2017 GP NHK Pairs FS | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Pairs FS

bobbob

Medalist
I don't think silver is a sure bet either. After all, D/R skated very well at Skate Canada and beat S/M there (a result that would have still happened even if scoring were outside of Canada). I'm glad S/K brought the 3-3 back, because they needed something to bring to the table technically to stand out. It'll be a very interesting battle.

I also don't think Silver is a sure bet, though I don't think D/R are the main challengers. Why do you claim "a result that would have still happened even if scoring were outside of Canada?"... I personally think S/M were pretty underscored in Canada, and D/R were overscored.

Look at the trends... S/M got scores that were lower than they had been getting for worse programs...at Nebelhorn they got higher TES and PCS even though all four of their throws and SBS were botched, versus only the SBS jumps at Canada. The technical score they received was the lowest they had gotten in over a year, even though they had a couple of even messier skates in that time.

Meanwhile, D/R got the highest PCS scores they had even gotten outside of Worlds 2016, despite a pop in the short and a messy watered down (albeit clean) version of their 14-15 free skate.

The reason for this? To ensure victory for the Canadians. D/R and S/M essentially had the same PCS in the free...would that have happened outside of Canada? And how about D/R's high SP score with a pop? The very fact that you feel the need to justify D/R's victory shows that you do think it is fair to acknowledge that D/R were overscored.

D/R still have made some improvements, such as a nice short by John Kerr, and should be credited as being a medal possibility. But it's unfair to misrepresent the scores from a heavily biased competition.

lavoix

Match Penalty
D/R are nowhere near the league that Sui/Han, Savchenko/Massot or Stolbova/Klimov demonstrate. I don't want to see D/R anywhere near the podium at the Olympics.

I really want Stolbova/Klimov to slay with their routine, I find them (still) a tad conservative.

Nika09

On the Ice
Congratulations medalists! Extra congratulations for WR holders! It was majestic skate from them!
Things are getting very interesting here. Pairs and maybe IceDance are worthy to watch in this messy season. Just please for everyone's sake stay healthy, all of you!

skatemouse

On the Ice
Chris had all that time to work on solo jumps while Alexa was unwell. Cmon Mister...you can do these jumps! So many things to like though. A very polished team

Um I'm guessing he was with her when she was sick they are married and it takes different tolls on the both of them. I took care of my Dad when he was sick . I wasn't but it took its toll on me. They made so much progress before her illness my guess is she is stronger and as they compete more he will get the jumps they will be pretty unstoppable. He's done it before. I'd also prefer they stayed home in the US to train before Nats and not competing again at GPF. I don't think we have even seen the possibilities of what they will do this year. It's exiting! Man they look the part now. Gorgeous! Good choreography marks too.

Definitely love this program.

whatif

Medalist
S/K can easily do 3-3-2. Even today with just Lv1 twist, their base value was just 1 point behind S/H. If they do 3-3-2, it's GOE and PCS game from there and then who knows. But I still think, they lose in SP, the gap is too big to overcome.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I also don't think Silver is a sure bet, though I don't think D/R are the main challengers. Why do you claim "a result that would have still happened even if scoring were outside of Canada?"... I personally think S/M were pretty underscored in Canada, and D/R were overscored.

Look at the trends... S/M got scores that were lower than they had been getting for worse programs...at Nebelhorn they got higher TES and PCS even though all four of their throws and SBS were botched, versus only the SBS jumps at Canada. The technical score they received was the lowest they had gotten in over a year, even though they had a couple of even messier skates in that time.

Meanwhile, D/R got the highest PCS scores they had even gotten outside of Worlds 2016, despite a pop in the short and a messy watered down (albeit clean) version of their 14-15 free skate.

The reason for this? To ensure victory for the Canadians. D/R and S/M essentially had the same PCS in the free...would that have happened outside of Canada? And how about D/R's high SP score with a pop? The very fact that you feel the need to justify D/R's victory shows that you do think it is fair to acknowledge that D/R were overscored.

D/R still have made some improvements, such as a nice short by John Kerr, and should be credited as being a medal possibility. But it's unfair to misrepresent the scores from a heavily biased competition.

S/H´s score was incredible high today. S/M will hardly have a chance. They need a top draw in the TES because there is almost no room in the components for Aljona and Bruno. I do not believe in D/R medal chances.

