2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Short Program | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Short Program

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Maybe the enthusiasm has worn off with this program for Evgenia because she performed it better at Autumn Classic.
I mean I didn't like her old programs but some of them felt more substantial music-wise. This is a novelty and without the fireworks, it's just nothing.
Well, maybe next year we'll see something more inspiring.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I don't know if it's a superiority complex exactly, more like an obligation to be perfect all the time.

Perhaps superiority complex is the wrong phrase. It's more of a concrete confidence in her #1 position and that it was a given that she was way ahead of the rest of the field.

If you operate under that type of mentality from the moment you move into Seniors, it must be jarring to fall behind so quickly.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Perhaps superiority complex is the wrong phrase. It's more of a concrete confidence in her #1 position and that it was a given that she was way ahead of the rest of the field.

If you operate under that type of mentality from the moment you move into Seniors, it must be jarring to fall behind so quickly.

See i think she was always unreasonably far ahead of the rest of the field in the past. I mean first, okay, but unbeatable? I hope this doesn't demotivate her now.

pearly

Record Breaker
Surprised Rika placed so high without one element.
Evgenia really needs to change the dress. I'd love it if she went back to her Russian dress maker, but even if she chose someone else it would be a good idea. The SP dress is so unflattering on her.
Glad to see Marin in 4th, I hope she has a good free tomorrow as well.

I'm not sure Med will make the GPF, but fingers crossed.

moriel

Record Breaker
Looking at her and her team, and listening to their recent interviews, i think that not making GPF would be a good thing.
Because she will eventually crash at some points - rusnats or worlds or next year, and the sooner it happens, the better. Something is not right there, something is not working, and all this talk of "she improved so much" and "she is so happy in Canada" is not a constructive approach imho.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
She needs to be light-hearted and sassy for this program, which directly contradicts with the nerves and pressure.

This SP should be shelved for exhibition, and they should never have let Wilson choreograph for Med.

See I think the SP works when she is relaxed, which she clearly wasn't today. I also don't think skating last helped her.

I'm not against her working with different choreographers. In fact- I'd really like to see her work with Shae-Lynn (as long as there were no voiceovers involved...).

moriel

Record Breaker
Also, she got a ! on her Lz yet again, which means she will also likely get one in FS.

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
I think this is what happens when a skater is overscored from the start. I'm not saying she shouldn't have dominated the field in the past, the point is that the gap was really too huge, maybe she overestimated herself and now it's hard to face the truth.

gioccia

On the Ice
Medvedeva's score is a slap in the face to all the Japanese girls. That's SO unfair. I would have them miles ahean Med. Where did they take those PCS? Was there a program? Interpretation? Those who are saying Zagitova is not worthy of her PCS...please... I don't know what Brian is changing, it seems to me that what Eteri did to this girl was a miracle, it was Eteri who was a genius, not Evgenia.
She'll make the GP final, but I'd rather have Mai and Marin there... My perfect podium this year would be Rika, Alina, Liza (if she puts a 3Lz3T in her SP)
My parents (former fans of Zhenya) watched the SP with me, were shocked when they saw the scores and were very impressed with Marin and Mai.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I think this is what happens when a skater is overscored from the start. I'm not saying she shouldn't have dominated the field in the past, the point is that the gap was really too huge, maybe she overestimated herself and now it's hard to face the truth.

Hard not to overestimate yourself when the judges keep telling you you're unbeatable.

Interesting thing is, Zagitova's rise was just as meteoric, or even more so than Med's, and Med's fall right now will also come around to Zagitova eventually. The two of them share similar trajectories.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm not against her working with different choreographers. In fact- I'd really like to see her work with Shae-Lynn (as long as there were no voiceovers involved...).

I think Shae-Lynn would be a much better choice for helping Evgenia find her own voice in her programs. She has a knack for that. Definitely better than Wilson.

freeman21

On the Ice
wow! that PCS was generous! [emoji23]
I think she’s so upset because she needed 214+ right? Maybe by Russian Nats the program will be better, as of now it totally misses a sparkle, even her earlier performances looked a bit better. She just seemed so nervous here, this program needs smiles and smiles and charm and charisma, she’s not sending “fun” vibes. A shame really!
But wow, the top 3 are basically tied! I can’t believe Rika’s score held her up to second place even with a popped 3A! [emoji23] This event is really cursed! Let’s hope the Free will be cleaner for everyone! [emoji120]

Evgenia doesn't even try to sell her program anymore. I loved it at the test skate, but this isn't working for her. :( I think this will be easy for Rika...

Evgenia really needs a more playful and sultry vibe for this program to work. She seemed so tense today. Understandable but it does not help with the projection of the program.

Regarding her mad face, I LOLed reading a comment to a Russian article posted after today's progam:

"She needs to take the soundtrack from the Terminator for the short program and then everything will fall into place, since the hit in the image will be one hundred percent"

(google translate)

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
Hard not to overestimate yourself when the judges keep telling you you're unbeatable.

Interesting thing is, Zagitova's rise was just as meteoric, or even more so than Med's, and Med's fall right now will also come around to Zagitova eventually. The two of them share similar trajectories.

I don't agree on Zagitova, sure she was pumped too, but I think they don't work the same mentally. Zagitova already had bad competition (Worlds) and she didn't always deliver clean skating at the beginning of last season, I doubt she consider herself unbeatable especially in this season field. I don't feel Alina was raised to be the star, she is now, but her mindset is different... I'm sorry in my head it makes perfect sense, but it's so hard to explain :laugh:

neusw

On the Ice

lol that’s a little harsh. Zagitova strikes me as very realistic about both her abilities and what’s coming up behind her. She’s much more likely to retire all together than decide to rebuild everything with a new coach. There’s no way Med’s scores would have “fallen” this quickly if she were still with Eteri. I’m not commenting on any coaching change controversy (I actually think it was the right move for her personally), just the fact that Eteri builds programs differently. Whatever Eteri would’ve given her this season to skate to would’ve been seen more favorably PCS-wise with the judges.

Danny T

Medalist
OK, so I rewatched the Japanese girls' programmes. I love Mai's skating, but this SP is very weak, and honestly it might be weaker than Evgenia's programme. Of course, her skating today is still beautiful, and the axel and the flip was good. That lutz edge should've gotten called though, she wasn't really confident in the combo today.

Marin's programme was a nice change of direction for her. Content-wise last season's SP was much stronger IMO; Raf's team doesn't pack as much transitions and one foot skating as Hamada's team and it shows. But, BUT, her skating quality is definitely still there! And performance-wise I thought it was strong too. Again, can't see what put her SS in the sevens. Seven!

Rika's judging I actually felt was mostly right. I find the music utterly boring, but the programme was decently choreographed, it highlights the music, and the skating content was definitely there. Jump-wise, Rika deserves all those GOE, especially on the rippon lutz. The only mistake was the invalid axel, and well, it got invalidated.

chloepoco

Medalist
I think Mai is the most underrated skater...

Even the commentators throw shade and underhanded compliments at her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm happy for Marin and Maé. Scores are not high but there are improvements. And they got season bests!
It's criminal to not give Marin the best score on SS, or at least second best score behind Mai. Give the girl UR calls but give her good scores for what she's good at.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I'm happy for Marin and Maé. Scores are not high but there are improvements. And they got season bests!
It's criminal to not give Marin the best score on SS, or at least second best score behind Mai. Give the girl UR calls but give her good scores for what she's good at.

You'd think Marin had run over the ISU's dog with the way judging panels habitually sell her short on her PCS.