2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Short Program | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Ladies Short Program

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Yeah rewatching it, Evgenia's SP felt like these old Gracie Gold programs where she was serious all the time despite the program was so supposed to be light and fun. She was almost crying at the end.

The position is still good for a silver with a clean free skate but she has to believe it more.

On a side note, i know we shouldn't discuss this at all but i think she gained some weight from Skate Canada. (which could surely affect her speed and the position in the air on jumps)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The whole point of a personality program is, you know, to show you have one.

Without that, it's week old ginger ale.

Danny T

Medalist
Some things in protocols: Mai got < on the combo toe, as I've seen, so that's fair. Rika's clean except for the pop which gets nothing. Evgenia got ! on the lutz, Marin got < on both of the combo jumps. As far as tech goes, I think it's quite fair. Granted, the slow-mos are kinda fast so not sreu if I missed anything.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Strangely enough test skate was the best presentation of this program. It seems she is just entirely focused on getting through the jumps now.

Yeah, I actually really liked Zhenya's SP at test skates and ACI! I loved the old dress, too. Now though :slink:

I feel for her with the nerves and the pressure, I really do, but the PCS is a joke. And it isn't like in her years of dominance when she would have won anyway—Marin had higher TES and a better performance and should be sitting comfortably in third right now. It simply isn't fair. But with Marin's nerves and Zhenya's willpower, I suspect it won't make a difference in the long anyway.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
From India but lived all over the country, so don't really have a particular city that I would say is home for sure. The closest to home would be the National Capital Region, I guess.

I am studying urdu but I suppose you speak hindi.

melgirl25

Medalist
I must agree. I've heard so many complains about her "drama programs" she had, but now it can be seen it was fitting her much more. This is not about technique, this is about nature and feel for the program. She has to fight too much with style and rhythm.

The positive thing is that the difference between first and third place is just 0.4 point, so nothing is decided yet. And we know that Zhenya is a fighter, in Canada she was in much much worse position before FP.

This program should be an exhibition. She needs to be relaxed to do the music justice. I don't know what they were thinking to do two new music styles at this intersection in her career.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Honestly, Evgenia could skate to elevator music and the judges would still be willing to hand her the same PCS. She did not try at all to perform or project character today, yet still outright beat everyone else in the performance and interpretation categories. Judge 7 gave her a 9.50/10.00 for performance. That's saying that the judge thinks she is nearly perfect already and has barely any room left for improvement. I love Evgenia and she can be an excellent performer and skater, but today was not her day and her scores should have reflected that.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No matter what Medvedeva's position isn't easy. She is having to adapt to an entirely new situation. It's not a bad thing- she has just never had to learn to come back from unsatisfying skates before this season. Most skaters deal with that much sooner- she was just so dominant for so long. It's a process and if she wants to survive the next few years she needs to figure it out. It's not something that happens overnight. The positive is that after SCI her SP was even worse and she skated a good FP. The good thing about Evgenia is she skates well when mad.

asingingwife

Rinkside
I don't think it's a technical problem or that Zhenya can't handle the style. She's proved she can in exhibitions and even at test skates. Sadly, I think right now it's 100% a mental battle for her. She really needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. She was No.1 for so long and handled her first loss to Alina well enough but at the Olympics we saw her break down. If she can get out of her own head she will be ok, we see it in practice.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
No matter what Medvedeva's position isn't easy. She is having to adapt to an entirely new situation. It's not a bad thing- she has just never had to learn to come back from unsatisfying skates before this season. Most skaters deal with that much sooner- she was just so dominant for so long. It's a process and if she wants to survive the next few years she needs to figure it out. It's not something that happens overnight. The positive is that after SCI her SP was even worse and she skated a good FP. The good thing about Evgenia is she skates well when mad.

Yep. I hate to say it, but perhaps dominance right from the point she turned seniors built an superiority complex in her.

Med's fall has been as fast as her rise, and it must be dizzying to adapt to psychologically.

ElleBee

Spectator
For the last two years the ice quality at France has been questionable. I don't see large puddles like before but I am suspicious.

This and last year it’s been in Grenoble instead of Paris...besides being a pain to get to for spectators (terrible attendance last year), I do wonder too if the ice at this rink is not good. They should change back to Paris next year.

Danny T

Medalist
After all's said and done, being nervous before Medvedeva jumps sure was an experience phew. Guess nobody's invincible forever :p

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Get her a new dress and do her hair differently for the SP. She needs a total reset for this program. She had the mood right at ACI and test skates and lost confidence. She clearly can do this style.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yep. I hate to say it, but perhaps dominance right from the point she turned seniors built an superiority complex in her.

Med's fall has been as fast as her rise, and it must be dizzying to adapt to psychologically.

I don't know if it's a superiority complex exactly, more like an obligation to be perfect all the time.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Get her a new dress and do her hair differently for the SP. She needs a total reset for this program. She had the mood right at ACI and test skates and lost confidence. She clearly can do this style.

She needs to be light-hearted and sassy for this program, which directly contradicts with the nerves and pressure.

This SP should be shelved for exhibition, and they should never have let Wilson choreograph for Med.

asingingwife

Rinkside
I don't know if it's a superiority complex exactly, more like an obligation to be perfect all the time.

Agreed. It wasn't about being superior it was the trust she had in herself and I think her confidence is shattered right now. She will get through this but it's gonna be tough for a while... but she's a fighter. She will come out on the other side.

madison

Record Breaker

I agree with everything... the dress and the hairstyle don't match the style of the music.... she should change that.