2017 CS Autumn Classic Pairs FS | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 CS Autumn Classic Pairs FS

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Well done J/C. I'm sure this will give them lots of confidence going forward.

Sad for D/R but I'm sure Meagan will get the jumps back soon.

Hard to believe that that was only the 5th run through for S/B. So many concussion problems. :cry:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Awww, shucks. Poor Meagan. :( I have never seen she and Eric and Bruno so stone faced and quiet in the kiss and cry.

I'm not too worried, the season has just begun! Better to have these bumps in the road early on, there's plenty of time to get back on track, and you know Meagan will come out of the gate fighting at their next competition.

Congrats to J/C for the win, D/R for silver, and my favourite cuties S/B for the bronze!

Now over to the men's thread... I can feel the impeding lag starting already. :laugh:

frida80

Record Breaker
Congrats to Vanessa and Morgan. I can see how much they've worked on their programs and it's really shows. That said, I'm concerned about Megan. Three falls? I hope nothing is wrong and it's just early season bumbles.

skatemouse

On the Ice
That was not a 137 FS though but hey? They gave it to them so I would take it and run. It was really sloppy not just the bra showing and practice outfits but they sort of didn't commit? or had a weird attitude can't explain it? Maybe too confident? Or not being in costumes and not feeling ready they just smiled through a sad and dramatic program. It was weird but like I said run. C/T got a huge gift too. That was strange.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Okay, I have to say... J/C scoring 137 is a joke. That's something S/H or S/M or S/K would get if they made the same mistakes and honestly... J/C aren't in the same league as far as skating quality goes. I appreciate their unique style but let's be real, their ss aren't up there with the top contenders.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I'm rooting for J/C this season but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth... We've come to expect unclean programs in Pairs but these kinds of podium don't please anyone. Nothing seems to go right for D/R these days and it hurts to see Meagan, whose excitement is usually so contagious, looking so crushed. They have good programs this season so I hope they can push through.

skatemouse

On the Ice
okay, i have to say... J/c scoring 137 is a joke. That's something s/h or s/m or s/k would get if they made the same mistakes and honestly... J/c aren't in the same league as far as skating quality goes. I appreciate their unique style but let's be real, their ss aren't up there with the top contenders.

exactly!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am wondering if this is the end or the demise of Duhamel and Radford. What a disaster in a well known and loved program. And J/C deserved the win but really diappointed me. The quality of skating is not really there - I would still give T and M betterskating skills by far. Sui and Han have OGM in the bag and if not Savchenko seems to h ave the talent, the willpower and the luck to take the title. Nice effort by S and B considering everything. I am a bit surprised the Americans didn't beat them. Which is more based upon the Americans really not doing well here.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I am wondering if this is the end or the demise of Duhamel and Radford. What a disaster in a well known and loved program. And J/C deserved the win but really diappointed me. The quality of skating is not really there - I would still give T and M betterskating skills by far. Sui and Han have OGM in the bag and if not Savchenko seems to h ave the talent, the willpower and the luck to take the title. Nice effort by S and B considering everything. I am a bit surprised the Americans didn't beat them. Which is more based upon the Americans really not doing well here.

Well, I wouldn't hit the panic button for anyone at this point in the season. Won't be surprised if they come back strong this season. But the thing is, D/R are rather disappointing in the performance and artistry aspect when they don't nail all the elements, not to mention the ss aren't quite as good as, say, s/h or s/k. With s/h's disappointing LP, i'd say savchenko will be a big threat(well, she is either way) as I hear their programs are great. But she'll need to clean up the throw landings, and in a just world S/M don't really deserve higher pcs than S/H, who are more evenly matched in ss, etc. T/M- great skills, but everything else is so...boring. The "it" factor, the programs... i don't see an OGM. A medal, yes. I liked seeing J/C break through last season, but as you said, the lack of quality compared to the other top pairs keeps me from really seeing them as actual medal contenders, or wanting higher pcs for them.

