2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It's the week before Worlds so feelings and thoughts are pouring out from people. Though Olympic prognostication is a bit premature, I would think. You'll never know who'll emerge to wipe the floor with your favs.

It's teleconference week and there's been some live tweeting going on. Lois Elfman has info from the Canadians: https://twitter.com/LoisElfman

Patrick's changed the order of his jumps in the FS. He's starting off with 4T, 4S, and 3A-3S. :think:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's the week before Worlds so feelings and thoughts are pouring out from people. Though Olympic prognostication is a bit premature, I would think. You'll never know who'll emerge to wipe the floor with your favs.

It's teleconference week and there's been some live tweeting going on. Lois Elfman has info from the Canadians: https://twitter.com/LoisElfman

Patrick's changed the order of his jumps in the FS. He's starting off with 4T, 4S, and 3A-3S. :think:

do you mean 4t-3t, 4s, 3a-1/2loop-3s?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
According to the interviews, Patrick's new layout will probably be something like, if I'm not mistaken:

4T-3T 4S 3A-1Lo-3s // 4T 3A 3Lo 3Lz-2T 3F

This would increase his BV from 92.76 to 94.25, given all level 4s. It's a small increase, but it's something. He would garner a tiny bit more BV if he used the 3A combo in the second half.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
According to the interviews, Patrick's new layout will probably be something like, if I'm not mistaken:

4T-3T 4S 3A-1Lo-3s // 4T 3A 3Lo 3Lz-2T 3F

This would increase his BV from 92.76 to 94.25, given all level 4s. It's a small increase, but it's something. He would garner a tiny bit more BV if he used the 3A combo in the second half.

The new layout is also meant to hopefully improve his 4S landing success rate. It's a new challenge to try according to Patrick. Moving up the 3A combo ensures he would not miss a combo with no chance of making up for it later in the program.

Go Patrick go!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The new layout is also meant to hopefully improve his 4S landing success rate. It's a new challenge to try according to Patrick. Moving up the 3A combo ensures he would not miss a combo with no chance of making up for it later in the program.

Go Patrick go!

That's a good point. If his first 3A landing doesn't work out to attach the combo, he can always try on the second.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
To clarify what happened

Lynn Rutherford tweeted out that Patrick's doing a 3A-3S sequence: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/844268500076191744
IFS mentioned he's starting with a 4T, 4S, 3A: https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/844263821074186243
Bev Smith cleared it up mostly by mentioning it's 4T+3T, 4S, 3A-1Lo-3S: https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2017/03/21/patrick-chans-new-plan-of-attack/

Reading that article I think Patrick's found a new level of maturity. Working with a sport psychologist, increasing his tech, going further in an effort to become more consistent and competitive. This is good to see.

Gabby and Luba/Dylan skated their short programs yesterday in Oakville for a Worlds simulation. Videos and clips were shared on Twitter (you can get the clips in the video descriptions).

Gabby: http://dai.ly/x5fmvy9
I/M: http://dai.ly/x5fmkk9

Gabby tried the 3T+3T shortly after and got it right. Luba & Dylan were practicing the side by side jumps a few more times and also some bits of their free skate. She landed the throw 3Lo. Crowd was very supportive of them and was shouting encouragement to Luba. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
Alaine Chartrand is getting into the show season....Baltimore, Prescott, Gananoque.....

Here's a promo gif, with her training mate Matthew Markell, for the 50th anniversary show of for their hometown club in Prescott, Ontario.

Hope Alaine has some fun and finds some new energy [as well as honorariums] that will help in her upcoming training.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Practice clip from Tessa: https://www.instagram.com/p/BR_zyYMFteX/?taken-by=tessavirtue17

Also plenty being shared from their pre-worlds call on twitter.

Lynn Rutherford:

On call @tessavirtue @ScottMoir: "Frankly this is the most prepared we've been for Worlds our whole career." #helsinki2017 1/2
More from @ScottMoir: "At times we miss training with @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite. We did have a great run with them." #helsinki2017 2/2

And Lois Elfman has a ton of quotes. A few:

"It's not a big secret we've come back with the Olympics in mind," said Moir. "We're surprised how much we enjoy it day to day."

"We're still enjoying it every day, probably more than we ever have in our career," said Moir. Enjoy the moment.

They don't know if they'll do worlds after Olympics in 2018. Remains to be seen. Moir. Hard to pass up the chance to do the programs again.

We always make our decisions based on what we want to do. We came back because we want to skate and have more to give.

There are arts and culture everywhere in Montreal. Virtue joined a group at a local museum. Arts hv influenced their skating.

