2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs FS | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs FS

nimi

Medalist
S/M:

Posters here crave for creativity, we are so tired of same old same old. And then, when someone comes up with something new and exciting, it is not good either... :scratch: I loveeed the concept and the movements. I'm sure they will polish it and it will be great.
Yeah, sometimes it's like the threads are full of Goldilocks. "This program is too bland and predictable for me to buy it. And this program here is too clever/weird/arty/quirky for me to buy it. Where are the programs that are just the right amount of bland?!?!"

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Meagan and Eric!!! :clap:

Just when everyone says they're done, they bust out a freeskate like that, and beat who a lot of people are thinking will be the next OGM winners. And suddenly D/R in the Olympic picture again. It was very much a "serious day at the office" program for me, compared to their more emotional programs but it's what they needed to get the win and put themselves back in the hunt.

Even with errors S/M have a lovely FS which really sets them apart... he does need to get into the program more and show better expression. The French were spectacular and probably deserved silver, SP and LP considered.

Also worth noting that in spite of two major errors on the SBS jumps and D/R going clean, Savchenko/Massot had the highest PCS. D/R were also 1.5 less PCS than their personal best, and 5 points off their FS PB, even going clean.

You know, with such a clean skate from D/R (and with 2 major errors from the Germans) I would have expected D/R to have received the highest PCS of the FS, maybe even get a personal best PCS, and definitely score over 150...... Too bad this competition wasn't held in Canada, where they would have benefited from all that home inflation.... oh wait. :rolleye: :biggrin:

Art&Sport

Medalist
This is going to be difficult, but I really hope for an olympic medal for Vanessa and James. (bronze medal, to be realistic)

I do too, but seemingly obstacles will be placed in J/C's path that aren't being placed in T/M's path, for example. T/M should really be scored down on their poor fp costumes, and terrible fp music, and also for their lack of connection on the ice. But T/M continue to be over-rewarded because of their technical precision and Russian aesthetic appeal.

I think James/Cipres deserve much more credit than they are receiving. That they aren't is par for the course in figure skating. J/C's program music, concept, choreo, connection and relatively clean execution was the best of all the teams here. The only thing detractors can continue to nitpick on until the cows come home apparently is how they don't perceive J/C as 'finished' or 'polished'. But that's a lot of codespeak in there. For some people J/C will never be 'polished.' I'm sure that Vanessa has dealt with such perceptions and attitudes her entire career. They have improved a great deal to where they are skating more as one, and their passionate connection has always been evident. They have a raw, athletic style and a steamy connection that is quite wonderful. If they had more time, they could hone and perfect what they have to an even more magical level with JZ's team in Florida. But figure skating is a very difficult sport that requires such physical and mental strength and years of slow progress and ups and downs. When you add in the political obstacles, it's even more daunting. I can't even imagine the struggles that Vanessa and Morgan have already faced to get to where they are now. I hope they can simply continue to enjoy the process and continue to build momentum full speed ahead. They weren't completely perfect with their timing and rhythm at SC, but that will build as the season progresses. They were certainly cleaner and more confident than everyone else at SC. And they were also very good during the pre-season in winning Autumn Classic.

Every pair team need to continue making improvements over the course of each season. J/C have made a remarkable statement with back-to-back years of spectacular programs with excellent music, concept and choreography.

John Zimmerman has put together a fabulous team in Florida. The work they have done with J/C is superb evidence of that which should not be underestimated or looked down upon. Why do fans think Meagan wanted to work with Zimmerman and crew? D/R even ditched one of their long time coaches in order to make that happen. They could have simply asked John Kerr to choreograph for them, but they were seeking more than that. And they couldn't ditch Meagan's husband or sister-in-law, so they compromised on a unique collaboration allowing them to train with Zimmerman and receive choreo help from both Julie Marcotte and Kerr. And that's very unusual since Julie's modus operandi in the past has always been to work alone. The point is that D/R wanted in on the fresh ideas, style and packaging that everyone has taken notice of with J/C's rise last season. Of course J/C came to Zimmerman with talent and some success already, but John Z and team were able to help them put together the missing ingredients that have vaulted them into top contention. And if you are looking closely, you can see a number of teams pulling inspiration from J/C's style and even copying some of their moves (which happens all time in figure skating, so it's a compliment).

The fact of the matter though, which can be seen at the SC competition, is that the judges are unwilling to outright reward J/C with the top prize. In the sp, J/C deserved to be slightly ahead of Meagan and Eric, but weren't. In the fp, J/C deserved to be ahead of S/M and they were, however J/C were kept in 3rd for the overall standings. I think that's unfair. A case can be made that J/C could have won the sp, or at least been in a close second due to how well they skated, and the fact that S/M did not skate their best in either program. D/R were spectacular in the fp, but were off in the sp. IMHO, J/C should definitely have at least won the silver medal at SC. The issue is that S/M are a favored team and they were over-scored in the sp. S/M lost points in the fp, but should have lost more than the judges took off. S/M ended up just edging J/C in the overall standings because that's what the judges wanted. What we see at SC is that the judges are willing to place J/C very close to the top in major competitions, but the judges seemingly intend to try and keep J/C down behind certain teams.

In order for J/C to prevail, they will have to continue proving themselves until they can't be denied. Whereas other teams can tend to receive gifts in the scoring, J/C have to work harder to build, maintain, sustain and especially to surpass their rep and status. To a certain degree, that's nothing new in figure skating. Favorites are cushioned unless and until they perform so poorly in both programs, they can't be held up. Less favored and less respected teams are taken down heavily for any obvious mistakes, and their scores are held down a bit when they skate very well, and when they skate first in a group. Even when J/C skated last at Europeans in both sp and fp and prevailed spectacularly, the judges were reluctant to give them too much.

J/C skated first in the fp final group at SC and their scores were micromanaged to leave enough room for S/M and D/R. We can see in the sp how the judges tried to elevate D/R for a poor skate, but upon review D/R's sp scores were brought down, but they were still kept slightly ahead of J/C in the sp.

I like both of J/C's costumes for sp and fp. However, I think maybe Morgan should have his undervest in the sp in the shade of blue of Vanessa's dress rather than using that flimsy blue strap across his outer vest. I don't see anything wrong with J/C's fp outfits. I think they wanted to get away from the all-black. I think their fp outfits work very well for them. It's a fine line with designing outfits. They might do something in a different color that pops against Vanessa's skin, like a deep burgundy perhaps in a sexy catsuit against Morgan in steel gray or a complimentary color.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She seemed really sweet and comforting. It doesn't help them to fight, he knows he messed up without her getting furious. I think she's past that. Some KnC situations with Robin were really hard to watch, when he messed up something. I feel a slightly different dynamic between her and Bruno.

Now, if Ksenia Stolbova was skating with Bruno... :devil:

:laugh: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Though in complete off-topic honesty, sometimes I wonder how she hasn't killed Fedor yet.

Off topic because they didn't compete here at all, but some of us *cough*mostly me*coughcoughgag* still somehow made it the running gag of the pairs thread. ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Congratulations to Meagan and Eric!!! :clap:

Just when everyone says they're done, they bust out a freeskate like that, and beat who a lot of people are thinking will be the next OGM winners. And suddenly D/R in the Olympic picture again.

Yesterday's free program reminded me so much of their 2016 worlds free program!

Art&Sport

Medalist
Originally Posted by MaiKatze
She seemed really sweet and comforting. It doesn't help them to fight, he knows he messed up without her getting furious. I think she's past that. Some KnC situations with Robin were really hard to watch, when he messed up something. I feel a slightly different dynamic between her and Bruno.

^^ Ha ha, I suppose that Aliona is just grateful to Bruno that she's still skating. I heard that Bruno has not yet acquired German citizenship. Perhaps it will come down in spectacular fashion in time for him to make the Olympics. I can't see the Germans missing the chance to shine at the Olympic winter games with a prominent pair team.

It's difficult as a fan when you happen to enjoy so many teams. However, I really wish the scoring would be less political and more fair. I know that's like asking for the moon. I am fast becoming so enamored of J/C that I have to hold my breath and relax while watching their performances, when I am not aware of the outcome. But they are really very enjoyable to watch. And their fp music carries a profound mesage on a number of levels that apparently fans are missing.

I find it laughable when fans on forums look at the protocols and try to justify scores for their favorites, or to break down why the results are fair or not fair. For me, I trust my own eyes and knowledge of the sport. I find it interesting to look at the individual judges' scores and the judges' nationalities, especially re PCS scoring. You really can't look to the scores that much to determine what really happened during the competition, except to see what the elements were and where skaters were downgraded or dinged for URs. And sometimes the downgrades and URs on the scoring sheet can't be trusted as having actually happened because judges are fallible and skating politics is skating politics. As a matter of fact, the current scoring system allows for even greater ease of manipulation with the levels, GOE, and deductions than was ever possible under the 6.0 system. :laugh:

bixby

Final Flight
There's something about Natalia & Alexander from Russia; they are easy on the eyes to watch and kind of draws you in. There's nothing hard or labored in their skating and sort of just flows naturally. They exude ELEGANCE!

I'm reminded of Ekaterina & Sergie. Natalia is very delicate on her movement in the same way Ekaterina was. Alissa Czisny comes to mind as well how light she is on her skate. And they're both very good looking too which doesn't hurt. I like this pair. BRIGHT FUTURE!

Nika09

On the Ice
I didn't have anything against J/C costumes either. Just like Alina with her tutu's. They both look beautiful with their own style.
Vanessa has different unique style that makes her stand out in this field. And it suits her so well.On the other hand she wears classic dress in SP, so balance is there.

Upon reflection, I am not sure if that's so certain. It will depend on how other contenders for the last spot do in their fields, which are S/K and Y/Z. S/K already placed 2nd and will need another 2nd spot to secure theirs, Y/Z has not skated yet but I would assume they should be 2nd in CoC.

S/K will be in the GPF anyway, if they won't completely mess up in NHK. The only one they could lose there are S/H, so place on the podium seems guaranteed.
But I'm not sure about Y/Z. Will see how they will perform in first GP's. I guess it's going to be battle between them and J/C for sixth spot in the finale.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The range on D/R's twist goes from -2 to +3, every individual mark inbetween included. What on earth??? Is this the most varied GOE spread ever for an element?? How can two judges possibly see the same element as either -2 or +3, it makes no sense whatsoever.

Samarin's 4T.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpcan2017/gpcan2017_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Stolbova/Klimov have also tend to get a range of scoring inconsistency on their twist.... given it's a weak element for them... usually you'll see a variety of GOE depending on if the judge actually feels like deducting them.

Definitely the +3 for D/R's twist is whack but the -2 is pretty harsh too. I'd probably have given it a 0, with the shaky landing negating the positive aspects of the twist.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Samarin's 4T.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpcan2017/gpcan2017_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

Stolbova/Klimov have also tend to get a range of scoring inconsistency on their twist.... given it's a weak element for them... usually you'll see a variety of GOE depending on if the judge actually feels like deducting them.

Definitely the +3 for D/R's twist is whack but the -2 is pretty harsh too. I'd probably have given it a 0, with the shaky landing negating the positive aspects of the twist.

I agree with the 0 for the twist. Judges should be really careful with the GOE. It seems that the GOE are becoming more important since the PCS are really close between the top pairs.

It is the same with the Russian DS. Almost every Russian pair struggles with this element.

JustMe

On the Ice
Some thoughts:
-I was very impressed by D/R's free skate here, and believe their placement/scores were completely merited (pre competition, I actually thought they were gonna struggle just to be on the podium, lol).
-To me, Savchenko appeared to have skated the free program with a freedom I haven't seen, or noticed.
-James/Cipres are quickly becoming one of my favorite pairs, and I would have have placed them second overall (don't know how though, lol).
-Zabiiako/Enbert are looking solid, and they definitely don't need that costume gimmick (they need personality).
-Although I didn't watched the free of Denny/Frazier, but from what I saw of it in the practice video, I actually really liked that Queen program (specially the second half...and I've never liked anything of theirs, nor any Queen programs, for that matter, lol).