2017 CS Autumn Classic Pairs FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Autumn Classic Pairs FS

skatemouse

On the Ice
Here are things how I saw them...
I repeat : i am not a former skater... I haven't watched protocols... I know the results though. I will share how I saw things, as a fan (with some knowledge) and I am doing so without having read the thread. That way, my opinions won't be influenced by either the technical panel nor people at home or other fans at the venue...

I thought it would be more interesting that way... perhaps ;)

Pairs is one of my favourite discipline... after men... but I have to say that if it starts with the Australian pair again, I am skipping. They were there last year, they are still as scary as they were... thankfully I had already been to the washroom so I didn't wet my pants. Seriously... i am all for giving a chance to everyone to aspire at getting better but I couldn't help thinking about ancientpeas: Marinaro Sauce is a king of lifts compared to this team.

Enough said.

American team : nice recovery at the 3s throw point.. but it was a disaster until then.... I was getting anxious... .

then, Kim Kam came out. I remembered them as well from last year... oh boy!!! they have improved so much... Alex is let's just put it this way : very cute ;) and without being the tallest guy, he still shows up strong. I loved their performance.... not sure if it were the same program as last year or at least the same costumes.... in any case, I was happy to see their growth.

Already with pairs, one flight down, and YAY!!! no zamboni break and the final flight is there....

I feel that we are in for a treat as I like these 4 pairs. C/T... yay!! they sort of land their first jump... I am excited... maybe they... damn... sigh... down... ugh.... I am not understanding C/T... I started as a fan, well I just love Mervin ;) but sigh.. it's been long enough now to start gelling a bit better than that. It's nice that they are making some moves into their career, like Mervin getting residency but they won't get anywhere if they keep performing like this... Super disappointed here... :(

S/B : after all what they have been through last year, and considering they had a great ACI (they won it over the French) last year... i am just relieved to see them deliver her. I love this team. Charlie is growing up and becoming stronger... julianne has always been rock solid and a star. I like their programs this year so I hope they will make the team.

J/C : not so sure about this program. feels flat....but will wait to see how it develops... it seems like they are playing it safer here. I am not as enthusiastic as I was last year at ACI... though, it's a good outing and much cleaner than last year's ACI. I am used to be wowed with quad attempts and crazy transitions and arm variations... it's just... "okay... great job guys"...

D/R : where do I start? sigh... first I like Meagan's hair and so on... but I don't feel red is the colour for this programs... I don't know... anyways... that's very shallow so I decide to ignore my own MEH about the costume and I sit back, excited like a kid, for MUSE... that's the program I love the most from them... well... maybe it will change as I loved the new SP.... it starts.... triple twist seems good but then the landing is a bit tight... but I am far away so I am not sure...

then... something I never thought could happen happened... Meagan fell...once... twice... thrice... I am like omg... the first time, well... i wasn't 100% surprised since she popped the lutz and doubled it in the warm up...though she also landed a very good one, with a nice edge (no leaning forward)..... but then, I realised that she had to play catch up to get to the 3salchow and that didn't work out.... the jumps are too close from one another... and I don't blame them because they usually never fall but it's not a good idea... they need something to shake off in between if something like this happens... the fall on the quad throw... oh well..

that was enough to kill the performance... there was no life in the building... yet, we were just half way there.... I was very sad as it is most likely the last time I see them skate live in competition.... the positive : they worked really hard on their lines and presentation... the opening is so good. Meagan and Eric are powerful and fast, and deserve way more credit than people are willing to give them....

Someone in the milieu told me that people were already getting on the "you need a new LP" bandwagon... I am not so sure about that... perhaps it was a mistake to bring it back up... but here is something I want to remind everyone : last year, at Souvenir Georges-Ethier....a tiny summer event...Meagan and Eric skated a clean LP... and that was the only time that season they did so....I'd prefer they peak when it counts...

The French team deserved to win. However, it was a lack luster event.

My awards

Best improved : Kim and Kam
Biggest disappointment : D/R
Canadian honorary award : S/B...

Special award to Vanessa who loves performing in Canada and was profusely thanking the crowd for the standing O. They are really loved here and of course, there is a Canadian connection... 5 of the 7 team have at least one Canadian or train in Canada..

Wow this was perfect. Watching it I felt this too. J/C hmmm "I'm giving up on you" played over and over as they smiled. IT was sloppy but that is not surprising so early but it seemed off somehow and flat will work as a description. The over inflated marks though?they do matter as they are compared to all the Senior B's and the other ones have been judged harshly in my opinion so far. Strange. I was wondering if it just seemed better in person and apparently not. Not having a costume as they smiled though I'm giving up on you I guess just didn't work for me. Their element's are big but very very sloppy except they... I don't know still. It was strange.

S/B were really good I thought but no connection to the music? Or maybe they do? Or maybe it is new program? but thought it was skated well just didn't feel much.
D/R will come back they always do and not everyone likes their skating. I appreciate them being athletic.
C/T I thought were given very very high marks for what they did? I think they should be done but it just keeps going.
I felt bad for the other USA team they have had struggles too.
The marks though were not deserved and it does matter as they count. So I wish if the judges were giving harsh marks or inflated they would at least be consistent with all the Senior B's.
Thanks for the feed back it was good!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
was there.. dreamboat came to me by the bleachers... when you read my ice dance report... you will die

I'm headed over to the ice dance threads in a few minutes, so brace yourself for an early morning "knock" on your door with a battering ram in just a few short hours if I see you've been macking on my man. It's only an hour long fight from my neck of the woods to your neck of the woods. Be afraid, Be very afraid.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
One of my issues with MM, 4eversuspenders ...

:laugh2::rofl:

I was just reminded of how much I love you.

I've missed all-y'all in the old gang and I'm so glad that our proverbial band is back together again after our summer competition hiatus. Do you think we can top last year's shenanigans this season? Is that even remotely possible?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am wondering if this is the end or the demise of Duhamel and Radford. What a disaster in a well known and loved program..

Oh come on Skater Boy, one poor performance does not a successful season make. Recall the 2016 World Championships? Meagan and Eric were written off that season before it even began, and we all know the end result. ;) :cheer: