2015 World Team Trophy countries announced | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy countries announced

w4300

Rinkside
W t t

Just saw on TSL that per @USFigureSkating US team is Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold, Jason Brown, Chock & Bates and Scimeca & Knierim

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NEWS RELEASE
20 First Street – Colorado Springs, CO 80906
Phone: 719.635.5200 – Fax: 719.635.9548

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media contact: Renee Felton, U.S. Figure Skating, 719.635.5200

Team USA Announces 2015 World Team Trophy Roster

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 2, 2015) – U.S. Figure Skating has announced the eight athletes who will represent Team USA at the 2015 ISU World Team Trophy April 16-19 in Tokyo. World Team Trophy features the six best figure skating teams of the 2014-15 season, including Canada, China, France, Japan, Russia and the United States.

LADIES
Gracie Gold
Ashley Wagner

MEN
Max Aaron
Jason Brown

PAIRS
Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim

ICE DANCE
Madison Chock and Evan Bates

Each team consists of two ladies, two men, one pairs team and one ice dance team. Each skater will receive points based on placements in the short program/dance and free skate/dance. The points will be combined across the four disciplines and the highest point total will win.

Held every odd year, Team USA has medaled in all three World Team Trophy events. Team USA won the inaugural 2009 competition, earned silver in 2012 (held in an even year because the 2011 event was postponed due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan) and won gold in 2013. A similar team event debuted at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games, at which Team USA earned the bronze.

U.S. skaters qualified for World Team Trophy based on results of the most recent World Championships, the ISU Grand Prix and Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series and Final, the Four Continents Championships and the ISU World Rankings. Teams will compete for a total of $1 million USD in prize money.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Woot, Max!:cheer2: and happy for Karne too!:biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know this format favours singles skilled teams especially Japan but I wish they were consistent with the Olympic format; it kind of legitimizes it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... For me, keeping everything together in this one WTT subforum would be more convenient.

Each of the eight WTT competition threads for the disciplines will be discussing only six entries. ...​

Duh ... apologies for my careless :bang: mistake:

Twelve men and twelve ladies will be discussed in the WTT competition threads.

Six dance couples and six pairs.​

Apologies to GF2445 and to the mods.

Thrilled for Max Aaron! :yay:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have stuck the Cheer threads so they will stay together. The event threads will be in a group below them.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think my gripe for WTT is from the fact that it's been homogeneous to same countries we see in the podium. I would really like for more countries to be invited as well. But oh well, that's what each country has to think about.

wishful thinking: have a group of random skaters (like Misha, Javi, Sara/Adria, Vale/Ondrej, Soyoun, Nicole or etc.) compete with the countries

I do wish that WTT is held every year in order to legitimize the OG Team Event. Maybe lowering the prize pool can help that work. Besides, it's been consistently held in Japan anyway.

I don't. The only year that WTT isn't held is during Olympic years--why would you want to make skaters' seasons even longer? And do you mean like Ice Wars? Wouldn't that make the competition less legitimate?

P.S. The passive-agressive banter in pages 3 and 4 are hilarious.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
wishful thinking: have a group of random skaters (like Misha, Javi, Sara/Adria, Vale/Ondrej, Soyoun, Nicole or etc.) compete with the countries

I think that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Call it "Team United" or something. Showcase how some skaters are great but from small federations, but also promote that federation.

But of the men, who would go of Javi, D10 and Misha? Javi and D10 placed higher, but well, Misha is perfect for this. WTT should just hire him to come do commentary for this.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know this format favours singles skilled teams especially Japan but I wish they were consistent with the Olympic format; it kind of legitimizes it.
Not really. Japan has only won 1 WTT so far and that was when they had a world class Pairs team in 2012. Otherwise their singles skaters weren't enough in 2009 and 2013 when they had weak Pairs and ice Dancing while the US had more well rounded teams.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think that would be a hell of a lot of fun. Call it "Team United" or something. Showcase how some skaters are great but from small federations, but also promote that federation.

But of the men, who would go of Javi, D10 and Misha? Javi and D10 placed higher, but well, Misha is perfect for this. WTT should just hire him to come do commentary for this.

Misha Ge actually suggested something like this back in 2012. He actually sent several tweets with his idea. It was really cute. :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...-quot-7th-Country-World-Alliance-quot-for-WTT

caitie

Medalist
Yeah, I love the idea of a team made up of skaters from various nationalities competing together against the largest federations.

Didn't there used to be a Team USA vs. The World skating competition years ago kind of like that? Back in the 90s when skating was super popular in the US? Maybe I'm mixing up my sports, though. I know USA Swimming has Duel In The Pool which is sometimes USA vs. Australia and sometimes USA vs. The World.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Leave it to Misha to be endlessly cute.

BTW does anyone know why he has been referring to himself as Stitch lately?

Because Misha has been reading your posts on GS ;)??

Or ... maybe he is referring to Lilo and Stitch, his favorite Disney movie.

Off topic:
Please do not feel any pressure to comment/answer, but I will admit that I have wondered about the origin of your GS name. Maybe it is a thing, but I just have been living under a rock again ... :confused2: