2016 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Mens SP

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Pretty sure she is with him currently and I would assume she will be there in Boston.

So sweet but I guess I come frome a real poor family - how does one afford that if they are a student/skater???? Hope he takes advantage of the situation and does well as the top American currently.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
So sweet but I guess I come frome a real poor family - how does one afford that if they are a student/skater???? Hope he takes advantage of the situation and does well as the top American currently.

Well Grant has been able to afford to skate without grand prixs for years now. This year he got 2 4th place finishes that he did get money for that he may not have. Does not seem unreasonable to set some of that aside for her trip. Plus she may still have frequent flyer miles. And I think United is a sponsor of USFSA, so I suspect they could likely get at least as good a deal as a rabid bargain hunter.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I believe seeing what we have seen it is possible all three American men could be in the top ten come worlds especially in the usa. It is also possible though doubtful being in the US none make top ten. I wonder if it is possible at the rate Chan is going if he might not even make the top ten. Three Japanese men can beat him; Ten, Fernades, an American or two, Brezina, Bychenko Kovutun, Yan, Boi. Kind of feel sad for him. I am worried he will have that Brian Orser mentality. AFter his loss to Boitano at the Olympics if you look at his competitive life as a pro it was like he gave up and was destined to be behind Boitano and all. I realize hanyu is far superior technically and has a quirky personality that is loveable and Fernandes has the personality and sexiness/showmanship - but while Patrick is not technically as proficient in respect to pure skating he is a real skater. Sad that it looks like we might not even see him in 2018. I hope something can be done to save this guy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well Grant has been able to afford to skate without grand prixs for years now. This year he got 2 4th place finishes that he did get money for that he may not have. Does not seem unreasonable to set some of that aside for her trip. Plus she may still have frequent flyer miles. And I think United is a sponsor of USFSA, so I suspect they could likely get at least as good a deal as a rabid bargain hunter.

I think having the support of a loved one is so important. Hope this serves her well.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Han Yan skated maybe his best SP ever. Should have been easily in 2nd for me, way ahead of Shoma, who had a problematic Quad and overall was a bit slower and less over his blade in this performance.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Han Yan skated maybe his best SP ever. Should have been easily in 2nd for me, way ahead of Shoma, who had a problematic Quad and overall was a bit slower and less over his blade in this performance.

Hans spins let him down big-time. He's constantly losing points on them. Otherwise I'd have him in second too, a mid-90 score. Such beautiful skating and though some people don't like it, entertaining performance ability.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I believe seeing what we have seen it is possible all three American men could be in the top ten come worlds especially in the usa. It is also possible though doubtful being in the US none make top ten. I wonder if it is possible at the rate Chan is going if he might not even make the top ten. Three Japanese men can beat him; Ten, Fernades, an American or two, Brezina, Bychenko Kovutun, Yan, Boi. Kind of feel sad for him. I am worried he will have that Brian Orser mentality. AFter his loss to Boitano at the Olympics if you look at his competitive life as a pro it was like he gave up and was destined to be behind Boitano and all. I realize hanyu is far superior technically and has a quirky personality that is loveable and Fernandes has the personality and sexiness/showmanship - but while Patrick is not technically as proficient in respect to pure skating he is a real skater. Sad that it looks like we might not even see him in 2018. I hope something can be done to save this guy.

The picture is not as dark as that for Patrick! His Free skates have been strong all year...I mean 190 points strong. Other than Yuzu, Fernandez and Shoma, no one else has reached that this year. -So chances of top 4 in the worlds is more than likely.

His SP, though still glitchy, is better here than all year, if he puts down another 190+ score in the FS he could win 4CC without too much problem.

I like the watching the mens event more than ever now that there is so much strong technical rivalry amongst the men, and strong performers too. Patrick hasn't gotten worse, the others have pulled up- which is good for the sport as a whole.

Anything could happen in the Free Skate. Let's see.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker

Well, there is no chance of 3 Japanese men beating Patrick because Japan only has two spots...

I don't think Patrick's done or considers himself to be done. How many skaters are capable of scoring over 190 with one quad and one 3A? You have to be a great skater to achieve that. Even guys with multiple quads can't pull that off. Only 2 skaters have scored higher FS scores than him this season, and the judges still know he's got beautiful SS. It would take a real disaster for Patrick to be placed behind Kovtun, Bychenko and even the American men, and even then because they're also very inconsistent. I don't know what's with the SP, if he's not too comfortable with it, but he seems right at home with his FS. When he skates like he knows how, very few can take on him.

I think a top 5 finish at Worlds is very likely.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... .Patrick = Please don't make excuses about the ice, the ice dancers and pairs all use the same ice, you know.

Both Poje and Weaver did have comments about the ice in Taipei:

Poje explained that they the ice felt different than what they were used to and it threw them off a bit.

“But that’s not an excuse for our performance,” said the 28-year-old. ....

“No one is perfect and we’ve had a pretty spectacular season thus far,” 26-year-old Weaver added. “Sometimes it just doesn’t happen. I think we had a few distractions—mainly the ice quality—which I think took our focus a little bit away from the normal things. Everything felt a little different, a little bit less speed, a little bit less flowing momentum.” ...

http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/02/4ccs-dance/ (Feb 18)​

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Re-watching the videos posted by Sabinfire, they announced Max as US Champ. Seems like a lot of people are making this mistake.
:laugh2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Chan should use an old short? I just feel kind of sad that such a talent can't get it together and really seems like everyone can beat him.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Well NBC not interviewing him prior to nationals and it fired him up... maybe this will do the same.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ermmm... chan skated relatively well... yeah it wasn't perfect but it was an improvement on his other international skates of his SP. He has been struggling like other north american skaters with the ice conditions and in his case, as he skates with deep edges, he cannot get the usual feel and flow he usually gets... so... under the circumstances, he did very well... too bad he couldn't make the triple toe on the combo... that would have given him the few more points he needs to be closer to the top... and too bad judges give PCS like candy at halloween nowadays...

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re-watching the videos posted by Sabinfire, they announced Max as US Champ. Seems like a lot of people are making this mistake.
:laugh2:

Yes Adam.

Oh, sorry, Stitch. Now I think I see -- that you were responding to the post from Specs.

It's a real shame that the Universal HD announcer was confused.
Certainly not fair to Adam.
And not fair to Max either, who would not want to be credited with a title that does not belong to him.

ETA, p.s.: Thanks to sabinfire :bow: for the Universal HD videos.​

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim, who took two years off, would argue otherwise. Let's not pretend it's impossible.

But Yuna just came back for like only 4 international competitions (NRW Trophy, 2013 Worlds, Zagreb and Sochi) and she also took some time to warm up. It is hard to compare when one chose to come back for a FULL season to someone who just came back for like a one-time thing.