. For me, the song is inextricably tied with this movie, which not all will find funny. I just don't know what Keegan and his team were thinking.

I didn't realize that about the piece of music, but I found that he looked rather glum for someone skating to the lyrics "always look on the bright side of life."

Layback11

Record Breaker

Oh my. That sounds...interesting. Certainly not, from what I've ascertained from your post, what one would expect somebody to skate to...well, it ain't Carmen, that's for sure. ;)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh well, that's very good then. I don't think he doesn't change because last season the LP was different from the SP also. I'm suggesting maybe to leave the fun and playful program out for a year. Sometimes it can stick with you even if it's just about one program and doesn't reflect the reality.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you thought Jason's programs were all the same, that was more of a general comment than directed at your post. I do understand that some posters do not like the fun and playful programs, although I love them. Maybe he should do Monty Python.:laugh:

Oh my. That sounds...interesting. Certainly not, from what I've ascertained from your post, what one would expect somebody to skate to...well, it ain't Carmen, that's for sure. ;)

I give Keegan props for originality. It's not Carmen, POTO, or Nessun Dorma. And the movie was released in 1979, so just because I saw it when it came out, doesn't mean that mean that everyone knows about popular culture from the Dark Ages. :laugh2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
didn't like S/K… twist was not clean… huge fall on the throw…. they are lucky to score that high…. but for me the problem does reside in a lack of symbiosis on ice… she seems to have too much personality for the two of them ;) I wonder what they have done during their time off… i think that perhaps it was a really bad idea for them to do that… they have ipso facto created a lot of expectations/pressure on themselves…. the throw looked so off in terms of timing…. i wouldn't be surprised if things don't go their way that she look for another partner after this season… haha ;)

I didn't mind Keegan's music… for me it's just him who is not a great interpreter

and finally,

i am going to get hate back but Jason's program doesn't work for me… i don't connect to it at all… i appreciate the quality of his skating but the quirky arms and hands moves look forced to me…

and yes, i am grumpy… i just burned my chicken breast while watching these programs ;)

on a positive note, I think I/M have grown… too bad she doubled her salchow

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adian didn't skate very well technically but he still got good PCS considering. I hope he can sort out the technical issues because I really really like this kid. I'd like to see him as a medal threat for any event by next season. I just like how he carries himself so lightly across the ice and think he has loads of potential. The future could be very bright for this one.

One of my favorite programs this year and the men rarely top my favorites list. Get some redemption Adian!!!

http://youtu.be/JRY07tjHXBc

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am afraid Anna P is too tall now to have consistent jumps:cry:Anyone with her height will have troubles jumping. She is almost as tall as Kostner and she is only 17. She does not have the luxury to fail again and again and then is still given the chance to put everything together one day like Kostner.

I think judges are quite stingy scoring ladies. Evgenia is using her dress from last season. Really want to see her new one. Maybe she is saving that for GP assignments?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am afraid Anna P is too tall now to have consistent jumps:cry:Anyone with her height will have troubles jumping. She is almost as tall as Kostner and she is only 17. She does not have the luxury to fail again and again and then is still given the chance to put everything together one day like Kostner.

I think judges are quite stingy scoring ladies. Evgenia is using her dress from last season. Really want to see her new one. Maybe she is saving that for GP assignments?
if anna were not from russia, she would have time to settle these issues…. but i am afraid that since there are so many good russian skaters, she will be left out of the teams if she doesn't perform well quickly.. it's a war zone over there for ladies right now when you think that nobody can see for sure if the two medallists from last year's WC will make the team!!!!!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I do think it's Jason's style -- as far as the personality/performance. I think sometimes that it can come on too strong, hence the perception the programs have a "sameness" to them.

Rohene has been Jason's choreographer since he was a Novice skater, basically the 2008-2009 season.

I definitely could see a benefit in trying a new choreographer, but I do think Rohene is challenging him choreographically. Unlike other choreographers, he does not allow skaters (or Jason anyway) to take out choreography for the sake of making it easier.

Interesting. My favorite Jason SP - Prince - is starting to seem like a bit of an anomaly. It's the only one where he seems to have taken on a character somewhat different to his own. Yet he didn't lose anything of himself, either.

I like the new SP music and a lot of the choreo, and I love the costume - it's quite sophisticated and I think he looks fantastic in it. But I guess I'd like to see a bit more Fred Astaire in his presentation.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I did like Jason's Prince SP so much. --I actually wouldn't mind if Jason had just kept his Juke SP for this season; then he could concentrate on putting a quad in it and it wouldn't be such a strain. Making a whole new SP, with pretty much the same style and MORE difficult steps whilst trying to put in a quad seems to be a mis-allocation of time and energy which is finite for every skater.

P.S. I'm just shooting the breeze; I'm sure Jason's team knows what is best for him. But alternative scenarios and paths to take always swarm my mind when the skating season starts.

Last edited: