2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Not the 2017 - 2018 World Gold Medalists. How is that laughable! Go figure..πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

What's laughable is coming after a skater who has been unbeaten for 2 years straight, set 13 world record scores and had to skip WC this year due to an injury only because according to you (and others) she shouldn't get any attention after literally being the face of ladies' FS for 2 seasons and after she has helped Russia go to those OG that Alina won and got them to participate in the team competition.

None of this diminishes Alina's incredible accomplishments this season, and Alina is getting the attention she deserves as she should, but Zhenya has been around longer and has been around winning for two entire seasons. Skipping one WC is not going to change the fact that she has carried Russian ladies FS for two years and that the public has known and loved her for a longer time and is therefore more attached to her. None of this negates Alina's tremendous success and rising popularity.

Caustica

Final Flight
I'm flying in on my b-day :laugh: Let's party together :hap10: (I'm guessing and hoping it is in Moscow, but I'd go anywhere else too).
Tickets are usually on sale short before, like mid to end September.

Last year they went on sale in July.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Not the 2017 - 2018 World Gold Medalists.....fact...Not the 2018 Olympic Gold Medalists....fact. How is that laughable! Go figure..πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Ok, just trying to follow your logic: were Osmond or Daleman laughable in season 2015-2016? Or in season 2016-2017? Or any other season before? Is Daleman still laughable?
Or i get something wrong?

ejnsofi

Final Flight
None of this diminishes Alina's incredible accomplishments this season, and Alina is getting the attention she deserves as she should, but Zhenya has been around longer and has been around winning for two entire seasons. Skipping one WC is not going to change the fact that she has carried Russian ladies FS for two years and that the public has known and loved her for a longer time and is therefore more attached to her. None of this negates Alina's tremendous success and rising popularity.

Not to mention Evgenia's success has been inspirational for many young girls who now thrive to repeat her success :sarcasm: Zhenya broke "one-season Russian lady" curse and actually I believe if not for injury she would have won OG. Alina gets a lot of endorsements, TV interviews and overall attention but the fact is Evgenia has more media oriented character - she is really open, influential, isn't afraid to speak about various topics or participate in TV shows. Alina is young and she is the fresh face so it's logical for me she needs time to gain popularity.

millie

Medalist
Ok, just trying to follow your logic: were Osmond or Daleman laughable in season 2015-2016? Or in season 2016-2017? Or any other season before? Is Daleman still laughable?
Or i get something wrong?

Please do not go looking for problems in my posts. Please read the previous post before making assumptions and picking at what I am saying. For your information I was responding to a post by yoloaxel. I was accused of saying that Zhenya was not a world champion and I was trying to clarify that she was not the 2018 OGM and not the WGM 2017-2018. yoloaxel responded with a laughable remark and I asked why was this laughable....do that explain my post....πŸ™‚

russianfan

Match Penalty
Please do not go looking for problems in my posts. Please read the previous post before making assumptions and picking at what I am saying. For your information I was responding to a post by yoloaxel. I was accused of saying that Zhenya was not a world champion and I was trying to clarify that she was not the 2018 OGM and not the WGM 2017-2018. yoloaxel responded with a laughable remark and I asked why was this laughable....do that explain my post....πŸ™‚

It wasn't clear then because of the exclamation mark instead of question mark. I guess mods should delete all these posts then :eek:topic:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
When people in the comp threads tell you to stick to the Russian Ladies thread but they've infiltrated that with the trolling too... :cry:

Suzzzy

Rinkside
Oh come on, first dozens of articles with "authorities" whining how "Zhenya should have won", "Zhenya deserved to win", "age limit should be increased", tv Olympic summaries with "EM took silver, bla, bla, bla, while our another Russian representative AZ won":)palmf:), etc., then the hype went full force: Zhenya at Urgant, Zhenya for Pantene, Zhenya with mom interview, Yagudin interviewing Zhenya, Zhenya in radio 1, Zhenya in radio 2, Zhenya speech at president, Zhenya for Nike, Zhenya for Vogue, Zhenya receives medal from fans, Zhenya in "Lednikovyi Period"... I bet Zhenya is in your refrigerator, if you looked closely. :roll9:
I mentioned only those which I remember, there were plenty more - it was blatant pushing second best skater down fans' throats. Thankfully, people have their own brains yet, at least in Russia - they are able to recognize and choose what they like. :)

What should Med do instead? Cry in the pillow in her bed? Or what?
If she is popular now, she shall definitely is that!

tars

Record Breaker
What should Med do instead? Cry in the pillow in her bed? Or what?
If she is popular now, she shall definitely is that!
I was replying to the argument that "nobody is forcing Zhenya on people".
In my opinion she has been promoted to public ad nauseam, artificially and somewhat against people's will.
She is not 'natural' star, people don't flock to her like they did to Lipnitskaya for instance, just as Eteri said - she's very dedicated, hard-working, average talent, whom achieved great success. Kudos to her, but calling her "legend" by all those fs authorities, acting like she's second coming of Yuna Kim or beloved daughter of Russia is exaggeration imo.

Scott512

Record Breaker
What's laughable is coming after a skater who has been unbeaten for 2 years straight, set 13 world record scores and had to skip WC this year due to an injury only because according to you (and others) she shouldn't get any attention after literally being the face of ladies' FS for 2 seasons and after she has helped Russia go to those OG that Alina won and got them to participate in the team competition.

Fair points all the way around.

Scott512

Record Breaker
In my opinion she has been promoted to public ad nauseam, artificially and somewhat against people's will.
She is not 'natural' star, people don't flock to her like they did to Lipnitskaya for instance, just as Eteri said - she's very dedicated, hard-working, average talent, whom achieved great success. Kudos to her, but calling her "legend" by all those fs authorities, acting like she's second coming of Yuna Kim or beloved daughter of Russia is exaggeration imo.
I was surprised by your comments. Wow. Kind of harsh. I think she's a better skater than you give her credit for and I think Zhenya has more star power than you give her credit for. Look at the layout in Russian Vogue. Very nice. But this is why we're here to post our opinions on things and I always appreciate your comments even if I do not agree with them at times.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
She moved to Mishin to improve her jumps I guess.
Is the lady sitting next to Aliev at the Olympics and Euros (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF1RXmb5Nk4) the artistic coach of the team? I feel Alisa looks so much like her, makeup and demure wise.

I guess I'm not really surprised. She is absolutely stunning and based on her Instagram I think she's shown an interest in modeling. She probably also just wants a chance to feel like a normal teenager. She did move to Mishin though, so hopefully that will mean good things for her.

Suzzzy

Rinkside

I catch it. But she is the only of Russian girls that is in on the top for more than one season.
Why don’t people think she doesn’t deserve this promotion?

madison

Record Breaker

Look, I didn't even like Evgenia before, nor her skating.... yes, maybe she's not a natural star in the sense you see once and cannot forget her, but she is the kind of star who earns public respect in time, and this is something more valuable than one time show.
I think her public will be very loyal to her over the time, no matter what.
And her skating became more mature this season, more emotional (maybe because of her personal growth
and acknowledgement).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am curious which team is stronger - Japan or Russia. Japan seems more stable. But potentially you have EVgenia and Alina back in fighting form. With the rise of Wakababy I wonder if Kaetlyn's days are numbered on the podium Kaetlyn has to beat the third Russian and three Japanese ladies to get a medal if Alina and Evgenia battle for gold. so for the upcoming season if you accept Evgenia and Alina have two spots out of three who is the third Russian. Sotskova? Radinova? Tsurskaya? Liza T? Anna P? Konstantova? (spelling)

Grin

Medalist
I am curious which team is stronger - Japan or Russia. Japan seems more stable. But potentially you have EVgenia and Alina back in fighting form. With the rise of Wakababy I wonder if Kaetlyn's days are numbered on the podium Kaetlyn has to beat the third Russian and three Japanese ladies to get a medal if Alina and Evgenia battle for gold. so for the upcoming season if you accept Evgenia and Alina have two spots out of three who is the third Russian. Sotskova? Radinova? Tsurskaya? Liza T? Anna P? Konstantova? (spelling)

I bet it will be fight between between Gubanova and Panenkova for #3 spot

P.S. But I hope Tsurskaya will give a good fight too

Caustica

Final Flight

Russia has the strongest two skaters but Japan is more even overall. Russian senior ladies show a big drop off in quality (of elements & consistency) after Evgenia and Alina, but Japan has four top skaters at least. In juniors though Russia is clearly dominating at the moment, although we don't know how this will translate to seniors.

Wrt Kaetlyn she will continue to medal if she skates cleanly or near-cleanly. She gets massive GOEs and generous PCS compared to the Japanese.

Caustica

Final Flight
I bet it will be fight between fight between Gubanova and Panenkova for #3 spot

P.S. But I hope Tsurskaya will give a good fight too

I'm still worried about Gubanova's chances at turning senior (i.e. getting a GP spot) this year.... :(