2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

concorde

Medalist
Isabeau is an intermediate this year. At the May Day 2018 competition, Isabeau got 2nd in the short and won the long (or maybe it was the other way around). The girl (11 years old) that placed opposite Isabeau was 6th at Nationals as a Juv 2 years ago and did not skate at Regionals last year.

Both girls are very good skaters.

I am curious if 1 or both will be at Chesapeake this weekend (same venue as May Day).

irriya

On the Ice
Isabeau is an intermediate this year. At the May Day 2018 competition, Isabeau got 2nd in the short and won the long (or maybe it was the other way around). The girl (11 years old) that placed opposite Isabeau was 6th at Nationals as a Juv 2 years ago and did not skate at Regionals last year.

Both girls are very good skaters.

I am curious if 1 or both will be at Chesapeake this weekend (same venue as May Day).

She's lovely! I like her skating a lot, and she looks very Russian style. Is her family from an Eastern European country maybe?

concorde

Medalist
Someone said earlier that Isabeau'coach is Russian which somewhat explains the skating style.

No idea about Isabeau's background.

kimi492

Final Flight
Anyone knows about Isabeau Levito? Just become a fan of her :love:

Just found her on YouTube - super impressed with her abilities and the way she carries herself for being so young !! Looking forward to see how she does in the future

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just went and watched her programs on YT... wow. She has more artistic flair than a sizeable chunk of the senior skaters.

Found her... I'll not comment on artistic abilities of children, but really, is this tano/rippon nonsense being promoted this desperately from the lower ranks, now?

synteis

Medalist
Found her... I'll not comment on artistic abilities of children, but really, is this tano/rippon nonsense being promoted this desperately from the lower ranks, now?
Sam and gkelly have both mentioned it's v prevalent there. From the sounds of it it even aids jumping because it helps with axis and keeping the centreline engaged. Plus potentially people find it easier to jump this way and once they learn how to do it, struggle with the old method.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Mirai’s Twitter had a comment about staying in shape; is she competing on the GP circuit this year? Think about who’s left if she doesn’t...

bubblecherry

Final Flight
^
I was watching Mirai's instagram story about 3-4 days ago and she said she was using some kind of strategy to get her jumps tighter. I don't know why she would be doing something so specific and technical if she was just going to be doing shows or something. Who knows, though.

brightphoton

Medalist
I had mixed feelings about the clock step sequence (I did not see it live, FWIW). On the one hand it was something cool and different and unique, but it also felt a little gimmicky?

I do think, more generally, that Bradie's step sequences are her weakest elements. The quality of her skating isn't phenomenal (probably about the same level as the rest of the top US ladies, if not a little better, but just not phenomenal), and her movements and body positions oftentimes look very awkward. From her waist up, during her step sequences specifically, she really reminds me of pre-2014 Gracie Gold.

IIRC, her step sequences are consistently level 3 and not 4, so that's something to work on for this season as well.

I like clock motifs. They always remind me of Fumie Suguri's clock opening to her 2006-2007 Adiemus/Song of the Spirits LP, which is one of my top favorite skating programs. Amazing music, choreographic sequences, hairstyle, wow, what a dress. For me, it's bittersweet, because I feel like it was Fumie's last hoorah, This was the year that she got beat by new upstart Mao Asada and got left off the World Team. Fumie basically never really won anything afterwards. This was such an innovative program, especially for its time. It evoked a feeling of cosmic wonder, and such joy in her skating. Fumie had such carriage, posture, and lightness -- and unfortunately, that doesn't garner points.

Bradie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vFOcOPq2O0&t=1m47s
Fumie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUd-LSfR-U&t=0m38s
non-potato quality video of Fumie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOTgdkCbcW0

Shayuki

Record Breaker

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wow, that 3A definitely wasn't under. I hope she can improve the feet on landing a little bit(More horizontal), then she could get this very consistent!

I actually think that she's going to win Aerial Challenge.

I have corrected my post above. Alysa's PCS must have been 27.74 in order for scores to add up to 71.00.

I think you are right about Aerial Challenge. :popcorn:

andromache

Record Breaker
Wow, that 3A definitely wasn't under.

Wasn't it SUPER under? Like, a downgrade?

Nice first half of a program from Ting, shame about the fall on the 3F(?). Anyone know who was with her, coach-wise?

ETA: Or was it overrotated? I can't count rotations worth a crap, especially in less-than-stellar quality video when I am supposed to be working lol.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Wasn't it SUPER under? Like, a downgrade?

Nice first half of a program from Ting, shame about the fall on the 3F(?). Anyone know who was with her, coach-wise?

ETA: Or was it overrotated? I can't count rotations worth a crap, especially in less-than-stellar quality video when I am supposed to be working lol.
She had trouble with the landing because she almost went over. And also because the skate's almost vertical(Much more comfortable if it's more horizontal).

All her 3As have been UR until now so this is quite a landmark.