And great job Alexander Samarin for coming in 2nd
Dimitri Alieve for coming in 3rd.

good job all.

Good luck in being name to the team.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, I really hope we'll not see an echo at US men's nationals...

Aliev, outskate them!
I would hope not too, as the planned quad content for most of the US men is not as high as the majority of the Russian men.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Men's press conference. Poor Samarin is apologising for his free skate and says he is ashamed :console: He'll work harder and try to make sure it will never happen again. Hard not to like this guy, it's not his fault that he is from CSKA with all that comes with it. He is a hard worker who doesn't try to coast. I hope they'll do more about developing his PCS. Aliev says he is going to Euros, he must already have been told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaVjhxPRvk

TCAngel18

Medalist
Yes, they're on YouTube already. I posted some links in the NO SPOILERS thread, if you don't mind videos in starting order.
I only watched the last four and I think maybe Kolyada performed with more conviction and flair than I've seen him the entire season?

Thank you!!! That 3a-1lo-3lo had to have been unplanned, but a GREAT save!!!

TCAngel18

Medalist
Men's press conference. Poor Samarin is apologising for his free skate and says he is ashamed :console: He'll work harder and try to make sure it will never happen again. Hard not to like this guy, it's not his fault that he is from CSKA with all that comes with it. He is a hard worker who doesn't try to coast. I hope they'll do more about his PCS. Aliev says he is going to Euros, he must already have been told.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PaVjhxPRvk

Ugh I’m just GUTTED for Sergei now. Makes the freakin Grand Prix final, finishes higher than both Americans, now loses out on an Olympic chance on a night where everyone was subpar, because we know they are picking that 2nd spot from Euros results.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Ugh I’m just GUTTED for Sergei now. Makes the freakin Grand Prix final, finishes higher than both Americans, now loses out on an Olympic chance on a night where everyone was subpar, because we know they are picking that 2nd spot from Euros results.
Heartbroken for Sergei :sad4:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just caught up watching Egor's FS and, wow, what a refreshing skater and program, despite the jumps! I love his style. I highly recommend watching it, guaranteed to make you smile.:)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Bummed for Sergei but that is sport and he was outskated here. Plain and simple as that.

More accurately - he was outjudged. Plain and simple. Samarin's PCS is utter bull. He has low TR, low PR, low CH, low CO, average SS. Nevertheless his PCS is higher than much more artistic Aliev 0_0
Also, as Voronov said in one of his interviews after GP events - he has some enemies who doesn't want him win anything and he keeps winning to spite them as well. Most likely he has bad relations with some rusfed officials. I am sure judges there are in cahoots with RusFed and podium's first two placements were decided before free program at least - with special order to not let Voronov win. It's shame to admit as I am russian myself but many russian judges can't be trusted as they are just too corrupt and dependant on higher-ups opinion - as all people with power in my country, tbh.

P.S.: btw, there are talks about Voronov being so strained during FP that he has nose bleeding and wipes blood at k&c.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Really hate to see that 4T+REP in Sergei's protocol. About 4 points thrown away. Perhaps he was too vexed at the moment to keep the rules in mind, but what a pity...:(
He also had an invalid combo at the end. Like Kostia Menshov in 2015. Sergei should have added a 2 Sal after the 2A. His brain was obviously off due to nerves today. :(

They did this so many times before...It lead nowhere. Where is Kovtun now? Samarin will be in the same place in 2 years or so...They'd better leave Aliev alone.
And there you have the reason why they’ll send Aliev and decided on it so very quickly: Sergei could easily threaten Samarin’s position for the 2nd spot in Korea by placing above him at Euros, Aliev not. It’s really disgusting. Plus I have a very bad feeling about Dima now. He should finally cure his foot, but now they’ll have to intensify his training rather than taking care of the injury. Up to know whenever RF rushed young skaters there was no happy ending - just look where Borodulin, Kovtun, Pitkeev are now … still they don’t learn their lesson to let young skaters develop at their own pace. :devil:

ewdokia

On the Ice
P.S.: btw, there are talks about Voronov being so strained during FP that he has nose bleeding and wipes blood at k&c.
Until reading your comment I was so sad but even more angry, about what has happened today. Now it changed and I’m simply crying. Maybe officials should have simply found a reason to forbid Seriosha competing at all. I already bet he won’t get funding next season again, though he should with a 4th place finish (in case he decides to continue, which I don’t think will be the case now anyways). :sad21:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
He also had an invalid combo at the end. Like Kostia Menshov in 2015. Sergei should have added a 2 Sal after the 2A. His brain was obviously off due to nerves today. :(

And there you have the reason why they’ll send Aliev and decided on it so very quickly: Sergei could easily threaten Samarin’s position for the 2nd spot in Korea by placing above him at Euros, Aliev not. It’s really disgusting. Plus I have a very bad feeling about Dima now. He should finally cure his foot, but now they’ll have to intensify his training rather than taking care of the injury. Up to know whenever RF rushed young skaters there was no happy ending - just look where Borodulin, Kovtun, Pitkeev are now … still they don’t learn their lesson to let young skaters develop at their own pace. :devil:
I am tired of watching Aliev's heroic struggles against collapse on the ice this season. It isn't doing anyone any favours. When are they going to properly take care of his health, or at least let him stay home and recover? Dima himself said they cannot properly restrain his foot because he has to continue training. This isn't the ladies and he isn't about to be devoured by upcoming juniors.

moriel

Record Breaker

I would totally send him to euros at least because well, tbh he got to GPF on sheer luck, but surely he had an overall better season than Aliev =(

TCAngel18

Medalist
I would totally send him to euros at least because well, tbh he got to GPF on sheer luck, but surely he had an overall better season than Aliev =(

Agreed. I actually really like Aliev, just watched his FS, he moves well and has an innate sense of musicality. The one I wish wasn’t going to Euros is Samarin. He skates like a Junior, but armed with an iffy 4Lz. That SP really held him up, because without it, he would be on the outside, looking in.

moriel

Record Breaker
Agreed. I actually really like Aliev, just watched his FS, he moves well and has an innate sense of musicality. The one I wish wasn’t going to Euros is Samarin. He skates like a Junior, but armed with an iffy 4Lz. That SP really held him up, because without it, he would be on the outside, looking in.

Im personally fine with samarin.
Both he and Voronov had pretty decent season, and imho deserve going to euros based on their work this year.
While I like Aliev, i think it is utterly unfair to be sent to euros just because ha managed to skate well on this only one competition.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hope Sergei realizes just how many fans he has from many nations who wanted to see him go to the Oly.:cry:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Did the Russian Fed announce anything on whether the 2 Olympic spots have now been decided, or if Euros will factor in as well?