2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Short Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Rostelecom Cup Short Dance

MIM

Medalist
Loved piper and paul’s SP. I like the music is not too expected and their interpretation for Latin music and dance is very refreshing.

Also, my dear Italians, they may not be the best dresser( i wish she got a better dress every season but...) or technician, but there is something really grabbing my focus. I like their energy and dance, very proper for this type of dance. Charlene and Marco!

And the eye make up on Bobrova was stunning!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Great thoughts, as always. I also think we have to remember there are inheritant challenges in doing Latin on ice too, which I try to keep in mind. There's a certain amount of steps, twizzles, etc that have to be done in the Partial step, so that already makes it more difficult to do "true latin."

thanks a lot Mrs. P for your kind remark:), believe me - I am fully aware, watching each SD this season, that this is an entirely different dimension from Latin/ballroom dance done on the floor, being a person who dealt with ballroom dancing in the past. The whole dynamic and body control is too different, there are different perspectives between ice and floor to make that Latin-associated movement, vibe fully translated to one another. I focus myself on how particular team works with music chosen, how choreography and whole movement is designed, what 'Latin dance' referrences (if any) are used by the team: body actions, figures, rhythmical accentuation etc. With Latin aesthetic, it's quite easy to fall under stereotypical picture/convention of 'too much of everything meaning anything': while I do get that teams want to do as much as they can to bring out something Latin out there, hey are usually are pushing too many buttons, pulling too much strings at once and the effect is very so-so, veering on the edge of cookie-clutter, chliche or just cheap and bland. Once upon a time, when I was involved in that ballroom thing, I always started with the music and tried to bring out the best of it by movement, having fun at the same time doing it solo or with the partner- I think that a lot of disappointment, failure about making a positive splash with those SD lays in music choices, it's either too far from each other (pieces mixed too roughly, with poor transitioning) or just not cohesive, not flowy rhythm-wise. Then, the movement/elements often do not reflect tempo/rhythm changes, not give out the flow/bounce or ot accentuate musical accents at all. I think that despite technical challenges - both in ballroom dance and ice dance - this 'true Latin' thing should be less generalized and more customized for each team, because there are different ways to bring the vibe out with varying amplitude, the key is to find the right one for the team and realizing that the loudest/brightest one is not always an answer to all needs.

snd

On the Ice
yeah, that 3rd place thing made me lol, too.

but... i don't get all the lukewarm comments about the shibs. i thought they were SIZZLING. their twizzles have been better but everything else was oh so fabulous. what a cracking opening - it's all fireworks to me. i mean... i havent slept for almost a forthnight and even i was bursting with energy after their performance. so idk. am i seeing things? really don't understand the lack of enthusiasm about their sd here.

CAS

On the Ice
yeah, that 3rd place thing made me lol, too.

but... i don't get all the lukewarm comments about the shibs. i thought they were SIZZLING. their twizzles have been better but everything else was oh so fabulous. what a cracking opening - it's all fireworks to me. i mean... i havent slept for almost a forthnight and even i was bursting with energy after their performance. so idk. am i seeing things? really don't understand the lack of enthusiasm about their sd here.

I found it very well trained, cohesive and competent. They looked good. But sizzling, cracking, bursting with energy and fireworks are not how I would describe it but it is a good competitive program.

skatemd1

On the Ice
Too bad about those twizzles. I love watching the Parsons' skate because they have great basics. I'm looking forward to seeing them grow over the next year and quad.

It was a beautiful skate up till then. Those edges! Wow. Hope for better twizzles in FD! They are usually very consistent with them and when the hit them, they are just wow. Love how fast and close they skate. Better luck next time.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was near the end of writing my impressions and poof – my post got deleted due to my stupid internet, it was A LOT of text and I am mad. But want to still post something after re-watching.

I am a bit sad for Rachel and Michael...The spark, sharpness and attack seen at Lombardia were not here so much for me, their movement seemed restrained, tight and 'nervy' at places; it's probably due to GS debut. Lovely edge work, coverage and the expression though, I think that this is a great dance for them to showcase their skills and to help them grow as a more confident, mature performers. I generally think that they have lots of goodies to pull off various stuff in an interesting, effective way. The dance just needs more mileage and confidence in execution to grow as a whole and to give them more space to play with it and sell more.They just need more connection with the music, movement, feel it all out to give more confident, convincing outlook and less of just pure focusing on technicalities and execution, I think they are capable of doing both at the same time.

Whatever to be said about Charlene and Marco, for me they always deliver confident and engaging, believable performance, they just seem always into the stuff they are presenting. Their 'rise' is more of a steady progress in terms of execution/performance than a giant leap and I think that they are more noticed than before due to this committed way of performing, solid quality of it than the stuff itself. For me, their SD is on more 'Latin wannabes' side, but done quite enjoyably and without 'too much' factor – there is nice vibe of festivity there, choreography has some flow and continuity; I actually see – and respect – that they attempted to play with rhythm a bit in their movement than just throw literal Latin referrences and booty/hips shake all the way, I like the way of Marco's leading in the dance, the expression that looked like they actually had fun. One of their biggest assests in their connection and performers ability which they use in that SD – it's not a huge stunner, but a piece of solid, enjoyable work which I appreciate.

Top 4 SDs I could compare between each other in various configurations, using different factors and perspectives, but the common thing in them I appreciate is that all 4 SDs seem to be designed in a custom, individual way to highlight teams' strenghts, style and expression. It makes for me a lot easier to enjoy them in a state where lots of teams are trying desperately to make themselves as 'Latin' as possible for all costs, not even thinking/realizing how they want to achieve it and what is this 'Latin' outlook they desire for. Whereas Russians SDs were more of 'Latin instant fix', hitting musical accents and creatng a effect, Shibutanis and Canadians were more about 'Latin thoughtfulness', maybe not having an instant impact/effect out there, but creating a curiosity about the concept and being more of a 'long distance hitters'. Both conceptions successful and having their audiences.

Ekaterina and Dmitri looked like they had lots of fun out there – and I enjoyed their SD as well. This SD is more about hitting the musical accents than the steady flow, but I think it matches their expression and way of movement, achieving at the same time kind of 'low-key', understated feel about the music. The non-touching step sequence is really a highlight for me in that dance – showcasing their technique, coverage, connection and feel of those musical accents, it works really well when executed sharply and with polish like today. To the contrast, I think that the partial step sequence is the weakest link of that dance – whereas the music part for that element is all about steady bounce/flow of the move, with hint of sensualty, accenting on partnering, connection, they hit it with too much force in my opinion, wanting to highlight musical accents too hard with arms/heads/upper body movement; I wish there would be something more 'varied' and sharp in terms of rhythmical accentuation to match this kind of movement, but we'll see how it will be performed next time. Nice re-work on ending lift and pose, it matches better the music and the character of the dance I feel. It is definitely a right, strong vehicle for them, really highlighting their performers qualities and allowing them to have some fun. On a shalow note (as usual from me), they both looked smoking hot – love that drama make-upon Ekaterina, sleek look of Dmitri, even those earrings gave some 'oomph' the the whole look, I wish though that er dress would be full-on fringe and in red/burgundy.

Stepanova/Bukin's SD was also enjoyable to watch for me. Again, it was more of a hitting the music and 'strike-a-pose' dance than a flow and concept thing, but it played on their strenghts and created a decent wholesome. While I am not sold on their rhumba part – and the pattern – they sure know how to move with a quicker beat and move the audience along with them. It's nice to see them grow as performers, selling their stuff more convincingly and having more chemistry/connection between them that seem natural. The choreography design definitely capitalizes on Alexandra's flexibility, which for me is a good thing to do, as it is quite moderated; for me, it's always good to use teams' strenghts to make stuff more 'personalized'. The weakest part is definitely pattern and partial step sequence following it – all parts demanding close or close-like holds are really not flattering for them, I see that they got lvl3 here for the pattern, but despite hitting keypoints it still looked stiff, mechanical and mismatched with no flow, coverage and synchronity between their silhouettes. Aside of polishing up technicalities in terms of sole levels-oriented execution,they should pay more attention on the outlook of eements and how they are incorporated within the dance. I could also live without Alexandra's 'fish-in-the-sea' expression often utilized, but I guess it's more of their way of expression. I am happy that the dance as a whole looks youthful, playful, fun like it should be for them, her dress is one of the best: a cut highlighting her killer legs, the fringe, white colour in contrast to Ivan's black sleek look, details on bodice looking spohisticated, open back. The judges seem to like the vehicle,they should keep on good work and development.

While I enjoyed Stepanova/Bukin's dance, I was more sold and convinced on Gilles/Poirier in direct comparison due to cohesiveness and thoughtfulness of the concept and how perfectly and smartly it was executed in action, reflecting at the same time on Latin tradition and their own aesthetic. The whole dance seemed just more rich and multi-dimesional: from the music chosen, the fact that both pieces match so well and that both of them are transitioning effortlessly within one convention, the way movement/choreo design match the music, the vibe of it,how all elements are put together in such sych with each other – it's just truly remarkable to see as a blended unity. It takes for me lots of courage, idea – and skill too – to take on such specific convention and moreover – to play with it using different tools to achieve desired effect. This 'Latin vintage' style/convention used goes so well with their quirky, 'out-there' aesthetic and style, but at the same time it is a challenge to create another set of characters,personalities with exact way of movement and expression, still maintaining their team signature. What is admirable – the rhythms used, especially Brazilian samba, are perfectly accentuated by bouncing body action consisting mainly from knees bending and soft hips swaying, all completed with controlled upper body movement and nice arm/hand finishing. As usual with their choreographies, all technical elements are put perfectly with the music, my favourites are: twizzles (with great choreographical exit) and non-touching step sequence with nice body action flow and control. I think that this costume change feature gives nice transition between rhythms and moreover – is a form of 'tongue-in-cheek'/wink made to the audience to treat is as a fun experience, not a strict play to the convention rules. Paul is really divine in the way he leads, partners, presents the dance, Piper is sassy and quirky in expression, her dress is so stunning – this kaleidoscope effect of aquamarine collage and some rhinestones with more of vintage, conservative cut goes with the vibe of the dance perfectly. I will support that idea and how it is brough to life for the whole season despite of its lack of 'instant effect' comparing to other dances, because it's unique and plays on Latin referrence so tastefully, it's just worth the effort to understand and get into.

Finally Maia and Alex – hands down it was the SD of the event and already made my top 5 list this season; it's just so effective, vibrant and 'ready' in its sharp, sleek simplicity. It's another example of a smart packaging from them – to take on rhumba/Latin rhythms with traditional music, but with modern flavour, highlighting their skills and connection/confidence in performance. The whole program just flows – it's a stunning example of using body action/movement to keep that continuity of rhythm, despit changes between rhumba, cha-cha and mambo. Expression – on point, great chemistry between them, creating an atmosphere of a fun, playfulness, joy of the music and the dance, they seemed so into it, Alex was really in his element for me: leading masterfuly and this beginning sequence of steps – just pure class without being obnoxious or flashy. I love the 'framing' of that SD – clean, crisp holds, straght backs, nice hand connections, Latin is not only about booty/hips shaking and dramatic face grabbing, I just admire that they use their strenghts to make Latin theme work, not throwng themselves into things they are not comfortable with for the sake of just 'ticking of the supposedly required point of Latin dance'. Yes, they sure could use more closeness and sway in movement, but these are not defining points for the in my opinion – it is more about seeing their interpretation of the rhythm, how they play with music (perfectly mixed), how they can express the feel of it through their movement without losing identity in the process. I love how the package is customized to them, but feels quite universal and accessible already at the same time – this is more of a play on 'authentic' side of Latin musically-wise, complemented with just enough Latin movement referrence in choreography. Speaking of choreography – those twizzles are on the next level of insanity, with this literal count on their first set:drama:, partial step sequence – my favourite out there, so much of great detail, flow, edge quality, skated with confidence. In general, all elements are kind of designed to match the music, reference Latin moveement AND to stand out on its own. Honestly, watching them performing it, I did not even pay attention to Alex's nude shirt or Maya's sparkle galore on the bodice part – it was about he vibrance of emotion, the joy given to the people, the way they radiated of it, how the dance flew by. Some already are spreading 'kiddies dance' opinions on YT – well, what's wrong with resembling kids-like authentic joy, abandon and freedom in performance? For me, Latin culture of the dance, aesthetic is all about enjoyment, vibrance, colourfulness, playful nature and Shibutanis' SD showed that in magnificent form and execution.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I loved the Shibs. Their SD definitely isn't there yet - I thought they slowed down a lot in the middle - but this is one of their best SDs in my opinion. FWIW Charlie was commenting on the Olympic Channel and he looooved it.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Apart from the Shibutanis and the Russians, I really didn't feel anyone else.

I'll give some credit to Popova/Mozgov, I quite like them and their SD this season. Very promising pair.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I hate to say that but Gilles / Poirier SD does not work with me. The music choice, their costumes and personalities are original but the choreography itself is rather generic (I agree on that with some other person who described it with this term before). I also thought they skated with some restrain today and it looked heavy. I am underwhelmed even if technically it was ok (no fireworks either other than transtions between tweezles that caught my attention). I want them to finish on the podium overall, it's a plan minimum but with S/B skating in Russia ... it might be difficult, esp. if they don't lose levels to get enough advantage through FD. I thought their 3rd place was questionable here if we talk about S/B.

When it comes to Shibutanis ... I was positively impressed. I like that carefree, bright feeling that they were able to express in this dance and I thought that they were crisp & precise today. The choreography itself is vibrant and packed with content from the get go.

Bobrova / Solovyov - a little bit different take on Latin theme, dare I say freakish one? I liked what I saw from them here. Well done on L4s all around.