2018 Russian FS Championship Pairs FS | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian FS Championship Pairs FS

QuadThrow

Medalist
They got 0.04 points more for their 4Tw than they usually get for their triple..

I begin to believe that Aljona has the right strategy with disclaiming the 4Tw.

TCAngel18

Medalist
If I were a judge, I'll hammer T/M on composition, PE, Transitions and IN. Their SS are very good and they have excellent elements (some throws and twists are the best in the world). You want to acknowledge everyone's taste ? Fine. But there is a limit. And the limit is there with that program it's just plain wrong.
We often say "the judges want this or that", "the ISU prefers this". Well I hope they hate this. I don't want T/M to become an embarrassement on the Olympic stage ! :(

Completely agree. T/M should have high Skating skills, that’s it. Their lifts are definitely top 3 in the world, although their throws have only height TBH. Their landing positions are always askew, compared to SH and SM. Even KS have better flow and positioning in the landing (even though Ksenia’s Kyoko Ina delays on her throw and triple twist always make my heart jump in my throat).

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
UGHHHHHHHH. RusFed, STOP TRYING TO BUILD MOMENTUM WITH OVERSCORING. I literally can’t with that. Even with a clean 3S, that program is nowhere near a 147.

Nah, seriously. If clean SM are getting 157, then 147 for clean TM isn't very controversial.

TCAngel18

Medalist
They got 0.04 points more for their 4Tw than they usually get for their triple..

I begin to believe that Aljona has the right strategy with disclaiming the 4Tw.

Have S/M tried the 4Tw in the past? Their 3Tw gets such incredible amplitude, I would think the 4Tw would be a piece of cake for them.

whatif

Medalist
Russians are not competing for the Olympic podium in Pairs this year. TAT pretty much unintentionally acknowledged it in her commentary. According to TAT the consensus is that it's Savchenko's time. And S/H will have to have a very good luck to beat them in Korea.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
What about The Power of Love from Frankie goes to Hollywood? I could see them skating to that! It's powerful and romantic. And not tacky but still more modern than some old warhorse.

They could just take their exhibition, "ordinary people" by John legend. That would at worst slighlty bland and still enjoyable with their strong elements - at best, a hit !

Candyman cannot challet S/M or S/H unless massive disaster occurs. The way Russian pairs are looking, this bronze might not even be theirs - more like D/R (strong elements when done correctly) or J/C (very consistent this year and very edgy and often crowd favourite) or Y/Z (very good programs).

QuadThrow

Medalist
Nah, seriously. If clean SM are getting 157, then 147 for clean TM isn't very controversial.

Oh no. It is. Because it was not clean. They have missed 5 points at the Salchow.

In addition their PCS should be betwenn 8.00 and 9.00 concerning all components except S/S.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I am between the few who love Candyman (the song). Naturally, it would have been better for T/M to choose Andrews Sisters if they wanted that kind of mood. The cuts are bit harsh but the only part i don't like is the "french" part. I adore their energy and it suits them, so go there, i like this program enough. Hope in the next quadrennial period they will take a better choreograph and will develop their style.

S/K - ufff. I like their carmen, it suits them to the last T, but against the German and the Chinese pair, it won't stand a chance at Oly.

The other two pairs of the last group ..... :disapp:.

As happy as i am for the future of Russian pair, as black I see for present, especially Oly.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Have S/M tried the 4Tw in the past? Their 3Tw gets such incredible amplitude, I would think the 4Tw would be a piece of cake for them.

Question is how much more risk there is for them not to get the same GOE. Or fail altogether.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Russians are not competing for the Olympic podium in Pairs this year. TAT pretty much unintentionally acknowledged it in her commentary. According to TAT the consensus is that it's Savchenko's time. And S/H will have to have a very good luck to beat them in Korea.

That's only 2 spots though...T/M or S/K could certainly contend for bronze.

TCAngel18

Medalist

Other than the lifts, TMs elements shouldn’t get nearly the plus GOE as the top two teams, and 4 out of the 5 PCS categories shouldn’t even be within a half point of them, either. That program just hurts them SO BAD. And this coming from an Aguilera stan.

Their short program is WONDERFUL and deserve top marks. Not so for the FS.

whatif

Medalist
That's only 2 spots though...T/M or S/K could certainly contend for bronze.

Of course they are BUT only if D/R can't land their lutzes. I think the Euros will be interesting this year. The way the PCS are judged there is going to be an indicator what kind of politics are happening behind the curtains. We can already see S/K PCS dropping like a turd even at the Nationals. I see the trend continuing. And S/M WILL hammer T/M on the second mark. However how J/C will factor into this is unknown. They need to have the skate of their lives and I can see T/M being pushed behind even them.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm less upset about national score inflation when the skating was actually good, but when egregious mistakes are made and a skater/pair with less political clout gets hosed because of it, it's far more disgusting. I prefer S/K but T/M clearly did better...whether you like the program or not. And I don't exactly love it, but I don't think it is as bad as the Comatose Sleeping Beauty boring programs of Z/E, or the sappy cheesefest programs from some other pairs. It has some energy to it, at least.

QuadThrow

Medalist

They tried it in practice but decided not to go for it (Maybe at the Olympics as a suprise?:noshake:). It would be insanely hard to get more than level 2. Just remember that it is even hard for them to receive level 4 for their triple, because Aljona´s split position is not the best and it is difficult for Bruno to make the entrence more quickly.

I think there is an issue with this incredible long air time. During a quad Aljona would have to hold the tight position incredible long. The twist has never been Aljona´s favour.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Of course they are BUT only if D/R can't land their lutzes. I think the Euros will be interesting this year. The way the PCS are judged there is going to be an indicator what kind of politics are happening behind the curtains. We can already see S/K PCS dropping like a turd even at the Nationals. I see the trend continuing. And S/M WILL hammer T/M on the second mark. However how J/C will factor into this is unknown. They need to have the skate of their lives and I can see T/M being pushed behind even them.

SK PCS were overscored by a point or two here, but nearly not as much as TM. I think the judges showed here that, if clean, they slightly prefer SK, so that’s one plus. TM only beat SK by 0.04 in PCS, even with SK’s 3 visible errors to TM’s one, though her 2S wasn’t visibly unclean.

TCAngel18

Medalist
I'm less upset about national score inflation when the skating was actually good, but when egregious mistakes are made and a skater/pair with less political clout gets hosed because of it, it's far more disgusting. I prefer S/K but T/M clearly did better...whether you like the program or not. And I don't exactly love it, but I don't think it is as bad as the Comatose Sleeping Beauty boring programs of Z/E, or the sappy cheesefest programs from some other pairs. It has some energy to it, at least.

I agree that TM here are the rightful winners here, no doubt. They stood up, SK didn’t. It’s the battle within the battle that irks me. RusFed always plays these little games with their scoring that just drive me up the wall.

QuadThrow

Medalist

Did she really say this?

Aljona´s time has come finally.?