2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
The main issue with her is that the flutz isn't called... And that also works with the word "Artificial" used. The issue isn't even that she flutzes, but it not getting called despite being so blatant and obvious. And this is something I'm saying as someone who's considered Medvedeva to have been my favorite senior skater since she entered seniors until this season.

I totally agree that Zhenya's flutz is by far her greatest weakness, I know that she's trying to fix it and she should because only having 1 Lutz in 2 programs is really costly, especially with skaters like Alina (and the Eteri juniors) out there. It's really hard to fix it at her age though.

I don't think having a flutz makes her unmarketable though, virtually every skater has at leas one fatal flaw - Alina is not a great interpreter yet, Kaetlyn flutzes, Satoko URs... I don't think it's something that should hinder their marketability, it's impossible to be perfect in the end.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Any chance that Anastasia Kostyuk can grab a JGP spot this year? her skating skills are the best of any Russian lady by far and she has amazing spins. Her jumps are :love: as well, with all correct edges but she can headcase sometimes. :( Any one know if she's even in the running?

millie

Medalist
So, in your eyes team Osmond, Daleman and the 3rd Canadian lady (sorry, can't remember her name) is better than team Zagitova, Medeveda and Sotskova? In what way?

Well it’s all in the eyes of the beholder. In my eyes Osmond, Daleman and there are two other girls, Alaine and Larkyn are trying and doing THEIR best, whatever that may be. That don’t take anything away from what you see and feel about Zagitova, Medeveda and Sotskova. Most of them has had a good season, some not so well. In 2018-2019, Let’s hope they all have a good season. In the meantime take a look at the beautiful videos of the girls doing their thing in Japan..🙂

Well it’s all in the eyes of the beholder. In my eyes Osmond, Daleman and there are two other girls, Alaine and Larkyn are trying and doing THEIR best, whatever that may be. That don’t take anything away from what you see and feel about Zagitova, Medeveda and Sotskova. Most of them has had a good season, some not so well. In 2018-2019, Let’s hope they all have a good season. In the meantime take a look at the beautiful videos of the girls doing their thing in Japan..🙂

Who is "Medeveda"?

millie

Medalist
Who is "Medeveda"?[/QUOTE

Did you call “Grin”out on his or her spelling error Medeveda for Medevedeva.....Medeveda....Evgenia Medevedeva...Zhenya....Med.....When we refer to her with these name, everyone knows who we are referring to. 🙂. With the ? Next to her name, did you mean that you didn’t know who she is? Everywhere I search on this form, no one spells her name correct, Medevedeva not Medeveda.

Grin

Medalist
Did you call “Grin”out on his or her spelling error Medeveda for Medevedeva.
You know what, when I realise I made a typo in skater's name I'll correct it, even if I don't find his/her skating interesting to watch. That makes the difference, I suppose.

Btw, her correct name is "Медведева" in cyrillics, so why do you think it's "Medevedeva" in roman letters?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Apparently, Berestovskaya has been attempting 4T. Doesn't look to be very close to being rotated but you can't really call it a terrible attempt considering she still is just 10 years old. I wonder if / when we'll see one by Sofia Akatieva.

Any chance that Anastasia Kostyuk can grab a JGP spot this year? her skating skills are the best of any Russian lady by far and she has amazing spins. Her jumps are :love: as well, with all correct edges but she can headcase sometimes. :( Any one know if she's even in the running?
I don't think so. I also prefer her over Kanysheva, Sinitsyna and several others but unfortunately, she's been rather inconsistent and hasn't had very great performances at the most important competitions. Her jump technique is quite good though and as you say, the skating skills are a true highlight. Sadly, with today's field... when it comes to Russian ladies, some form of consistency is an absolute must if one seeks to be competitive. Of course, everything is possible but it might take some others having terrible skates at JGP...

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
At this point, I am surely going to Sochi in September to watch test skates. Well, they were in Sochi last years. Moscow and St.Petersburg will work for me as well.

Never did I attach so much importance to this event - may be only in 2014 when the big question was in what shape Yulia and Adelina were and if 2 time junior world champion Radionova was fit for her senior career. This time the outlook for the season is so uncertain that any information will be extremely valuable.

The question of them all is Medvedeva. Is she going to continue? Yes, she said she will. But Adelina after Sochi said she would like to win all types of titles never coming back in reality. Will she have surgery? Will it be successful? I think that Medvedeva is the best overall skater in the world. The true artist. And she can further develop. Health and motivation for 4 more years - that's the question, if she has them.

I don't attach so much importance to Alina's disaster in Milano. After Korea she had severe flu. It was a big sacrifice for her to participate in that show. I can understand the Fed - Russian public wanted to see our Olympic champion - the only one in individual events. But after that sacrifice the chances for meltdown became just too high and they materialized. The question I have is all those rumours that she started to grow. She may be in the middle of the growth spurt next season. Her technique is good and she does not plan to add 3A or quads. Still growing up may affect the consistency of the jumps.

But then it's all unclear. I don't believe in Maria any more: everything was at stake during the Olympic season. But other than GPF she could not deliver to her potential. And frankly speaking I don't understand how she will be able too. She looks more like a model now with her 173. Still I may be wrong if she pulls some inner strings and comes strong during test skates with killer programs.

Konstantinova is finished, I think - just don't see how she may get the team another time. But once again what if she shines - no falls, the same speed and the same smile when she is on? May be the test skates will become the first step for new Konstantinova?

Anna P and Polina T. We don't hear about them recently. Will they show up? Do they have anything to show to make a statement that they are still relevant?

I don't believe in Liza T's serious comeback. Just impossible. But she was the world champion if someone forgot. Elena R was not. Will she go for another quad? Does she still have this competitive grit she showed before? I would love to see her back ready, willing, and able to bring a new fight.

And then newcomers Daria Panenkova and Nastya Angel Gubanova. Daria has been a low pcs skater. But she knows how to jump. Just regular stuff even with 3Lz-3Lo won't be enough for her to get to the top of the ranks. Is she going to surprise us with something extraordinary? Nastya used to be gorgeous. I remember her masterpiece of R&J. But she gained weight - it is impossible to deny. How would she fare in September?

Grin

Medalist
JGP vs GP
I was thinking about JGP and GP series in next season. Both will be very exiting for sure. I tried to figure it out what is more interesting to me. My overall favorite skater is Evgenia, but juniors can make a revolution in ladies. I hope Sasha will get 4lz, Anna will regain her 4t and Alena will get 3A.
So, I have higher expectations about juniors next season. Therefore I'm more interested in JGP.
And you,people? What is more exiting/interesting to you?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
During the next fall, my excitement hierarchy tends to be:

Random Russian Locals

-- gap --

Junior Grand Prix

-- large gap --

Senior Grand Prix

Most grand prix events have 2, maybe 3 good skaters. A random Russian local can have 10. Junior GPF >>> Senior GPF for me, also.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
The question of them all is Medvedeva. Is she going to continue? Yes, she said she will. But Adelina after Sochi said she would like to win all types of titles never coming back in reality. Will she have surgery? Will it be successful? I think that Medvedeva is the best overall skater in the world. The true artist. And she can further develop. Health and motivation for 4 more years - that's the question, if she has them.
I think we can say many things about Evgenia but lack of motivation is not one of them. Zhenya used to be underdog for a long time so it's not like she doesn't know how it feels not to win. The health might be bigger issue but I hope she received proper diagnosis (unlike Adelina) and longer than usual off-season will be in her favour.

But then it's all unclear. I don't believe in Maria any more: everything was at stake during the Olympic season. But other than GPF she could not deliver to her potential. And frankly speaking I don't understand how she will be able too. She looks more like a model now with her 173. Still I may be wrong if she pulls some inner strings and comes strong during test skates with killer programs.
Problem with Maria is that she peaks in wrong moment. Her best skates of season are usually around December/January but overall she presents more or less stable results (4th at Europeans and TOP10 at Worlds). I'd like her to skate to something upbeat and cheerful like her Kalinka program but according to Maria her team decided her usual style suits her better :palmf:

Konstantinova is finished, I think - just don't see how she may get the team another time. But once again what if she shines - no falls, the same speed and the same smile when she is on? May be the test skates will become the first step for new Konstantinova?
After Milan I can't see how RusFed is going to overscore her more. Come on... Even favourism has some sort of rationality right?

Anna P and Polina T. We don't hear about them recently. Will they show up? Do they have anything to show to make a statement that they are still relevant?
I believe Polina is capable of making good comeback next season. I'm more worried about Anna. What about her back? What with her mentality? Is she going to change coach or not? If so who she can move to?

And then newcomers Daria Panenkova and Nastya Angel Gubanova. Daria has been a low pcs skater. But she knows how to jump. Just regular stuff even with 3Lz-3Lo won't be enough for her to get to the top of the ranks. Is she going to surprise us with something extraordinary? Nastya used to be gorgeous. I remember her masterpiece of R&J. But she gained weight - it is impossible to deny. How would she fare in September?
Nastya's puberty was a killer to her already poor jumping technique. When she was smaller abrupt take off and tilted axis weren't as problematic as after she developed. I don't think moving to Buianova is good move as Buianova isn't definitely jumping coach. I wonder what about Daria. Will her pcs rise like Alina's after she moves to seniors or not? Will she have better programs? I hope so

millie

Medalist
You know what, when I realise I made a typo in skater's name I'll correct it, even if I don't find his/her skating interesting to watch. That makes the difference, I suppose.

Btw, her correct name is "Медведева" in cyrillics, so why do you think it's "Medevedeva" in roman letters?

Well according to all records of competitions and Including the Olympics Ladies Figure Skating,
she is listed as EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA as a Russian Ladies Figure skater and Olympic silver medalist. Go tell them that they have misspelled her name.🙂

Grin

Medalist
Well according to all records of competitions and Including the Olympics Ladies Figure Skating,
she is listed as EVGENIA MEDVEDEVA as a Russian Ladies Figure skater and Olympic silver medalist. Go tell them that they have misspelled her name.🙂

Actually, Medvedeva is correct. Medevedeva isn't.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I'm thinking about attending both Rostelecom Cup and Russian Nationals(especially Nationals!). But i don't know what normal price for tickets usually is. Like, not the most expensive ones but also not the cheapest ones. Something average with a decent view. Samkrut, any info on this? I've seen prices for previous Nationals and they were like 1000-5000 for ladies free. Is that real? Which competition is more expensive btw?

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
JGP vs GP
And you,people? What is more exiting/interesting to you?

JGP for me too! For the combativity of our young ladies and the huge number of top skaters, it can be unpredictable and pretty spectacular! (+bonus sasha's and annia's quads, and alena's 3A, to add more spice to it :hap57:) I just hope the fed will give 6 girls 2 JGP spots each, that would be just amazing.

In the senior competition I expect a new Alina-Zhenya showdown, this is quite predictable. And honestly, that's fine with me, as I love them both. :luv17:

Grin

Medalist
I'm thinking about attending both Rostelecom Cup and Russian Nationals(especially Nationals!). But i don't know what normal price for tickets usually is. Like, not the most expensive ones but also not the cheapest ones. Something average with a decent view. Samkrut, any info on this? I've seen prices for previous Nationals and they were like 1000-5000 for ladies free. Is that real? Which competition is more expensive btw?

for 800-1000 rubles you will see tiny figure in the small and distant rink. But you can try to take not so distant seat (there will be some free seats).
for 2500-3000 rubles you can watch figure skating without binoculars