2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, Z/G got nowhere with Zhulin in a couple of seasons, so maybe a coaching change can do them some good. Also, being the third team with one coach to being number two (possibly one) with another certainly is not that hard to choose.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, Z/G got nowhere with Zhulin in a couple of seasons, so maybe a coaching change can do them some good. Also, being the third team with one coach to being number two (possibly one) with another certainly is not that hard to choose.

A sideways move to nowhere actually. Oh Russia, have mercy on us poor fans.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
And well, its not like there are results either.

Exactly, so why move unless they were told it would be in their best interest to move, considering the goings on. I cannot begin to imagine how charged the environment will be. Bobrova should be in a state though working in the same rink with Katsalapov. They're all just great pals though. Oh to just be a fly on the wall, haha.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
Was really hoping for Z/G to be coached in North America (cough cough Montreal), but you know what, I think they made the right move. Third priority is simply unacceptable. Also, Kustarova is better than Zhulin in choreography, so hopefully they get to beat S/K this season!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Was really hoping for Z/G to be coached in North America (cough cough Montreal), but you know what, I think they made the right move. Third priority is simply unacceptable.

Because in Montreal they wouldn't be third priority?
True. Likely fifth or lower.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

They'd still get equal time though, if there was room for them. That's how the Montreal school works. Super scheduled, everyone gets equal time, everyone knows everyone's schedule. I'm not saying that would have been the right move, but by all accounts the lower level teams get good attention there. So it might matter less what priority they were.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice

What SnowWhite said and at least, Montreal will be able to give them well-packaged programs... Fourth-best team with a lot more upsides than Zhulin's third priority and crap programs. I just think it will work with Z/G.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure Russian ice dancing is all doom and gloom - sure they do not have a team primed for an Oly medal though an outside chance at bronze but they still essentially have two top ten teams or hovering around top ten. Its not like Canada's women figure skating team in the past where they were struggling to find one lady to make the top ten or American pairs in the past and arguably now where they still make more of an impact.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I am not sure Russian ice dancing is all doom and gloom - sure they do not have a team primed for an Oly medal though an outside chance at bronze but they still essentially have two top ten teams or hovering around top ten. Its not like Canada's women figure skating team in the past where they were struggling to find one lady to make the top ten or American pairs in the past and arguably now where they still make more of an impact.

But Have they traded dance for ladies in terms of funding and other resources or no one in Russia has the talent to make winners in ice dance? Like ice dance teams and coaches no longer have the talent to win.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Cup of Russia
Bobrova soloviev
Stepanova Bukin
TBA?? Davankova?

Skate Canada
Loboda Drozd

Cup of China
Bobrova soloviev
zagorski Guerrierio

NHK trophy
Sinitsina Katsalapov (cruel!!! Arguably Worst performances in ice dance history given by S/k at this event)

France
Stepanova Bukin
Loboda drozd

Skate America
Sinitsina Katsalapov
Zagorski guerriero

Medal projection!
Silver and bronze for b/S

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How did Loboda drozd get two GP's while the Jr World champions have only one considering the Parsons beat them head to head all last season?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How did Loboda drozd get two GP's while the Jr World champions have only one considering the Parsons beat them head to head all last season?

The Parsons were skipped. It had nothing to do with Loboda & Drozd. They were in line to get two and may have benefited from I&Z pulling out as well. But host federations deliberately skipped the Parsons and invited teams that would be easier for their host teams to defeat. France appears to have wheeled & dealed (a couple countries probably wanted spots for someone else at TDF). I'm sure the U.S. did as well, but it was always a big ask to get this many top U.S. dance teams double invites. If it makes you feel better, Stepanova & Bukin only received one GP invite the year they were Junior World Champions also. And for the very same reason. Russia & the U.S. have the deepest dance fields on the GP.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
The Parsons were skipped. It had nothing to do with Loboda & Drozd. They were in line to get two and may have benefited from I&Z pulling out as well. But host federations deliberately skipped the Parsons and invited teams that would be easier for their host teams to defeat. France appears to have wheeled & dealed (a couple countries probably wanted spots for someone else at TDF). I'm sure the U.S. did as well, but it was always a big ask to get this many top U.S. dance teams double invites. If it makes you feel better, Stepanova & Bukin only received one GP invite the year they were Junior World Champions also. And for the very same reason. Russia & the U.S. have the deepest dance fields on the GP.

Exactly! Because Parsons are winners obviously!

Nathan13

Medalist

Assuming they skate well at their first assignment, I can't imagine the Parsons not getting the remaining host spot at SA...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Assuming they skate well at their first assignment, I can't imagine the Parsons not getting the remaining host spot at SA...

Not sure why you can't. The Parsons had the better season this year, but it's likely to come down to two teams with Junior World Champion gold, Junior World Champion silver, 5 Junior World appearances each, and @11 JGP medals each. Their personal best scores are one point apart, and are #22 and #24 on the all-time scoring list. They've been trading placements for at least 5 years now. At the very least, one should imagine it will happen again.

The Parsons have the tougher GP draw (at Rostelecom with 5 of the top eleven teams in the World). McNamara & Carpenter have Cup of China (with three).

But I don't this will come down to the GP.

I think there's a good chance the Parsons and McNamara & Carpenter will compete head-to-head first, either at the Lake Placid International or the U.S. Classic. And I don't think USFSA will rush to announce. Both teams are on the replacement list. The Parsons are either at the top or right behind Coomes & Buckland. McNamara & Carpenter are next. USFSA can wait and see if one of them can win a placement elsewhere.