2017 Glacier Falls FSC Summer Classic | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 Glacier Falls FSC Summer Classic

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Lenny, assuming this is your twitter, I love your comment about how you felt fit cause you run half-marathons and then changed your mind after seeing skaters here. :laugh: As a runner (or a hobby jogger if you're feeling snobby), I relate to this on so many levels! The amount of fitness needed for 7 minutes of skating programs is unreal.

I remember Jason Brown did a 5k fun run and I checked his time for fun and it was like in the six minute range, lol. I don't know if I can even do one mile at that pace, ha.

Thank you for your reports!!
Hi Mrs. P! I assume you mean 6 minute mile pace?:laugh: That is outstanding for someone who (I assume) isn't a serious runner.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Wow, Karen looks fierce for July. I read some tweets that she is practicing triple axel in harness. If she can master the axel, and that's a big if, she can battle Medvedeva for Oly Gold. Even without axel, she's a podium contender. I pray her boot issues are finally behind her!

Ender

Match Penalty
Wow, Karen looks fierce for July. I read some tweets that she is practicing triple axel in harness. If she can master the axel, and that's a big if, she can battle Medvedeva for Oly Gold. Even without axel, she's a podium contender. I pray her boot issues are finally behind her!
Going for 3A at Olympic is too dangerous. None of the ladies who tried 3A won Olympic.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi Mrs. P! I assume you mean 6 minute mile pace?:laugh: That is outstanding for someone who (I assume) isn't a serious runner.

Yep 6 minute pace. And yes, exactly! I do believe skaters do quite a bit of running as cross training, so it's not that surprising but still impressive.

frida80

Record Breaker
Going for 3A at Olympic is too dangerous. None of the ladies who tried 3A won Olympic.

Nah... Just silver medals. Which wouldn't be bad considering the US hasn't medaled in ladies since 2006.

I doubt she'll debut a 3A this season. It's not ready yet and it's too risky. She's off to a great start. She needs to focus on skating dumb like Kristi advised. The 3A can come for next season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nah... Just silver medals. Which wouldn't be bad considering the US hasn't medaled in ladies since 2006.

I doubt she'll debut a 3A this season. It's not ready yet and it's too risky. She's off to a great start. She needs to focus on skating dumb like Kristi advised. The 3A can come for next season.

I agree with this. At this point, Karen needs to focus on defending her National Title. She doesn't need a 3A to win US Nationals and Med has won back to back World titles without one as well. At this point in the season, these skaters need to focus on staying in their feet and mastering their programs. By the way....Where is the results page for this event?

shmay

On the Ice
Jason's footwork sequence is so beautiful, muzak and all! Love him. Poor thing can't jump for _____ but I love him.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Jason's footwork sequence is so beautiful, muzak and all! Love him. Poor thing can't jump for _____ but I love him.

Umm, no quad yet, but he's got solid jumps through the 3A, and he gets good GOE on them. So not really accurate to say he can't jump.

frida80

Record Breaker
I agree with this. At this point, Karen needs to focus on defending her National Title. She doesn't need a 3A to win US Nationals and Med has won back to back World titles without one as well. At this point in the season, these skaters need to focus on staying in their feet and mastering their programs. By the way....Where is the results page for this event?

Protocols? They won't have those posted for another few days. The results are on the previous page.

Lenny318

On the Ice
Lenny, assuming this is your twitter, I love your comment about how you felt fit cause you run half-marathons and then changed your mind after seeing skaters here. :laugh: As a runner (or a hobby jogger if you're feeling snobby), I relate to this on so many levels! The amount of fitness needed for 7 minutes of skating programs is unreal.

I remember Jason Brown did a 5k fun run and I checked his time for fun and the pace was like in the six minute range, lol. I don't know if I can even do one mile at that pace, ha.

Thank you for your reports!!