Honestly I do not think you should receive almost 77 points for a music your coach has used before.

skatemouse

On the Ice
D/R are nowhere near the league that Sui/Han, Savchenko/Massot or Stolbova/Klimov demonstrate. I don't want to see D/R anywhere near the podium at the Olympics.

I really want Stolbova/Klimov to slay with their routine, I find them (still) a tad conservative.

I think S/K unless they improve the little errors and get a level 3 twist at least with no wraps on the throws will be no where near the medal stand at Olympics. Plus they tend to peak early so that leaves a question. Staying healthy for the teams is the main goal.

whatif

Medalist
I also worry that S/H look way too good for beginning of the season. Olympic season is about picking in the right time. But putting out the WR does not hurt of course.

bobbob

Medalist
I think S/K unless they improve the little errors and get a level 3 twist at least with no wraps on the throws will be no where near the medal stand at Olympics. Plus they tend to peak early so that leaves a question. Staying healthy for the teams is the main goal.

I agree that D/R lack the skating skills as a pair of the other teams and do not deserve a medal unless they skate cleanly and other's really mess up. I do think S/K have a chance, even with their current configuration, to medal though. The score they got here is neck and neck with T/M.

whatif

Medalist

First of all their throws are perfect as they are and the judges agree. S/K do not peak early. There is just no statistic to support that as they have no competed properly when they are healthy the whole seasons in past few years. The last time they did a proper whole season they were 2nd at Olympic Games.

skatemouse

On the Ice
I agree that D/R lack the skating skills as a pair of the other teams and do not deserve a medal unless they skate cleanly and other's really mess up. I do think S/K have a chance, even with their current configuration, to medal though. The score they got here is neck and neck with T/M.

Because T/M are not here. Add T/M to this line up and their score goes down unfortunately.

whatif

Medalist
Because T/M are not here. Add T/M to this line up and their score goes down unfortunately.

How do you know it is T/M score that would go down. In Russia, had they skated clean, I am not so sure they would have necessarily lost to T/M. But we do not have long to wait. Just a month.

skatemouse

On the Ice
How do you know it is T/M score that would go down. In Russia, had they skated clean, I am not so sure they would have necessarily lost to T/M. But we do not have long to wait. Just a month.

BY "their" I mean S/k
T/M have twist, throws, and jumps along with big huge elements. It is a matter of how many points T/M will win by.
You are right though! Soon soon

gold12345

Medalist
I also worry that S/H look way too good for beginning of the season. Olympic season is about picking in the right time. But putting out the WR does not hurt of course.

I am a bit concerned about this as well. The better they skate in the fall, the more pressure they will feel to replicate that on Olympic ice. But it's hard to be too concerned over an incredible skate lol.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Honestly I do not think you should receive almost 77 points for a music your coach has used before.

sorry but you lost me there, i dont understand this reasoning at all :scratch2: had no idea music is the way to get high PCS, you learn somehing new everyday:eek:hwell:
honestly though this music debate is being repetetive, last year when they announced their SP music everyone was like "oh no, this music belongs to Dai" but they made it iconic just like Dai did, whats wrong with sharing the same music? Sharing is caring :agree: and they are on ther way to make Turandot theirs:luv17:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I truly believe it will be a fine competition, already at the GP Final, let alone later on. If S/H keep up their present form, or getting stronger and stronger, I can't see anyone beating them even if they all skate their best. That will be, as usually, up to whatever the judges fancy. On the other hand, coming second to Usain Bolt doesn't make anybody else bad sprinters or athletes. You still have to have top qualities, same applies here.

The battle for silver will be amazing to watch, with absolutely all of those mentioned above in with a big time chance. All of them have at least one programme that is mesmerising. Nerves will play the biggest role...and, God forbid, injuries. Guys, we're in for a treat this season!

As far as the Knierims are concerned, I also believe that Chris's mind was elsewhere but practising jumps when Alexa was seriously ill. Bless them. I hope they can up the ante and will have a great result in the end.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
S/H´s score was incredible high today. S/M will hardly have a chance. They need a top draw in the TES because there is almost no room in the components for Aljona and Bruno. I do not believe in D/R medal chances.

Music penalty? :scratch2: What are you smoking?

I can see the cogwheels turning in Hongbo's head when he saw the scores. He was neither ecstatic nor impressed. Bet he was thinking of ways to topple that marks, and I think they can!

Go tweak and tune the final minute, coach Zhao.