Moir said he can see Papadakis & Cizeron are working intently and want to win. We watch with a more positive spin now.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I was just looking at the entry list for Triglav Trophy and I saw Vasilisa Matantseva is entered alongside Mckenna Colthrop in Junior Ladies. Vasilisa is the 2016 pre-novice ladies champ. I'm not sure what happened to Emily Bausback who mentioned she would be competing here.
But good for BC/YK to send out their girls to get international experience. Good job Ted & co!

TGee

Record Breaker
I was just looking at the entry list for Triglav Trophy and I saw Vasilisa Matantseva is entered alongside Mckenna Colthrop in Junior Ladies. Vasilisa is the 2016 pre-novice ladies champ. I'm not sure what happened to Emily Bausback who mentioned she would be competing here.
But good for BC/YK to send out their girls to get international experience. Good job Ted & co!

Great to see BC/YK leading the way to get its up and coming skaters more international experience at the point in their development that they really need it. :agree:

I was wondering about other disciplines, but see that this competition is for men's and ladies' singles only.

And amused to see that the info package for the event profiles a long list of senior ISU championship medallists that skated at the event in their early years. Looks as though this has been a fairly popular choice for a spring ISU experience-building event. Guess fans of Canadian skating need to get more familiar with the array 'B' events in Europe, if we want to cheer the skaters and their sections on as they stretch themselves. Just wish these events had livestream though....;)

TGee

Record Breaker
Uhm, on the media 'darts and laurels' side of this thread.......

:agree: To CBC Sports for putting up a banner ad promoting its coverage of Canadians at Worlds next week....

But a huge dart :dev2: and :rolleye: that the content side of the house didn't ensure that the ad's 'Learn More' link went to something more recent than a February article on Patrick Chan's preparation for 4CCs.

How is it that the advertising and promotion side of the 'mother company' thinks that figure skating has an audience that needs a heads up and promotion to draw it in, but that the content side doesn't have the same priority?

Is it too much to ask to have a facebook feature, a preview article and a boost for their livestream and broadcast coverage at this point? [snark intended]:scratch2:

BTW Here are the CBC broadcast schedules for its coverage of Worlds:

CBC livestream

CBC TV [time delayed] schedule can be accessed by hitting the tab on the livestream page as there is no separate link.

Last edited:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^ TGee, are you saying that CBC beyond PChiddy and Scott and Tessa, have largely ignored other skaters? Even though Duhamel and Radford, and Kaetlyn Osmond are podium contenders this season. Well, we are still searching for PJ Kwong after her trip to the beach in Nice. Rumour has it, that she and Pooh-Bear had a great time exploring the shores. We are still awaiting her reviews.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I think we're gonna see articles come Monday. They're airing Junior Worlds stuff tomorrow. Gotta get through that first, likely.

Andrea82

Medalist

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If someone told me that I would love a program by a 6 ft tall, 18-year old man to Mary Poppins, I would have thought they were crazy. But I DO. He really sells it, without being too juvenile or cheesy or over the top.

Carol Lane had a similar reaction because she said in yesterday's CBC coverage of Junior Worlds, "You never thought a 6 ft guy could do Mary Poppins and make you love it, but he did!"

However, when skated to the brilliance that is Shae-Lynn Bourne, be prepared to have expectations surpassed. As in both Nic's Mary Poppins and Elvis program this year; just remarkable in terms of choreography.

It was Sylvain Bouillère who choreographed the Mary Poppins LP. Shae-Lynn worked on the "For Me, Formidable" SP.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Hi Trillium,

NO idea... we hope you will grace us with reports from Finland! Welcome to the forum and we are thrilled your first post is in this specific thread!

Post often!!!!

Bad news : Eric is injured and cannot really jump as normal... he fell in practice on the 3lz. :(

TGee

Record Breaker
^^ TGee, are you saying that CBC beyond PChiddy and Scott and Tessa, have largely ignored other skaters? Even though Duhamel and Radford, and Kaetlyn Osmond are podium contenders this season. Well, we are still searching for PJ Kwong after her trip to the beach in Nice. Rumour has it, that she and Pooh-Bear had a great time exploring the shores. We are still awaiting her reviews.

Well, as of the weekend, she'd managed a feature on reputation judging, with the Lipinski/Kwan showdown at Nagano. Good piece, but could have been filed whenever, so why didn't they at least get that up and a 'which Canadians will be at Worlds?" before the weekend....so that the banner ad went somewhere with recent content.

It looks as though the CBC figures skating postings have suddenly caught up...

-Worlds as Olympic preview
-Eric's injury
-Weaver/Poge fight back

And the coverage page, and live blog pages are up too....

So, I'm thinking that the dearth of new content on the weekend might have been an editor/producer level snafu, and that at least some of the content was in the can before Pooh hit the beach in Nice....;)

But honestly, as someone who has been hoping that Skate Canada would ditch the CTV/TSN coverage of SCI and Nationals, this is really undermining my arguments....:biggrin: