2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Gumennik will podium at this rate.....

I hope not. I love Gumennik, but he still needs to improve in certain areas in order to be a complete skater. I really don’t think the pressure of expectations and the distractions/constant stream of contradictory external input from dozens of people that come with getting dragged into the Russian federation’s endless search for the next Plushenko would be good for his development. For exmaple, if the federation starts seeing him as a contender for a Euros/Worlds spot (or as someone it can use to put pressure on other contenders), I can guarantee they’ll start pressuring him to add more quads to his programmes instead of letting him develop at his own pace and work on spins/transitions/etc.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I hope not. I love Gumennik, but he still needs to improve in certain areas in order to be a complete skater. I really don’t think the pressure of expectations and the distractions/constant stream of contradictory external input from dozens of people that come with getting dragged into the Russian federation’s endless search for the next Plushenko would be good for his development. For exmaple, if the federation starts seeing him as a contender for a Euros/Worlds spot (or as someone it can use to put pressure on other contenders), I can guarantee they’ll start pressuring him to add more quads to his programmes instead of letting him develop at his own pace and work on spins/transitions/etc.

I agree with you, but I don't think RusFed does. :devil: I'm already starting a prayer circle for little Petr, because right now he is destined to go down the path you described, especially with no clear #1 right now.

starla16

Medalist
Samarin will be russian national champion or Voronov
Gumennik might sneak in podium if he lands all his 3 axels and others falter.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You don't forget about Kovtun. He is focused, and probably at first time in his career really wants to skate and win.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'd love to see Voronov winning, but the odds say he most likely will end up with no medal and no second half of the season. :drama:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd love to see Voronov winning, but the odds say he most likely will end up with no medal and no second half of the season. :drama:

Oh I hope not, I believe in you Sergei! You can do it! :biggrin:

He did pretty well in the short last Russian Nats, it was the FS that got him down...I hope he can do it this year though!

starla16

Medalist
the problem with Voronov is that he doesnt get much love or support from his federation. You saw many times his results and scoring at nationals.
Yet until now the rus fed still cannot find a stable anchor male skater, all are inconsistent, I bet they will bank on Gumennik once he gets more consistent, a bad idea since it was the reason he was so stressed under Mishin to land those axel jumps, only when he changed coached did he had a breathing space to improve at his own pace.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Gumennik could still receive high marks and even medal but still staying in juniors, there is no need to push him in seniors this soon.

I can see Samarin winning nationals this year since the others were a complete mess; well technically Voronov did even better, we'll see if he gets the CSKA inflation this season or if he is still snubbed like Menshov was all the time.

Kovtun can medal this season, scores are already huge at domestic competitions for him, figure skating likes comeback, i can see him skating even one clean program and being rewarded for it like he's Plushenko, TAT is still pushing him.

Aliev and Kolyada for me are the best skaters, but their GP season has been a complete disaster, they have to deliver to medal.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Can I just say how much Voronov impresses me. He gets so little love from the federation but keeps going out there and doing his job even when all everyone can talk about is his age. He seems very self motivated.

Also I am still fangirling over him seeing my ‘we ❤️ Sergei’ sign at Skate America so maybe I’m biased...

I know there are more talented Russian men but what you do in practice means nothing if you can’t put it on the ice in competition.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Russian men's skating continues to be in a bit of a pickle... good for Sergei, seriously. But man, what a disappointment with the other seniors. I am curious how the juniors will turn out; there's a bunch of talented 15-17 year olds but many of them don't have 3As or quads. I just hope the fed won't go crazy and pour all the pcs and expectations on one skater.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russian men's skating continues to be in a bit of a pickle... good for Sergei, seriously. But man, what a disappointment with the other seniors. I am curious how the juniors will turn out; there's a bunch of talented 15-17 year olds but many of them don't have 3As or quads. I just hope the fed won't go crazy and pour all the pcs and expectations on one skater.

Oh, they will because it a vicious cycle. And the next one up seems to be Gumennik. Then there is a bit of a wait for the others because they are mostly only 14-15.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I like Voronov! He was hilarious after his SP at NHK. "Look at me, I still got it!! :scowl:"

starla16

Medalist
Oh, they will because it a vicious cycle. And the next one up seems to be Gumennik. Then there is a bit of a wait for the others because they are mostly only 14-15.

vicious indeed, they never learn now they will hail Gumennik as the next chosen one
then there's 13 year old Daniil Samsonov from eteris camp.

skatenewbie

Medalist
it will be a tight race in nats. Kolyada could show up in form since more time to practice with no GPF, same with Kovtun. Samarin amd Voronov show most promise, Aliev redeems himself with good FS in IdF.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Samarin will be russian national champion or Voronov
Gumennik might sneak in podium if he lands all his 3 axels and others falter.

Gumennik landed two quad sals (one in the SP, one in the FP) during a Russian Cup event recently.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Russia is leading with 7 skater in SB top 24! Kolyada, Aliev, Kovtun, Samarin, Lazukin, Shulepov, and Dmitriev.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Russia is leading with 7 skater in SB top 24! Kolyada, Aliev, Kovtun, Samarin, Lazukin, Shulepov, and Dmitriev.
Dmitriev is way out of the top 24, 29th after Tallinn. And yes, you missed Voronov. Shulepov will get another chance to rise a bit higher in the standings to be on the safe side. It's a pity that Samoilov got no Challengers.

skatenewbie

Medalist
No Voronov?

Dmitriev is way out of the top 24, 29th after Tallinn. And yes, you missed Voronov. Shulepov will get another chance to rise a bit higher in the standings to be on the safe side. It's a pity that Samoilov got no Challengers.
whoops i mistaken Voronov for Dmitriev haha. That's still 7! How can shulepov get another chance? he's not assigned to Golden Spin and i don't think he will be on World team

Status
Not open for further replies.