2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 192 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I know that some posters here whom I respect, like moriel, have made up their mind. I am still struggling. Medvedeva was kind of an idol for me. I was a big fan, I furiously defended her on this board, I was very sad when she did not win in Korea. But now... Things that she says sometimes just do not help me to be on her side. Why does she need to tell the whole world how she is happy now vs. what was before? I just don't get it.

"I am feeling absolutely comfortable and at home at the Cricket Club. I feel like I've been skating there for many years. I have a good relationship with absolutely everyone there. This is something I've dreamed about my whole life, to come to my workplace like to a family home. It is a very cozy environment. I want to go back there again and again. This environment motivates you to work more, because you don't want to leave the rink,” Evgenia shared. “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself.”

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-in-her-skating-and-her-life?templateParam=15

Sounds pretty matter of fact to me. It seems like you'd only be mollified of Medvedeva said glowing things about her old team.

Med can be wayyyy more petty if she wants to be. Girlfriend is at petty level 0.5 right now, all things considered.

Georgya

On the Ice
I think that at the moment she gave the interviews when still with eteri she was happy, it is also a factor that she didn't know anything else but eteri, the rink, the training. So naturally she couldn't really compare it to anything else. Now she can compare it. She doesn't even say anything bad about her old rink or her old team, just that her old ring was for her a place to work, , and compared to that that tcc feels like coming home to family. It's nothing bad, it is just a comparison. Which is natural , and which she is allowed to tell about.

I agree with your take!:agree: She was happy then with Eteri in Russia, she is a different kind of happy now in Canada :)

zounger

Medalist
Is $15,000 a normal price for a program from a top choreographer? I've always been curious of how much it typically costs to get programs choreographed.

I don't know the specifics. That was my rough estimation considering the expenses for two (or three) people to travel to the US or Canada for a week plus, probably a per hour, pay for the choreographer.

Georgya

On the Ice
Other skaters from Crystal rink like Sasha Trusova said before that Crystal rink is a competitive work place and that they aren't really close friends there. Evgenia's word are not that different from that.

I have a different take on this. Evgenia seems sociable enough to make friends with everybody. I think that the competitive work place from Crystal suited and helped her for a time, then she decided she needs something else :) I don't think they are not close friends at all at that ring, it just depends of the personality of that skater :)

Ulrica

On the Ice
I know that some posters here whom I respect, like moriel, have made up their mind. I am still struggling. Medvedeva was kind of an idol for me. I was a big fan, I furiously defended her on this board, I was very sad when she did not win in Korea. But now... Things that she says sometimes just do not help me to be on her side. Why does she need to tell the whole world how she is happy now vs. what was before? I just don't get it.

"I am feeling absolutely comfortable and at home at the Cricket Club. I feel like I've been skating there for many years. I have a good relationship with absolutely everyone there. This is something I've dreamed about my whole life, to come to my workplace like to a family home. It is a very cozy environment. I want to go back there again and again. This environment motivates you to work more, because you don't want to leave the rink,” Evgenia shared. “Before the rink was more like a work place for me. Sometimes it was though, the rink was associated with hard work, now the rink is associated with work that is enjoyable. You are doing everything for yourself.”

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-in-her-skating-and-her-life?templateParam=15

She is not saying anything negative, though, she is just stating that she feels better in her current situation, that doesn't mean she is implying Eteri's rink and team are "bad". And I'm sure there are skaters who feel at home and happy at Eteri's rink, Alina seems pretty comfortable and at home in there after all; different people will find different places and situations to work the best for them, it's just natural.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think ... Eteri uses Daniil because he know's how to do a program that benefits the skater ... maybe they don't have the best music cut ... but every eteri's skater owns the program ...

Look at Zhenya ... her SP last season didn't suit her ... but when she was with Eteri ... she own the programs even with voices and mimics

I think she keeps Daniil because she needed a stable choreographer in her group as pretty much all top russian coaches have, and because artistically they have similar tastes, he came from Averbukh's group, and apparently he learnt a lot from him and his mother.

She used to have other choreographers in her group like Viktor Adoniev (the guy who worked with Tsareva and Pogorilaya) but apparently they all left her because of how tough she is.

The other SP from Misha suited her well, the OCS may have suited somebody else but for Medvedeva it was completely out of place, a step to a completely wrong direction. That is also proof of my point, choreographer should know skater closely (character, strong and weak points) before making a program for her.

If you look at the mood Evgenia experienced that big change, living in Canada, her willing to learn something new, and the first two times she showed it at Test Skates and Autumn Classics i think OCS worked very well. The program itself was very sophisticated (far more than the tango free skate), a great package for a top skater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urWLxxfab4g

Problems appeared once she missed her jumps, and she started to lose confidence.

As even Misha Ge said in an interview i think 2-3 years from now Evgenia could return to that program and give it more justice, with all the changes she had to deal mentally and physically, she needed something more comfortable for her at that stage.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
How can her speaking the truth of her situation make you dislike her.