Yup that's my personal twitter lol. And daaaayam Jason, a 5k at a 6 minute/mile pace is nuts that's basically my sprinting speed LOL.

skatinggold

On the Ice
If she wants to win the Gold Medal, she should go for the triple axle, she is one of the ladies in the world with the best double axel.. She can do it. Why settle for a silver medal when she can take home the GOLD.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen certainly came to play. Don't know if her FS was worth a 140, but definitely mid 130s, IMO. I'm pretty sick of "Carmen" (I always wonder if Sammi Cesario is going to appear) at this point but she did a good job with the choreo.

I found most of the ladies' music choices uninspiring but it's the Olympic year. I do like Polina's "Palladio" which I think suits her to a T. She finally looks like a grown woman on the ice. I hope she is able to get her lutz and flip back over the next few months. Caroline's 3loop/3loop continues to amaze me, but her step sequence is still so slow.

Happy for Ross winning the men's but he is reusing his FS from last year, so he had an advantage. Grant's programs are so warhorse-y but I enjoy his skating style and he's got such balletic arms. I like what I've seen from Jason so far, too. It's clear that he's still getting used to the choreo and transitions, but he's always committed to the performance.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen certainly came to play. Don't know if her FS was worth a 140, but definitely mid 130s, IMO. I'm pretty sick of "Carmen" (I always wonder if Sammi Cesario is going to appear) at this point but she did a good job with the choreo.

I found most of the ladies' music choices uninspiring but it's the Olympic year. I do like Polina's "Palladio" which I think suits her to a T. She finally looks like a grown woman on the ice. I hope she is able to get her lutz and flip back over the next few months. Caroline's 3loop/3loop continues to amaze me, but her step sequence is still so slow.

Happy for Ross winning the men's but he is reusing his FS from last year, so he had an advantage. Grant's programs are so warhorse-y but I enjoy his skating style and he's got such balletic arms. I like what I've seen from Jason so far, too. It's clear that he's still getting used to the choreo and transitions, but he's always committed to the performance.

Ditto on Carmen. How unimaginative can one be?

On the other hand, we're seeing some new programs with interesting musical choices. I hope that continues.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're right. Make no mistake, he's a very competitive jumper for the Lillehammer era

Oooh, it's on now.

Where's that popcorn emoji when you need it?

ETA: No grief from me... I thought the comment was hilariously snarky. However, the very loyal Jason brigade, and it is a large one, will not take kindly to that shade.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If she wants to win the Gold Medal, she should go for the triple axle, she is one of the ladies in the world with the best double axel.. She can do it. Why settle for a silver medal when she can take home the GOLD.

I believe that Karen has yet to skate two clean programs (3 triple SP, 7 triple LP) back-to-back. Until she can do that, the 3A won't help her move up much.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You're right. Make no mistake, he's a very competitive jumper for the Lillehammer era

Shmay darling, you're changing the goalposts. If you'd said he can't jump quads, I wouldn't have bothered to respond. That's not what you said. Your statement was inaccurate.

shmay

On the Ice
Have figure skating fans always been so irrational and knee-jerk defensive when it comes to their favorites? Or is this more of an internet era thing?

I mean, if in the mid-90s you said something objectively true, like 'Lu Chen is such a fabulous skater on so many levels but her spins are ghastly', would all the skating hausfraus freak out and insist that she was a brilliant spinner?

It's beyond me.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have figure skating fans always been irrationally delusional/defensive when it comes to their favorites? Or is this more of an internet era thing?

I mean, if in the mid-90s you said something objectively true, like 'Lu Chen is such a fabulous skater on so many levels but her spins are ghastly', would all the skating hausfraus freak out and insist that she was a brilliant spinner?

People have always had favorites and rooted hard for them.

However, I think things tipped into open warfare on critiques during the Yuna Kim era. Even the slightest hint of a deficiency in her skating was met with bombast. Her uber-fans were so obnoxious that I actively rooted against her. She had to retire for me to appreciate her good qualities.

I don't know if you were following skating on the internet during that time, but for the record, Jason's staunchest fans are nowhere near that level of discipleship.

Nowadays, people just tend to disagree with each other, and move on.

As for myself, I owe no one my loyalty. Skate well with interesting programs, and I'm your man. Do otherwise, and I'll drift to someone who delivers.