2018 Four Continents Short Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Short Dance

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Miramoto/Reed and Soucisse/Firus are virtually tied, and I think that's right. I couldn't decide between them.

thought the Parsons' initial tizzle marks were a bit generous, though they might have gone down.

They do extra twizzles, like the Shibs, so they probably have room to lose a few -- they did lose a level from the get-go.

slider11

Medalist
I wish Rachael finds another partner with a tall height such as Pavel Drodz of Russia....:p

I was thinking the same. I'm trying to think of another taller US skater that might be a match for her. And a 5'3" or shorter woman for Michael. They are great ice dancers but the height similarity is an issue. I'm fine with Pavel but then you have the citizenship problem with the Olympics. Michael and Rachel are young and have time to re-match. Jean-Luc is 24 (I think?) so a little late. Kaitlin is much stronger in the FD. I'm sure she's glad that the Latin season is almost over!

auser

Record Breaker
So frustrating to see the twizzle mishaps with the Parsons this season with all their quality.
I like the powerful feel of their skating, but wish they showed more stretch and extension in their leg lines. They are young, so hopefully they will enhance this going forward :).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't buy the whole Parsons need new partners thing. Yes they are similar in height and that creates challenges -- but they are super well-matched and their high skating quality is similar.

Anyway, this moment brought to you by Cognitive Dissonance.

slider11

Medalist
I like the powerful feel of their skating, but wish they showed more stretch and extension in their leg lines. They are young, so hopefully they will enhance this going forward :).

I feel like Rachel doesn't want to appear as tall as she is so she holds back with the leg extension. Imagine how elegant she'd look with a taller partner.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Well this is McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons first season as seniors. It's probably not going to be a breeze for everyone transitioning.

Hopefully we're just seeing growing pains from both teams. Look at Jean-Luc and Kaitlin -- it took a while for them to get as seniors -- four years ago they were the junior world champs.

I know, I know. I'm just looking forward to see them kicking butt alongside the top teams.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't buy the whole Parsons need new partners thing. Yes they are similar in height and that creates challenges -- but they are super well-matched and their high skating quality is similar.

I totally agree with you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Those were some rough twizzles.

What's with the Parsons and McNamara/Carpenter's technical struggles this year? Their technical proficiency and gorgeous edges were what I liked most about them.

The Wheaton coaching team has not had a lot of experience with senior level students.

And the bigger, more full arenas typical of senior events is a big change, too, both for the students and the coaches.

It can be quite daunting.

Seniors typically skate faster than juniors. When you step it up, you are apt to make mistakes.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Wheaton coaching team has not had a lot of experience with senior level students.

And the bigger, more full arenas typical of senior events is a big change, too, both for the students and the coaches.

I give them props for bring Linchuk in. I know she has sort of a mixed reputation, but it shows that Wheaton is serious about their teams and willing to do what is needed for them to be successful.

rain

Record Breaker

What I noticed and would like to see them work on, beside the leg line, is her placement of her free arm — you can really, really see it in the rhumba, so much so that it distracted me — it was sort of loose and purposeless, like she'd forgotten it was attached to her body.

Artistry

On the Ice
I give them props for bring Linchuk in. I know she has sort of a mixed reputation, but it shows that Wheaton is serious about their teams and willing to do what is needed for them to be successful.

What's her reputation?
Was that her looking so apathetic by a few teams? Haven't seen her in a while.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
hello Short Dance Fans!

you can wonder for yourselves now if I just called you all short fans.

Glad to see H/B in front. I think they are really good. I'll have to go watch my boy Sun! Was he his usual joyful self?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What's her reputation?
Was that her looking so apathetic by a few teams? Haven't seen her in a while.

Well the whole aborginal dance with Shabalin and Dominia back in 2010 Olympics and the fact she hasn't had any successful teams since them (and Belbin/Agosto).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
hello Short Dance Fans!

you can wonder for yourselves now if I just called you all short fans.

Glad to see H/B in front. I think they are really good. I'll have to go watch my boy Sun! Was he his usual joyful self?

He was pretty good, but not as into the dance as last year.

I'm afraid that if you put Liu and Sun next to each other, I couldn't tell them apart. Perhaps Liu is taller, or maybe he just has a shorter partner. They're both really enjoyable to watch.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I agree with you. Does the lack of height difference affect their twizzles? They've made other errors this season but that's been the most common one. I'm no skater, but I can't really see how height would be a problem for that, especially since their twizzles were so good last season.

The most common lack of height difference related problem is normally with lifts, right? I mean, in pairs also with twists, but lifts are the big one in dance. They haven't been having problems with the lifts - all levels fours this season IIRC. Would the lack of height difference affect step sequences and patterns? I'd think it helps to be somewhat similar in height in terms of matching lines, etc.

They definitely need to figure some things out, but I wouldn't jump to splitting up yet, especially since there won't necessarily be partners available who are the perfect fit.

slider11

Medalist

It can be quite daunting.

Seniors typically skate faster than juniors. When you step it up, you are apt to make mistakes.

Plus the Wheaton School has so many up and coming young skaters that I don't think there's enough coaching power to nurture and refine these talented but young senior teams like McNamara/Carpenter and the Parsons. I know they have a strong Russian base so I get bringing in Linichuk. But I wonder if a Belbin/Agosto would help with confidence and finesse? Both have done some coaching and they would certainly be relatable to the younger skaters.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
My feed was so scratchy I only caught his. :Laugh: awkwardly. Didn't realize she missed it too.

Just turned on INW at the end....feed froze up literally 50 percent of the time. Cant wait to see what happens for the Pairs... :noshake:

Lets hire the ladies from "Hidden Figures" to fix INW! :agree:

tinlizzie

Final Flight
M/C and the Parsons look shaky, insecure and not polished. I was hoping for a better senior debut from them. A coaching change and packaging might be in order. The Parsons to Marina and M/C to Gadbois?