2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Although it was designed a few years before COVID-19 came along, the message on this is very timely:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1703/8497/products/you-may-take_large.jpg?v=1594063020

On a different note, for those of us that can receive the Irish channels, "I, Tonya" will be shown on Wednesday night.

Wednesday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2020
RTÉ1 21:35 – 23:45 BST "I, Tonya"

This is what I like about RTÉ. They somehow always manage to get films onto terrestrial TV a lot sooner than the British public service broadcasters (the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5) can.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
So Graham Newberry as just said that Britain Ice Skating is charging it’s skaters £300 per international event they wish to attend. They say it’s for a risk assessment.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
So Graham Newberry as just said that Britain Ice Skating is charging it’s skaters £300 per international event they wish to attend. They say it’s for a risk assessment.

They really know how to win friends and influence people.

They also know how to charge...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so I admit that I am stretching the "British & Irish Figure Skating" theme a bit in this post. But, it is related to the 2019-20 series of "Dancing On Ice", so I'm going ahead anyway.

Canadian Pairs skater Brianne Delcourt may or may not have got married to Irish footballer Kevin Kilbane.

They only got engaged in February, having met when they were partnered together on the most recent series of "Dancing On Ice" (I know, it doesn't make sense to me either why the producers of an Ice Dance show would choose a Pairs skater to be one of their "Professionals"). And she recently announced that she would be quitting the show after being on it since the 2010 series.

On Saturday, they both posted a photo of them kissing wearing wedding outfits, and her caption explained that they were supposed to be getting married in Ireland that day. But, because of the ongoing restrictions (Ireland is still being very strict on travel into and out of the country), that didn't happen.

Brianne's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvWAVOJQLu/

Kevin's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEvXRN9Hjw6/

I'll be honest, I don't know whether they have actually got married or not. The British press are reporting that they have. But the captions on their posts are not very clear. The way the captions are worded could be interpreted that they were just having a dress up on what was supposed to be their wedding day.

To further complicate matters, Brianne mentioned something about 9[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2020. So, did they manage to bring it forward and get married early? Or, is it a typo, and they have rearranged it for 9[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2021?

Either way, they look very deeply in love.

I wish them all the best!

CaroLiza_fan

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Brianne hails from across the Pond, so write dates the other way around, ie she means 4th September not 9th April. ;)

My interpretation of the posts is that Covid put paid to their planned wedding, so they wore the gear and drank the Champagne anyway. Fair play!

As to why ITV hired a pairs skater as a pro on an "ice dance" programme, "Dancing on Ice" is definitely not a pure ice dance competition. There's a lot more pair/adagio pair skating in it than actual ice dance. I find it annoyingly loud and down-market and the risks the pros take - especially the female pros - with their inexperienced partners, sets more than my teeth on edge, but it does more to promote the sport than the national association so...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Brianne hails from across the Pond, so write dates the other way around, ie she means 4th September not 9th April. ;)

That's true for the Americans. But the Canadians do dates the same way as us.

Unless she knows that the majority of her followers are American, and she is tailoring her posts for them. Seems a strange thing to do, but you never know. But, whatever the case, it would be simpler to just use the word. Avoid any confusion arising.

Anyway, thinking about it, it does make more sense that she meant 4[SUP]th[/SUP] September like you said. Why on Earth did I not twig?!

My interpretation of the posts is that Covid put paid to their planned wedding, so they wore the gear and drank the Champagne anyway. Fair play!

That was what I thought too. Hey, why not! :biggrin:

As to why ITV hired a pairs skater as a pro on an "ice dance" programme, "Dancing on Ice" is definitely not a pure ice dance competition. There's a lot more pair/adagio pair skating in it than actual ice dance. I find it annoyingly loud and down-market and the risks the pros take - especially the female pros - with their inexperienced partners, sets more than my teeth on edge, but it does more to promote the sport than the national association so...

Thank you for the explanation.

Personally, I have never felt the inclination to watch it. I know some people like to see people making eejits of themselves (especially "famous" people), but I am not like that. I prefer to see people who know what they are doing doing it properly.

Unfortunately, what you say about the programme promoting the sport better than the Fed is so true... :disapp:

Anyway, time for tea!

CaroLiza_fan

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Personally, I have never felt the inclination to watch it. I know some people like to see people making eejits of themselves (especially "famous" people), but I am not like that. I prefer to see people who know what they are doing doing it properly.

Absolutely with you on that! Unfortunately, however, people I see at the rink often want to know how to do things and whether or not certain moves are difficult. It helps if I have an idea of what <cough> rubbish <cough> they've been subjected to... :rolleye: And I can also destroy the argument that [insert z-list soap star] was definitely the best and didn't deserve to be kicked off with technical know-how if I've seen the relevant "celebrity" being carried around the rink by his or her partner rather than actually doing any skating!

But, yeah... <shudders>

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
On a different note, for those of us that can receive the Irish channels, "I, Tonya" will be shown on Wednesday night.

Wednesday 27[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2020
RTÉ1 21:35 – 23:45 BST "I, Tonya"

This is what I like about RTÉ. They somehow always manage to get films onto terrestrial TV a lot sooner than the British public service broadcasters (the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5) can.

CaroLiza_fan

And just to prove my point, the BBC will show "I, Tonya" TONIGHT.

Saturday 19th September 2020
BBC2 21:30 – 23:25 BST "I, Tonya"

Apologies for the late notice. I've been watching MotoGP all morning and only looked at the TV magazine there now.

And the latest developments in the Brianne Delcourt & Kevin Kilbane story...

They did get married, and the wedding is featured in OK magazine. (Story; Photos)

Oh, and we've got another "Dancing On Ice" baby on the way!!!

Here is Brianne's Instagram post where she announces both of these things:

Brianne's announcement

And here is Kevin's version:

Kevin's announcement

And if you want a better view of Brianne's bump, she made a video of it! Here it is:

Brianne's bump video

Congratulations, guys!

CaroLiza_fan