2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic and World Championship Spots

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Senior B scores are often inflated relative to GP scores.

As well, I expect this year's GP scores will be inflated relative to last year's GP scores, because Olympic season.

So, comparing that 190.31 to last year's GP scores doesn't indicate much. Let's see how it stacks up against this year's GP scores.

I wish A/W were skating on the GP. If they had skated as well at 4CC or Worlds as Duskova/Bidar did at Euros, they would be. It sucks that there are only eight entries per GP event. I hope they win their JGP event tomorrow, and continue to have a great season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Senior B scores are often inflated relative to GP scores.

As well, I expect this year's GP scores will be inflated relative to last year's GP scores, because Olympic season.

So, comparing that 190.31 to last year's GP scores doesn't indicate much. Let's see how it stacks up against this year's GP scores. ...

None of us ever will be able to know for sure how they would have placed at any GP this season.

The point to me is it is not unthinkable that they could have earned more points toward OWG team event qualification from the GP vs. the JGP.

Contrary to what some others seem to be assuming.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
None of us ever will be able to know for sure how they would have placed at any GP this season.

The point to me is it is not unthinkable that they could have earned more points toward OWG team event qualification from the GP vs. the JGP.

Contrary to what some others seem to be assuming.

I don't think anyone has said or feels that it's unthinkable. Based on your statistics, plus SubRosa's remarks, I think their most likely GP result would have been 5th or 6th. For a 5th they would have gained 12 points, for 6th they would have lost 14 vs the 250 they earned. So there is a difference, but it is small. I really think 3rd place at a senior GP would be out of their reach, given the history of the other competitors. A fourth is a bit more likely, but still remote.

This discussion was in response to people who seem to be assuming that they would earn oodles of extra points just for showing up at a GP. Or that they wouldn't get any points at all for a JGP.

In the end, there really isn't a big difference either way.

icellist

On the Ice
I'm curious to know if Kazakhstan intends to use their second ladies spot. Aiza is the other ladies skater who has the technical minimums, but I think she just withdrew from a CS.

If Kaz fed gave up their second spot, it would go to ARM's Galustyan.

Oh wow icellist, you brought up a great point. Let's all discuss

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated the Pairs post with the news that North Korea has missed the deadline to accept their Pairs spot. Japan has not been officially offered the spot, as the ISU will reallocate spots starting December 13th. I imagine they will accept as they'd likely have used Additional Athletes Quota spots for the Team Event anyway.