2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 452 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
How many skaters do you think will be eligible for GP spots next year and not given them? Russia already maxed out their available spots this season and next season will be worse. Unless three skaters retire won’t adding three seniors really cause a dramatic shift in funding and overall opportunity?

I certainly can see why Anna would want to go senior but I can see why the RusFed would benefit by keeping her on the JGP as another near guaranteed JWC. It’s much better to have a crowded and competive JGP than an overcrowded senior GP IMO since assignments can be shifted to reflect the results of current competiveness.

I’m very curious to see how this plays out. I wouldn’t say it’s foolish to keep one back anymore than flooding their senior ranks but on a personal note.... I kind of hope one of the three stay back because I hardly watch the senior GP anymore. The coverage sucks and I’m over using dicey streams. I hope Yulia has my back with telesport :pray:

I'm not sure that Radionova and Konstantinova will earn them. Konstantinova was never clean, and for her, was relatively good at Ondrej Nepela, but still only got 180. That won't make the SB list this year. And Radionova... she is struggling (the Buyanova influence is real :devil:). I'd like to believe that Polya just had a bad competition because she's so good, but... Buyanova influence. (can you tell which coach I'm skeptical of? :laugh:)

And to answer your other question, none of those four will be senior eligible next year. Kanysheva and Sinitsyna in 2020-2021, and Valieva and Usacheva in 2021-2022 in time for the Olympics.

moriel

Record Breaker
Stanislava Konstantinova
Evgenia Medvedeva
Daria Panenkova
Elena Radionova
Sofia Samodurova
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Alina Zagitova

There is also Anna Pogo somewhere, we dunno how it will go for her this season. None of those girls plans retiring.
Adding 3 uber juniors means that rusfed would need to drop 3 out of those 10 ladies from GP.

andromache

Record Breaker
Stanislava Konstantinova
Evgenia Medvedeva
Daria Panenkova
Elena Radionova
Sofia Samodurova
Maria Sotskova
Polina Tsurskaya
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Alina Zagitova

There is also Anna Pogo somewhere, we dunno how it will go for her this season. None of those girls plans retiring.
Adding 3 uber juniors means that rusfed would need to drop 3 out of those 10 ladies from GP.

Maybe Evgenia should represent Canada after all!!! ;)

But really, the situation is very dire and it makes me so sad. I think the most likely girl who will get dropped next year is Radionova, at least based on how she looks right now compared to the others.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure that Radionova and Konstantinova will earn them. Konstantinova was never clean, and for her, was relatively good at Ondrej Nepela, but still only got 180. That won't make the SB list this year. And Radionova... she is struggling (the Buyanova influence is real :devil:). I'd like to believe that Polya just had a bad competition because she's so good, but... Buyanova influence. (can you tell which coach I'm skeptical of? :laugh:

But don’t the feds chose who they invite? Wouldn’t they rather invite an eligible Stasya around 190 (giving her benefit of the doubt this season) over a skater who has a score of 210? I don’t think Skate America for instance wants to invite Alena if they could instead invite Liza if Liza is eligible for a spot. As far as I know the only skaters who are guaranteed 2 spots are top 3 at WC. Being eligible for two spots doesn’t guarantee it does it? Does winning JWC guarantee two spots?

And to answer your other question, none of those four will be senior eligible next year. Kanysheva and Sinitsyna in 2020-2021, and Valieva and Usacheva in 2021-2022 in time for the Olympics.

So if Anna stuck around and dominated JGP next year she wouldn’t be ruining anyone’s chances of moving forward :think:

Look..I don’t know what will happen but I’m just saying I’ve seen the RusFed do similar things in the past. I actually think it makes more sense in some ways but I get why Anna would rather move up. It should be interesting to see what goes down with the rest of the season and add an interesting dynamic.

I can’t wait for JGPF....my favorite event of the year :yay:

Senior GPF is kinda kewl2 :cool14:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
But don’t the feds chose who they invite? Wouldn’t they rather invite an eligible Stasya around 190 (giving her benefit of the doubt this season) over a skater who has a score of 210? I don’t think Skate America for instance wants to invite Alena if they could instead invite Liza if Liza is eligible for a spot. As far as I know the only skaters who are guaranteed 2 spots are top 3 at WC. Being eligible for two spots doesn’t guarantee it does it? Does winning JWC guarantee two spots?
yes.

And to be at SB-24 list are pretty much guarantee at least one spot too.
And sorry, I'm pretty skeptical about ability some of senior girls to get more than 200 points.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And to be at SB-24 list are pretty much guarantee at least one spot too.

But it’s up to each federation to put out the invite. If there are 12 or 13 skaters on the SB list that are eligible wouldn’t those feds want to invite as many to just one event as they could to potentially prevent them from going to GPF. Maybe not even on purpose but just by chance it could happen where with too many senior eligible skaters that some who could potentially go to GPF only get one event.

Feds often leave off more competive skaters to increase the odds that their skaters will have more success at home. It’s a bit of s risky game IMO that will require expert politicking from RusFed.

And sorry, I'm pretty skeptical about ability some of senior girls to get more than 200 points.

Lol..maybe :biggrin:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Look, doesn't matter how much some users would love to forced one of the best girls to stay in juniors.. RusFed won't do it.

RusFed is not stupid to leave girls with quads or trixel in junior's when they can compete as a seniors.

I still reamember as some users here desired for Alina to stay at juniors... one more season..

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
If we're looking at those seniors, I'd have no problem if Konstantinova, Radionova, Samudurova, and Polina lose their seniority over the likes of the 3A's. Kon has been given enough gifts to last a career IMO, Rad doesn't even seem interested in improving, Sam just doesn't have "it", and Polina is probably hampered by her injuries. I am of the opinion that skaters should "make hay when the sun shines". If they are eligible for senior, then for heaven's sake go for it! The 3A's might all fall due to puberty/injuries in two years, why not give them the chance next year to go for the big titles while they can?

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
If we're looking at those seniors, I'd have no problem if Konstantinova, Radionova, Samudurova, and Polina lose their seniority over the likes of the 3A's. Kon has been given enough gifts to last a career IMO, Rad doesn't even seem interested in improving, Sam just doesn't have "it", and Polina is probably hampered by her injuries. I am of the opinion that skaters should "make hay when the sun shines". If they are eligible for senior, then for heaven's sake go for it! The 3A's might all fall due to puberty/injuries in two years, why not give them the chance next year to go for the big titles while they can?
I would leave Samodurova out of this line just yet. The girl is consistent, tiny jumps, yes, but atm she is doing the best to her abilities

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Never mind, question answered in the thread, just needed to find it. Sofia S. She is just...WOW. And the music...more WOW. I love this girl and her program, and there is nothing junior about her skating. As to Bereksovskaya, the spins are just sick. The speed, flexibility.
Yep, Samodelkina has truly managed to level up this season.

If you haven't, see Sofia Samodelkina's SP as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9ZiZkpBdo
I really love the lightning-speed arm movements, I'm not sure why we don't see such "snap" more often. Or maybe you need a special skater to deliver it so well. Actually, with this SP you can see she's a special talent even before the program begins by the way she gets into the opening pose.

moriel

Record Breaker
But it’s up to each federation to put out the invite. If there are 12 or 13 skaters on the SB list that are eligible wouldn’t those feds want to invite as many to just one event as they could to potentially prevent them from going to GPF. Maybe not even on purpose but just by chance it could happen where with too many senior eligible skaters that some who could potentially go to GPF only get one event.

Feds often leave off more competive skaters to increase the odds that their skaters will have more success at home. It’s a bit of s risky game IMO that will require expert politicking from RusFed.

Lol..maybe :biggrin:

Hmmm and considering russia has 3 spots, are the other feds forced to invite 3 russian ladies?
in that case, having more girls eligible is actually bad, because feds can invite ones with lower scores, or ones that cannot get a second GP or something to imrpove their own chances. If that is the case, i see russia forcing 2-3 skaters from list to retire or something.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Eteri's curse in action:

numbers don't lie...

P.S. +16.05

We have yet to see what Polina and Evgenia get once they skate clean. Polya unfortunately had a literal splatfest of a skate, even under Eteri that wouldn‘t have got any good PCS. Evgenia also wasn‘t clean and ACI is known for scoring harsher than other challengers like Lombardia.

Nastya I don‘t understand, though. Was that from the JGP? She had good skates, mature presentation, even if the programs don’t quite live up to the masterpieces she had last year yet. But she was still doing well so I really see no reason why her PCS would drop. Pretty dumb if you ask me and I don‘t understand it at all.

Lil‘Bet‘s case is obvious, though. She‘s doing a lot better under Eteri, her approach seems to be working tremendously well for her and I‘m glad she‘s back in a team that suits her so much.

All in all, I can‘t quite support this thesis yet. Evgenia and Polina aren‘t the best examples because the former wasn‘t clean and doesn‘t have finished programs yet and the other one had two major meltdowns. We‘ll have to see how this works out as the season progresses. I‘d say it‘s not a matter of PCS but rather a matter of Eteri-type-consistency that is rewarded. Even though it‘s still questionable whether Polina and Zhenya would even have managed to keep being that consistent. Polina wasn‘t even last year and Zhenya is now dealing with past injuries and being out of jumping for 4 months. I think both of their PCS would have dropped anyway.

(Which doesn‘t mean I support Polya‘s move to Buyanova... nope. Get away from that woman! There are other coaches in Russia, too if you can‘t stay with Eteri. After Masha, Lena and Nastya Gubanova, I just don‘t trust Buyanova anymore, sorry. :( )

Shayuki

Record Breaker
(Which doesn‘t mean I support Polya‘s move to Buyanova... nope. Get away from that woman! There are other coaches in Russia, too if you can‘t stay with Eteri. After Masha, Lena and Nastya Gubanova, I just don‘t trust Buyanova anymore, sorry. :( )
And especially Proklova.

Honestly, Polina just doesn't look like she can skate a clean program in her current state at all.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
And especially Proklova.

Honestly, Polina just doesn't look like she can skate a clean program in her current skate at all.

I discovered figure skating after Proklova's peak and I'm still upset about it. Buyanova is just... honestly, she's pretty awful as a coach. maybe skaters go to CSKA for the facilities, but Davydov would be a much more logical choice since he has both CSKA support and actual decent coaching.

It's really sad about Polina. She has everything to become a star, but... Buyanova.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Yea I'm finding it hard to understand the Buyanova love, nobody has performed decently under her since Sotnikova's fluke skates at the Olympics.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I discovered figure skating after Proklova's peak and I'm still upset about it.
It's so sad. Proklova was pretty much the perfect skater. Flexibility, skating skills, spins, artistry. Actually, I still don't think there's anyone at her level in these categories, even after all these years. Kamila Valieva's the closest candidate, if she gets the skating skills... But it's a tall order. If you look at this step sequence for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfylNpo3iI&t=84s It still stands out.

And also, Proklova being an actual ballet dancer...

MalAssada

Medalist
It's so sad. Proklova was pretty much the perfect skater. Flexibility, skating skills, spins, artistry. Actually, I still don't think there's anyone at her level in these categories, even after all these years. Kamila Valieva's the closest candidate, if she gets the skating skills... But it's a tall order. If you look at this step sequence for instance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfylNpo3iI&t=84s It still stands out.

Proklova was my favourite of the wonder 4, even though I very much doubt her jumps would have survived puberty. Gosh, sometimes figure skating is so cruel. From the wonder 4, only one truly went on to do everything we expected.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Proklova was my favourite of the wonder 4, even though I very much doubt her jumps would have survived puberty. Gosh, sometimes figure skating is so cruel. From the wonder 4, only one truly went on to do everything we expected.

Who were the wonder 4? I only started following juniors 2 years ago. I'm so sad that I did not. I only watched what was on tv and not streaming.