2017 US Nats in MO: KansasCity+Independence | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 US Nats in MO: KansasCity+Independence

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ohio is a pretty good sized state with very diverse regions, so this is not an easy question. Where in Ohio are you wondering about?

I think Tonia is from Cleveland but, I lived in Dayton and there were definitely rinks there. However, I only lived there for a short time and never skated there. I danced in an Arena that had a gym floor on top of ice. It's one of the worst places I ever danced. Buffalo however, takes the cake for worst everything except for good looking people :love:. I don't know how they survive.....It was actually colder outside the rink than inside.

Isn't Kings Island in Cincinnati? There's a ton of fun things to do in that town.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI
As a non American- I get thrown off that Kansas City is not in Kansas, and that MO stands for Missouri instead of a state like Montana (which starts with an MO)

Just to confuse you even more - there is also Kansas City, Kansas which is just west of Kansas City, Missouri just over the state line between Missouri and Kansas :scratch3: In the case of U. S. Nationals - the competition is being held in Kansas City, Missouri at the Sprint Center.

I really agree about the confusion with the state abbreviations - to me Pennsylvania should be PE not PA. I would think they probably considered MI for Missouri, but Michigan was given MI instead...and the confusion just goes on and on.

Lest anyone wonder:

The only reason that I did not spell out Missouri in full in the thread title is that GS software does not permit thread titles to exceed a certain limit.

I wanted to include both Kansas City and Independence in the thread title -- b/c it seemed newsworthy to me that only part of the comp is being held in Kansas City.

I did not have enough room to spell out Missouri in full, so I went with its standard (not necessarily intuitive) abbreviation.

Maine ME 23
Maryland MD 24
Massachusetts MA 25
Michigan MI 26
Minnesota MN 27
Mississippi MS 28
Missouri MO 29
Montana MT 30
http://www.bls.gov/cew/cewedr10.htm

Last edited:

GF2445

Record Breaker
D
Lest anyone wonder:

The only reason that I did not spell out Missouri in full in the thread title is that GS software does not permit thread titles to exceed a certain limit.

I wanted to include both Kansas City and Independence in the thread title -- b/c it seemed newsworthy to me that part of the comp is being held in Kansas City.

I did not have enough room to spell out Missouri in full, so I went with its standard (not necessarily intuitive) abbreviation.

Maine ME 23
Maryland MD 24
Massachusetts MA 25
Michigan MI 26
Minnesota MN 27
Mississippi MS 28
Missouri MO 29
Montana MT 30
http://www.bls.gov/cew/cewedr10.htm

Thankyou. This is very helpful for my education.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ticket information for Kansas City is now available on their website: http://www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com/tickets/

Representatives from Kansas City will be in Saint Paul starting on Thursday January 21.

Just a little more info I've come across. The LOC is not handling the early all event ticket sales so there will be ticketing fees - probably $50 to $75 for an all event ticket. Also, there will not be an opportunity to pick a section or seat - you will get the "best available".

Last edited:

concorde

Medalist
St. Paul Nationals is announcing decision on their shuttle today. However, they have already stated the shuttle will not travel to Bloomington Ice Garden the secondary venue.

I spoke with one parent whose daughter is competing this year (also went last year). She is not happy with the set-up.

In past years, if you stayed at the "recommended" hotel, then transportation to/from the venues were provided for both the skaters and coaches. And this was for both the practice ice and competition.

This year, if you stay at the "recommended" hotel, then transportation to/from the venues was only provided for the skaters. Since that means the parent has to always transport the coach, then this family saw no benefit of staying at the pricey "recommended" hotel.

Not the end of the world but just another hurdle to jump over.

edenlover

On the Ice
I think Tonia is from Cleveland but, I lived in Dayton and there were definitely rinks there. However, I only lived there for a short time and never skated there. I danced in an Arena that had a gym floor on top of ice. It's one of the worst places I ever danced. Buffalo however, takes the cake for worst everything except for good looking people :love:. I don't know how they survive.....It was actually colder outside the rink than inside.

Isn't Kings Island in Cincinnati? There's a ton of fun things to do in that town.

Yes King's Island is in Cincinnati. My daughter lives there now. There are still a ton of things to do there. She attended and graduated from the University of Dayton. And yes, Tonia is from Cleveland. SHe was coached by Carol Heiss Jenkins. She graduated from Baldwin Wallace College, which is south of Cleveland--one of my daughters attended there before moving to Wisconsin. US Nationals was there in 2000 and 2009 I believe. I actually worked as a volunteer at the 2009 event and had a blast. THe competition was at the Q downtown, but some practices were held in Strongsville which is a 20 to 30 minute drive from downtown. It was a great town to visit and a wonderful one for a competition.

BTW Mrrice. I attended the Worlds in 1987 when they were held in Cincinnati. The venue at the time was on the riverfront next to the ballpark, and the practices were in the same place as the competition as I recall. It was fun just being a spectator. I think Cincy would be a great place for a US championships as would Columbus and Cleveland. Would love to see that happen as I'm just an hour from Columbus and 90 minutes from Cincy.

Columbus has a huge arena because it has a pro hockey team. THere is an ice facility at Ohio State and another facility called the CHILLER.

Last edited:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Cleveland is bidding on 2018 U.S. Nationals. I am an acquaintance of someone involved in the process. Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland would be the main arena. I am guessing that the lower level competitions would be held in Strongsville at the OBM Arena (used to be Serpentini and before that Hoover) which is about 20 miles from Quicken Loans. I have no idea what other cities might be bidding on 2018.

Yes King's Island is in Cincinnati. My daughter lives there now. There are still a ton of things to do there. She attended and graduated from the University of Dayton. And yes, Tonia is from Cleveland. SHe was coached by Carol Heiss Jenkins. US Nationals were help there in 2000 and 2009 I believe. I actually worked as a volunteer at the 2009 event and had a blast. THe competition was at the Q downtown, but some practices were held in Strongsville which is a 20 to 30 minute drive from downtown. It was a great town to visit and a wonderful one for a competition.

BTw Mrrice. I attended the Worlds in 1987 when they were held in Cincinnati. THe venue at the time was on the riverfront next to the ballpark, and the practices were in the same place as the competition as I recall. It was fun just being a spectator. I think Cincy would be a great place for a US championships as would Columbus and Cleveland. Would love to see that happen as I'm just an hour from Columbus and 90 minutes from Cincy.

edenlover

On the Ice
MAny of us are hoping for a Cleveland bid. It would be a wonderful week of fun, especially during the Olympic Year. Would bring back memories of St. Louis 2006 which was my first Nationals attendance, where Matt performed magically, Sasha won handily, the first pairs triple axel was successfully thrown by John Baldwin and his lovely partner, and he proposed to her on the ice, and so sadly, Michelle was missing due to injury. I hope it comes back soon! I'm not geting any younger....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes King's Island is in Cincinnati. My daughter lives there now. There are still a ton of things to do there. She attended and graduated from the University of Dayton. And yes, Tonia is from Cleveland. SHe was coached by Carol Heiss Jenkins. She graduated from Baldwin Wallace College, which is south of Cleveland--one of my daughters attended there before moving to Wisconsin. US Nationals was there in 2000 and 2009 I believe. I actually worked as a volunteer at the 2009 event and had a blast. THe competition was at the Q downtown, but some practices were held in Strongsville which is a 20 to 30 minute drive from downtown. It was a great town to visit and a wonderful one for a competition.

BTW Mrrice. I attended the Worlds in 1987 when they were held in Cincinnati. The venue at the time was on the riverfront next to the ballpark, and the practices were in the same place as the competition as I recall. It was fun just being a spectator. I think Cincy would be a great place for a US championships as would Columbus and Cleveland. Would love to see that happen as I'm just an hour from Columbus and 90 minutes from Cincy.

Columbus has a huge arena because it has a pro hockey team. THere is an ice facility at Ohio State and another facility called the CHILLER.

We definitely performed Finals at The University Of Dayton Arena. However, it was during the Prelims and Semifinals that we performed in smaller venues. I'm pretty sure we performed prelims at Miamisburg High School, which is in a suburb close to Dayton. Our Drum Line performed at Springboro H.S. I just looked up our other Venue. It was called the Nutter Center.

edenlover

On the Ice
We definitely performed Finals at The University Of Dayton Arena. However, it was during the Prelims and Semifinals that we performed in smaller venues. I'm pretty sure we performed prelims at Miamisburg High School, which is in a suburb close to Dayton. Our Drum Line performed at Springboro H.S. I just looked up our other Venue. It was called the Nutter Center.

Actually the Nutter Center is near Wright State University and the Air Force Base. UD's arena is the Flyer Arena as I recall--graduation was there...My daughter graduated in 2010.I actually am an hour from Dayton--just a native Ohio girl--actually senior citizen who still feels like a girl. Love reading your posts, mrrice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ticket information for Kansas City is now available on their website: http://www.2017usfigureskatingchampionships.com/tickets/

Representatives from Kansas City will be in Saint Paul starting on Thursday January 21.

Just a little more info I've come across. The LOC is not handling the early all event ticket sales so there will be ticketing fees - probably $50 to $75 for an all event ticket. Also, there will not be an opportunity to pick a section or seat - you will get the "best available".

Per LOC e-mail (emphases added):

TICKET PRE-SALE - Monday 12 hours only!

Exclusive all-event ticket package pre-sale for the 2017 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Kansas City on January 18, 2016 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. CST for figure skating fans. Enter code VISITKC17 when you purchase. ...

An All-Event Ticket Package provides you an assigned seat to all junior and senior (Championship) level competitions and practice sessions at the Sprint Center. In addition the all-event ticket will include general admission seating for all juvenile, intermediate and novice practice sessions and competitions at the Silverstein Eye Centers Arena in Independence, Mo.

Ticket sales to the general public begin at 10 a.m. CST on Tuesday, January 19, 2016. Tickets will also be for sale on-site in Minneapolis/St. Paul during the 2016 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships.