2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. Nationals practice reports

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Per Jackie Wong:

Practice Notes: Brown SP runthru: 3axel(ur?), 3flip3toe, 3Tanolutz - looks confident

Practice notes: Rippon 4lutz(ur,2ft), clean 3axel, 4lutz(ur,fall); Hochstein clean 4toe after lots of 3toes

Practice notes: Rupp SP runthru: 3axel(stepout), 3flip3toe, 3Riplutz

Practice notes: Rippon 4lutz(ur,fall), 4lutz(rotated,fall), 4lutz(rotated?fall); 2 clean 3axels for Brown

Practice: Rabbitt FS runthru: 3lutz, 3axel(fall), 3flip, 3sal3toe, 3flip2toe, 3sal, 2axel2toe2loop, 2axel

Practice notes: make no mistake, Adam Rippon just landed 4 triple axels out of 4 attempts

Practice notes: Hochstein clean SP runthrough: 3lutz3toe, 3axel, 3flip

Practice notes: beauty of a 3axel from Rippon, also 3Riplutz3toe

FACTOID: Adam Rippon hit 8 of 8 triple axels that I saw, he was a jumping maniac today, no clean 4lutz though

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Josh Farris SP practice videos from Thurs are on Jennifer Comeaux's blog:

She also has photos of Josh and others from practice -- plus competition photos of many others. :)

Thank you for the reminder of Jennifer's site. I would so love to see Josh skate his programs clean. His skating style is the type I like best and I find his performances incredibly moving when he is "on."

samson

Medalist
For those interested Ladies Group C just got on the ice for practice in the secondary rink. Here's a link to live feed with no sound posted earlier in this thread!

http://live1.brownrice.com/clients/wfmy21.html

Also for reference this group is:
Mirai Nagasu
Courtney Hicks
Mariah Bell
Franchesca Chiera
Ashley Shin

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
^Well that group is over. Of course I got distracted reading articles and the like so I missed most of the run throughs but here's what I saw. I mostly just watched Mirai and a little bit of Courtney.

From the far away angle of that cam Mirai looked strong out there. Tom Z was working her like crazy and she wasn't backing down. I missed her full run through but I saw her do several sections. I wonder if that short program was just what the doctor ordered because she looked just a little but faster, and her jumps looked just a little bit stronger today. She did quite a few goes at the flip/toe.

Even being a Mirai fan I concede last nights toe was under rotated so I tried to watch these ones as closely as I could. They were all done at the end of the rink away from the camera so it was near impossible to see rotation but based on her body position it looked like all the flips were good and the toes were just too close for me to tell without a better view. Her ride out got better with each attempt though (progress maybe?)

Mirai did a gorgeous clean clean clean double axel/triple toe while running a section into a great triple loop/double toe/double loop. I guess that must be one of the changes to the jump sequence order. She also was doing a ton of triple lutzes in the far left corner from the camera. Also saw several loops on their own and nice triple salchow. She started working spins near the end of the session and they looked good, especially her combo spin and layback. With her layback she definitely looked like she was holding her boot at the end and then brought the foot back to her head in the crazy pretzel variation. She didn't do it in the run through but here's hoping we get to see something like that tomorrow night!

Courtney looked pretty good out there too. Tons of speed as always. She took a big tumble on the toe in her opening combo and that kind of took the gas out of her run through. She didn't really attempt a full one, but she looked pretty solid otherwise.

There onto group D now:
Ashley Wagner
Samantha Cesario
Karen Chen
Madison Vinci
Christina Cleveland
Caroline Zhang

Missed Ashley but the end of Sammi's she was giving it all she's got.

macy

Record Breaker
looks like polina, christina, ashley cain, and another blonde girl in a pony tail are out there. can't make out who she is. alternating between this and jr ladies fs. are there any more practice groups after this? trying to watch hannah.

flying camel

Medalist
Gracie looked good in practice. Nailed the 3Lutz/3toe. I also saw her nail the double axel/3toe.
What is going on with Angela Wang? She looked so promising a few years ago. It seems like everytime I see her practicing she is either going down or getting up.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Just watched the run-through of Gracie's and Hannah's shorts sans sound via the feed golden411 shared.

Gracie skipped the triple/triple and her layback but did everything else and looked strong out there. Seeing a single cam wide shot you really get a sense of the speed she uses in this program and how much she fills the ice. Maybe it's because this is the second season out she's doing this program, but I was really surprisingly struck but her display of musicality even when the sound was mute on the feed. She's not a skater I typically associate those things with but at least with this program you still get a sense of the rise and fall in the music through her body language, speed, energy. It's far from my favorite program, and say what you will about the material Lori and Frank give her, but there's so much quality all around this program from the construction to the execution.

Hannah also skipped her combo but it looks like she did everything else well. By contrast, watching her short without music I was struck by how one note it is. Granted she's skating to firebird, and in the short it's much harder to create a rise and fall in the short time with all the elements (and I think Lori is especially good at constructing dynamic short programs) but the whole program was skated with the speed and energy of a "Michelle just nailed her second lutz now it's time for the footwork" moment.

I think the construction of Gracie's program is more affective. As a viewer you're given somewhere to go, rather than starting at top speed and trying to maintain it. It's funny I didn't anticipate to be comparing and critiquing the programs like this, I just noticed what a great opportunity it is learn something about choreography and how programs get built in comparison to how programs get scored when you watch without the music.

Glad to read this post, I sometimes, view programs without music, and I get what you mean.