Happy for a decent outing by S/B. I'm not the biggest fans of their style but they have lovely qualities and I hope they can stay healthy this season. I'm not sure why it was surprising to see C/T beaten? They've never been able to put the sbs jumps together, even more inconsistent than the Chinese, probably, which is quite an accomplishment. Which is a shame, since they're better skaters than the other American pairs.

andromache

Record Breaker
Lots of unnecessary pessimism here. Pairs has been the messiest discipline (maybe tied with men) for a few years now. And it's SEPTEMBER. We're seeing the inflated marks because it's an Olympic season, and it's annoying, but as long as the right people place correctly, right? D/R had what might be their best SP ever. Evidently, the LP isn't there yet. There is time. It's okay. Meanwhile, J/C are my darlings, so I will defend their win until I die. I'm biased, I admit it. I just love how modern and sexy they are. It's totally unlike any other pair out there. Their skating itself is beneath the level of T/M, S/H, Russian S/K, and S/M, but hey, they are still a top pair, and their choreography is better than and more difficult than what some of those pairs are doing.

Unfortunately J/C aren't the most gifted due to being from a smaller federation (though being from France is still WAYYYY better than being from another non-Russian European country), so I think an Olympic medal is quite unlikely. But Worlds 2018 and the season after will be a great field for them to dominate in and cement their legacy, if they decide not to continue to 2022.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Lots of unnecessary pessimism here. Pairs has been the messiest discipline (maybe tied with men) for a few years now. And it's SEPTEMBER. We're seeing the inflated marks because it's an Olympic season, and it's annoying, but as long as the right people place correctly, right? D/R had what might be their best SP ever. Evidently, the LP isn't there yet. There is time. It's okay. Meanwhile, J/C are my darlings, so I will defend their win until I die. I'm biased, I admit it. I just love how modern and sexy they are. It's totally unlike any other pair out there. Their skating itself is beneath the level of T/M, S/H, Russian S/K, and S/M, but hey, they are still a top pair, and their choreography is better than and more difficult than what some of those pairs are doing.

Unfortunately J/C aren't the most gifted due to being from a smaller federation (though being from France is still WAYYYY better than being from another non-Russian European country), so I think an Olympic medal is quite unlikely. But Worlds 2018 and the season after will be a great field for them to dominate in and cement their legacy, if they decide not to continue to 2022.

I'd be thrilled to see them win a medal at worlds or the Olympics. I'm a fan.
My heart is with S/H but really in the end I want the people who skate the best to win.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Vanessa and Morgan. I can see how much they've worked on their programs and it's really shows. That said, I'm concerned about Megan. Three falls? I hope nothing is wrong and it's just early season bumbles.

I'm thinking it's early season jitters. They should take the positive of their strong SP. Meagan just wasn't feeling it today. Even Eric's SBS jumps weren't particularly strong. Not worried about them though. One clean program out of 2 isn't bad, in a season where they're trying to bounce back.

Congrats to J/C! That's a confidence builder and that 4STh was one of the best yet! They can really gun for that bronze at the Olympics, IMO. Much more interesting now. The score is a bit high (70 PCS isn't really merited), but this team has always been a sentimental fave.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
report from the venue PAIRS

Here are things how I saw them...
I repeat : i am not a former skater... I haven't watched protocols... I know the results though. I will share how I saw things, as a fan (with some knowledge) and I am doing so without having read the thread. That way, my opinions won't be influenced by either the technical panel nor people at home or other fans at the venue...

I thought it would be more interesting that way... perhaps ;)

Pairs is one of my favourite discipline... after men... but I have to say that if it starts with the Australian pair again, I am skipping. They were there last year, they are still as scary as they were... thankfully I had already been to the washroom so I didn't wet my pants. Seriously... i am all for giving a chance to everyone to aspire at getting better but I couldn't help thinking about ancientpeas: Marinaro Sauce is a king of lifts compared to this team.

Enough said.

American team : nice recovery at the 3s throw point.. but it was a disaster until then.... I was getting anxious... .

then, Kim Kam came out. I remembered them as well from last year... oh boy!!! they have improved so much... Alex is let's just put it this way : very cute ;) and without being the tallest guy, he still shows up strong. I loved their performance.... not sure if it were the same program as last year or at least the same costumes.... in any case, I was happy to see their growth.

Already with pairs, one flight down, and YAY!!! no zamboni break and the final flight is there....

I feel that we are in for a treat as I like these 4 pairs. C/T... yay!! they sort of land their first jump... I am excited... maybe they... damn... sigh... down... ugh.... I am not understanding C/T... I started as a fan, well I just love Mervin ;) but sigh.. it's been long enough now to start gelling a bit better than that. It's nice that they are making some moves into their career, like Mervin getting residency but they won't get anywhere if they keep performing like this... Super disappointed here... :(

S/B : after all what they have been through last year, and considering they had a great ACI (they won it over the French) last year... i am just relieved to see them deliver her. I love this team. Charlie is growing up and becoming stronger... julianne has always been rock solid and a star. I like their programs this year so I hope they will make the team.

J/C : not so sure about this program. feels flat....but will wait to see how it develops... it seems like they are playing it safer here. I am not as enthusiastic as I was last year at ACI... though, it's a good outing and much cleaner than last year's ACI. I am used to be wowed with quad attempts and crazy transitions and arm variations... it's just... "okay... great job guys"...

D/R : where do I start? sigh... first I like Meagan's hair and so on... but I don't feel red is the colour for this programs... I don't know... anyways... that's very shallow so I decide to ignore my own MEH about the costume and I sit back, excited like a kid, for MUSE... that's the program I love the most from them... well... maybe it will change as I loved the new SP.... it starts.... triple twist seems good but then the landing is a bit tight... but I am far away so I am not sure...

then... something I never thought could happen happened... Meagan fell...once... twice... thrice... I am like omg... the first time, well... i wasn't 100% surprised since she popped the lutz and doubled it in the warm up...though she also landed a very good one, with a nice edge (no leaning forward)..... but then, I realised that she had to play catch up to get to the 3salchow and that didn't work out.... the jumps are too close from one another... and I don't blame them because they usually never fall but it's not a good idea... they need something to shake off in between if something like this happens... the fall on the quad throw... oh well..

that was enough to kill the performance... there was no life in the building... yet, we were just half way there.... I was very sad as it is most likely the last time I see them skate live in competition.... the positive : they worked really hard on their lines and presentation... the opening is so good. Meagan and Eric are powerful and fast, and deserve way more credit than people are willing to give them....

Someone in the milieu told me that people were already getting on the "you need a new LP" bandwagon... I am not so sure about that... perhaps it was a mistake to bring it back up... but here is something I want to remind everyone : last year, at Souvenir Georges-Ethier....a tiny summer event...Meagan and Eric skated a clean LP... and that was the only time that season they did so....I'd prefer they peak when it counts...

The French team deserved to win. However, it was a lack luster event.

My awards

Best improved : Kim and Kam
Biggest disappointment : D/R
Canadian honorary award : S/B...

Special award to Vanessa who loves performing in Canada and was profusely thanking the crowd for the standing O. They are really loved here and of course, there is a Canadian connection... 5 of the 7 team have at least one Canadian or train in Canada..

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well they do say in theater circles a bad dress rehearsal usually means a good performance when it counts. I wouldn't write D/R off just yet. Thank you for the report 4everchan. Too bad you didn't stand up right at the beginning of a Zamboni Break and scream GOLDENKSKATE.COM RULES!!! JOIN US TODAY!!!

;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yay! It's the best flight!

I got here just in time!

Is 4neverPoje in the live audience, possibly stalking my husband in the Skaters Only area? :ddevil:

was there.. dreamboat came to me by the bleachers... when you read my ice dance report... you will die

nimi

Medalist
Pairs is one of my favourite discipline... after men... but I have to say that if it starts with the Australian pair again, I am skipping. They were there last year, they are still as scary as they were... thankfully I had already been to the washroom so I didn't wet my pants.
dreamboat came to me by the bleachers... when you read my ice dance report... you will die
This is the kind of venue reporting I came here for.:laugh2:
Thanks 4everchan!

Nika09

On the Ice
It seems by the time Pairs Discipline is getting my favorite in any aspect.

Congratulations J/C with the gold!! It was amazing skating, either SP and LP. LP has room to grow. It's joy to watch their programs. Last lift exit and ending is something! They have their own style and keep developing it. Best wishes to them in this Olympic season!

I also think there is noting to worry about D/R. It's first competition of the season and she could be exited and washed-out after SP. Twist was excellent though.
I want to tell about their program. Second part with lyrics was good but first part...It looks more like some background music than part of program. Or music was too loud in the arena.
Anyway good luck for the next competition.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's an Olympic Year. There is ALWAYS Weimar Germany-levels of scoring inflation during the Olympic season. I pay it no mind and simply go with the placements, which are far more revealing this year.

Phew! Always good to scratch an unnecessary one off the Things To Worry About list!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
One of my issues with MM, 4eversuspenders, is that he ruins watching KTM for me. I'm so worried about her getting hurt that it's really all I'm watching. I was okay ish because yes we saw lifts that went down but she never seemed in danger and then the twist at nationals and now I just think he's a bad partner. Sorry, not sorry. Maybe things will change. I hope so because I'm sure next quad will be KTM/MM vs S/B in Canada and I think good competition will push both teams to improve.

- - - Updated - - -

It's an Olympic Year. There is ALWAYS Weimar Germany-levels of scoring inflation during the Olympic season. I pay it no mind and simply go with the placements, which are far more revealing this year.

Phew! Always good to scratch an unnecessary one off the Things To Worry About list!

hehe.. the history major in me loves that reference! :thumbsup:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
okay, after eating I'm feeling my word vomit mojo back, so this will be my bit about Pairs in general (SP and FS combined):)

I kind off see - and dig - the idea of Meagan and Eric this season's material (so good to see Eric healthy!!!): both programs are quite different to show off that they can actually pull off both soft and dynamic concepts, and it works for me. SP is one of their best programs I feel - there is lots of effort, care and thought put into that one and it shows in a good way. I appreciate their effort to present the skill they have in such lyrical, soft way - I like how choreography is made to reflect their athleticism, but also accommodating the feel of the music. It's not a deliberate play to resemble a love story, a 'touchy-feely' moment - for me, it's actually a nice attempt to give out the flow of the music and emotion from lyrics; I'm glad that this balance was found and they stayed true to who they are while being somehow challenged I feel with this soft concept. As for Muse FS reprise - it's their signature program for me, ephasizing in the best way their philosophy and athleticism, there were some changes done and I trust that Meagan's falls and tentativeness were due to nerves/lack of concentration or program being work in progress. One thing about costuming - love her SP dress, going perfectly and so elegant with her hairstyle, but not so sure about FS get-up...For me, it needs more edge, but still balancing hard and soft element in it. I know it won't probably fit 'Samson and Delilah' Muse cover part, but I do see Meagan rocking some kicka** catsuit with more waive in her hair, some bold lip:love:

Vanessa and Morgan are probably the only pair out there for me to pull off songs with lyrics in graceful, believable way - there's just something about them feeling out and connecting to the vibe, power of particular song and giving it all out by movement, choreography and expression thorough the program. It's pretty incredible and beyond cool. The way she commits into everything is amazing to look at and he's, well - he's just good to look at no matter what:laugh:. I love, love that they are playing on their strenghts in terms of producing powerful performances in effortless way - there is never a forced getting into character, a 'love story' enacted on ice, instead there is more of a play onto emotions, their feelings towards the song, its vibe. No literacy, just sophstication and class in every single moment and as a whole picture. SP feels as sensual and edgy like it should be - and there is that fantastic performance quality in terms of building the tension and excitement to watch them the way they captivate the audience. It feels modern, hip, alluring. Love that nonchalant flow of all elements and their trademark kicka** hop-entrance is now on twist:love:, the elements obviously need more seasoning and to gel together fluidly, but boy - they have a winner on their hads, yet again. FS, despite my concerns over music, feels beautiful,emotional and powerful without being obvious or flashy. I love that the music seems to not overpower the performance, ut give it just a right amount of kick and let them shine together. I love how polished it already look, there sure is an idea there and a will to execute it flawlessly to make that huge impact. Love their 4Sth (yay!), entrance to solo jumps, all lifts, spiral into pair spin...So many lovely moments flowing one to another.