2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 79 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You know, Nic is the best hope for a Canadian singles champion from Quebec since Sebastien Britten.... it's been over 20 years... as a matter of fact, Nic wasn't even born when Sebatien won in 95... so that's why I hope we won't let him go anywhere and that he will fulfill his potential.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
You know, Nic is the best hope for a Canadian singles champion from Quebec since Sebastien Britten.... it's been over 20 years... as a matter of fact, Nic wasn't even born when Sebatien won in 95... so that's why I hope we won't let him go anywhere and that he will fulfill his potential.

Once I became his fan, I actually thought the same thing---it has been ages since a Quebec man has won the Canadian title, and wouldn't it be wonderful if Nic ended that long drought? :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Once I became his fan, I actually thought the same thing---it has been ages since a Quebec man has won the Canadian title, and wouldn't it be wonderful if Nic ended that long drought? :)

we are thinking the same way... let's not tell your roman and my son ;) i am sure they hope for other things ;)

i know very little about skating prior to brian orser in canada.... i know that toller cranston lived in Quebec as a kid but i have no idea if he skated at national representing quebec as he was born in ontario and trained with ellen burka...

so for those of you experts, is sebastien britten the only quebecois to ever win the men title????

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It has not really been a great year for skating for Canada this skating year so far. Patrick Chan is clearly unable to compete with the big guns. He doesn't have the quads or consistnecy and the scoring system really does not favour him in respect to pcs that he probably deserves more over Chen, Boyang, Umo and all. Reynolds has been bypassed by the quad kings. He is no longer a threat as he counted on his two quads and he does not have the skating skills or beautiful skating of Chan or even Liam. And a miracle is needed Reyolds to make top ten. Nam continues to struggle with growth issues and has not improved his pcs which Chen, boyang have in spades comparatively. As for the junior men well they were an unmitigated disaster at world juniors almost losing two spots let alone three. One hopes Nicolas Nadea will have a healthy and productive olympic season. It didn't look too positive though for the junior men. Osmond has shown flashes of brilliance but never skated a strong free skate. And Gabby is appreciated but really does not have the skating cred as Osmond as of yet. Chartrand really has fallen off the map sadly and Sarah Tamura their junior has sadly continued in the lack lustre challenged lady skates. In pairs whil I/M have shown signs of significant progress their individual jumps are a major issue. Duhamel and Radford are going backwards. They have lost consistency on their jumps - throws and individual They have downgraded the individual jumps lowering their BV. Seguin and Bilodeau probably could have had a better shot on the world scene but for two years of injury. It may be too late for them to make their claim as olympic medal or top 5 threats. D and R on the other hand do not l ook like world gold medal threats or olympic gold material and one wonders if all the chinese teams and Sk/K from the states will pass them and who knows about the Russians. It is a given Sui and Han and the Germans will beat them at worlds. The issue is one or two of the Russians beat them too. The junior pairs are nothing to talk about. Dance well maybe a bit of hope in juniors ut the real talk is seniors. The re emergence of Virtue and Moir is what Canada will rely on for a guaranteed world and olympic medal. they can't count on Duhamel and Radford or Chan to win medals. gilles and porier have shown huge potential but make major errors at the wrong time and Weapo are like the sliding from away from grace team - they have fallen out of favour and have not found some memorable program - yet. Thinking positively for Canada they will hold on to three spots in dance and pairs and two spots in ladies and men. Ironically things are better for Canada to earn three spots in ladies but the odds of that happening are slim - getting both Daleman and Osmond to skate 4 strong programs at worlds is very daunting.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It has not really been a great year for skating for Canada this skating year so far. Patrick Chan is clearly unable to compete with the big guns. He doesn't have the quads or consistnecy and the scoring system really does not favour him in respect to pcs that he probably deserves more over Chen, Boyang, Umo and all. Reynolds has been bypassed by the quad kings. He is no longer a threat as he counted on his two quads and he does not have the skating skills or beautiful skating of Chan or even Liam. And a miracle is needed Reyolds to make top ten. Nam continues to struggle with growth issues and has not improved his pcs which Chen, boyang have in spades comparatively. As for the junior men well they were an unmitigated disaster at world juniors almost losing two spots let alone three. One hopes Nicolas Nadea will have a healthy and productive olympic season. It didn't look too positive though for the junior men. Osmond has shown flashes of brilliance but never skated a strong free skate. And Gabby is appreciated but really does not have the skating cred as Osmond as of yet. Chartrand really has fallen off the map sadly and Sarah Tamura their junior has sadly continued in the lack lustre challenged lady skates. In pairs whil I/M have shown signs of significant progress their individual jumps are a major issue. Duhamel and Radford are going backwards. They have lost consistency on their jumps - throws and individual They have downgraded the individual jumps lowering their BV. Seguin and Bilodeau probably could have had a better shot on the world scene but for two years of injury. It may be too late for them to make their claim as olympic medal or top 5 threats. D and R on the other hand do not l ook like world gold medal threats or olympic gold material and one wonders if all the chinese teams and Sk/K from the states will pass them and who knows about the Russians. It is a given Sui and Han and the Germans will beat them at worlds. The issue is one or two of the Russians beat them too. The junior pairs are nothing to talk about. Dance well maybe a bit of hope in juniors ut the real talk is seniors. The re emergence of Virtue and Moir is what Canada will rely on for a guaranteed world and olympic medal. they can't count on Duhamel and Radford or Chan to win medals. gilles and porier have shown huge potential but make major errors at the wrong time and Weapo are like the sliding from away from grace team - they have fallen out of favour and have not found some memorable program - yet. Thinking positively for Canada they will hold on to three spots in dance and pairs and two spots in ladies and men. Ironically things are better for Canada to earn three spots in ladies but the odds of that happening are slim - getting both Daleman and Osmond to skate 4 strong programs at worlds is very daunting.

while I agree with you that Canada didn't have a great outing at Junior worlds, can we wait until worlds before making such comments... the negativity in your post is enough to make a unicorn lose its horn. I blame you for their extinction.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
while I agree with you that Canada didn't have a great outing at Junior worlds, can we wait until worlds before making such comments... the negativity in your post is enough to make a unicorn lose its horn. I blame you for their extinction.

That's okay. My Dragon will bring all the unicorns back with his belly magic.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I'm sure the same analytics can be used to come to the same negative conclusion about the U.S., Russia, and Japan. Yet the opposites can also be deducted by an optimist.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Skater Boy I stopped reading your post after

It has not really been a great year for skating for Canada this skating year so far.

Because that is simply not true.

We've had

1 lady make the GPF for the first time since Joannie Rochette
1 lady win a medal at 4CC for the first time since Joannie Rochette
1st time Canada has qualified entries to all four disciplines at GPF
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir finally win a GPF gold after 5 silver medals and setting a World Record while doing so
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford land a throw 3A
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch win medals at every international event they've competed at, including 4CC bronze
Two pairs on the podium at 4CC
Despite a couple of under-performing juniors, 2 medals on the JGP and an increase in the pairs spots for next season's JGP
Lajoie/Lagha finally breaking through

There's good and bad every season. There's been quite a bit to celebrate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

Because that is simply not true.

We've had

1 lady make the GPF for the first time since Joannie Rochette
1 lady win a medal at 4CC for the first time since Joannie Rochette
1st time Canada has qualified entries to all four disciplines at GPF
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir finally win a GPF gold after 5 silver medals and setting a World Record while doing so
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford land a throw 3A
Lubov Ilyushechkina / Dylan Moscovitch win medals at every international event they've competed at, including 4CC bronze
Two pairs on the podium at 4CC
Despite a couple of under-performing juniors, 2 medals on the JGP and an increase in the pairs spots for next season's JGP

And all of Team Canada is healthy!

nadster

Final Flight

And Lajoie/Lagha has given us 14 JGP dance slots. That is something to celebrate. That is the best news from a Canadian standpoint about JW.

And following summer monitoring for the 5 JGP ladies slots will be fun.

Hopefully the Autumn Classic is not the only non-JGP junior event that juniors get sent to.

The Autumn Classic does not bring any strong international singles skaters in the junior events in general. Yes send them to the Autumn Classic as it gets them qualifying scores for JW but we also need to send them to events with higher quality fields. That way we a skater who missed out on JGP but got a quality field international can be more accurately assessed.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
we are thinking the same way... let's not tell your roman and my son ;) i am sure they hope for other things ;)

Shhh, we'll keep it a secret from your son and my princeling that Nic is the King of our hearts. ;) (I know you love Patrick the most, so he must be a demi-god. :bow: )

i know very little about skating prior to brian orser in canada.... i know that toller cranston lived in Quebec as a kid but i have no idea if he skated at national representing quebec as he was born in ontario and trained with ellen burka...

Even if Toller did represent Quebec during his late childhood and adolescence, I assume that by the time he won his first national title, he represented Ontario (or at least one of its sections). I could be wrong about that, but that would be my best guess.

so for those of you experts, is sebastien britten the only quebecois to ever win the men title????

I don't know my figure skating history well enough to answer your question, but clearly there are too few guys from la belle province who became Canadian champions, and it would be tragic if Sébastien is the only one in 110+ years! :eek:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So he tricked the unicorn into ramming his horn into a tree?

Somehow I think I prefer the idea of Patrick conquering the unicorn with his maidenly charms. :laugh:

well... the avatar is a vision from blueberryhill about my response to skaterboy in some ways, I said that his views are so negative that they destroy any sense of happiness, joy and magic.... i used the unicorn to express that....

I think that the avatar goes beyond this as we can see a lot of magical creatures or phenoms, like the rainbow, the leprechaun, the unicorn and PChiddy... I guess this photo is timed well with the St. Patrick's celebrations... Btw : the unicorn is just running freely, and unconquered ;) let's focus on the beauty of magic ;)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

This narrative is a complete misrepresentation of the facts. Have you ever considered politics?