My problem is that "her truth" changes every now and then. But I don't feel like continue this particular discussion because it will quickly become the discussion of my and respectively your virtual personalities rather than figure skating.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
If you look at the mood Evgenia experienced that big change, living in Canada, her willing to learn something new, and the first two times she showed it at Test Skates and Autumn Classics i think OCS worked very well. The program itself was very sophisticated (far more than the tango free skate), a great package for a top skater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urWLxxfab4g

Problems appeared once she missed her jumps, and she started to lose confidence.

As even Misha Ge said in an interview i think 2-3 years from now Evgenia could return to that program and give it more justice, with all the changes she had to deal mentally and physically, she needed something more comfortable for her at that stage.

At those events it was more or less good skated more or less forgettable program (in this interpretation). It was too much too soon. As I say, choreographer/coach must know the skater, understand what she is capable of and what fits her. Excusable mistake to push it that time, for her good they realized that.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
To all who answered me, there are words and there is a context to those words. I cannot agree with both, sorry. As for the words, there was a documentary, there should be multiple cases of evidence where Zhenya if did not say directly but showed it clearly that Eteri was like a second mother to her. I remember her and Eteri in K&C, yes I do. Now it all had been just hard work without a desire to be on the rink and her "family" is TCC? Well, I don't like it. It's just my personal reaction - we all have the right to those?

As for the context, everything happened 15 months ago. We have a new season, a very special season for Russian ladies coming. At the beginning of it she is, well, not the favorite to be on the top, even her team prospects are vague. Why bring now the comparison how it was (when she was a double world champion) and how it is? Isn't it better to start these things only when she starts to win?

I am sorry to say it but I started to think that her Bejing 2022 ambition is quite real. The big question is with whom?

I am quite frank here and I won't change my mind on that. So that there is no need to discuss my words. But if someone has a different take on what Evgenija says and means, then welcome..

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
I have a different take on this. Evgenia seems sociable enough to make friends with everybody. I think that the competitive work place from Crystal suited and helped her for a time, then she decided she needs something else :) I don't think they are not close friends at all at that ring, it just depends of the personality of that skater :)

I’d think it would have been a pressure cooke just knowing that there are like 5 girls younger than you and ready to surpass you. It must be hard not to get down on yourself. But to be able to just focus on your own skating without that constant pressure may make things much more enjoyable.

I see how this comment could be construed as shade toward Eteri but it could also just be her true feelings and being happier in a new environment.

Fluture

Record Breaker

I‘d say good for her for being happy in her new environment. She‘s not saying everything was bad under Eteri, only that she now has found an approach that suits her better in the life she wants to live as the person she has become. People grow, they change and so do their expectations. It’s a natural process of life. I‘m sure Zhenya was happy with Eteri. She stayed there for 11 years. That she treated it as her work place isn‘t too surprising considering what kind of competition there is. But you can have friends at your work place, too and she did in Polina Tsurskaya and Anna Shcherbakova for example. Still, TCC is different in a way that there’s not so much direct competition but rather people that get their motivation from learning from each other and cheering each other on to become a better version of themselves, like Jason and Zhenya do. I‘m sure at some point Zhenya needed the intense competition. Now she‘s grown and realized it‘s not what works for her anymore. So when she saw that she needed something different after the Olympics, she left, had to deal with the adjustment period and everything being unfamiliar. Now she‘s a different kind of happy and that‘s good. I don‘t see her trying to make Eteri look bad at all. She‘s just being honest about her feelings.

andromache

Record Breaker
Evgenia is a teenager who has been through an immense amount of stress and change in her life over the past 5-6 years. She is entitled to change her mind on how she feels about situations and people. Many of us look back on previous situations and people and feel differently than we used to. It's totally normal. And I don't think it's at all malicious or nefarious.

Let skaters speak their mind and express their feelings without assuming everything they say is a personal attack on your faves.

This kind of discourse is exhausting.

5Axel

Rinkside

You can nothing but agree that Sambo-70 is way more competitive than TCSCC, where are no other top ladies since Gabby moved to Granite Club. I would also like to mention that North Americans are considered "more open" people .It's normal that she feels more relaxed (and perhaps happy) in TCSCC than in Sambo-70.[emoji6]
Zhenya is not a native speaker and still sometimes "searches" for words, maybe she didn't want to say what she actually said. The interview from ISU isn't a "normal" interview with questions and answers, so her words could have been easily misunderstood.

But if you doubt if you are still a Zhenya fan, have a look at these photos.
1) Zhenya, wearing a dress and a clutchbag from her fans
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz5orBvICt4/?igshid=16fe0r70iuf8z
2)My favourite photo - Zhenya in Saitama. It should be her profile pic IMO.[emoji3]
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdQbs1BjpO/?igshid=16ol2165xvfib

You can also read something about the "detective weekend " on Zhenya's FF. I'm sure you'll have fun.[emoji6]

Scott512

Record Breaker
Because they asked her? Because it is her right to say it. If she now really feels like cricket is her family than she can say it out loud, . What I also ask myself still to this day why a over fourth year old adult woman needs to drag the name of ex students through the mud. And zhenya didn't say that much for the entire year . While said adult said more than enough. . She described the rink at Russia that she saw it as a work place because I think that's is the mentality you have in Russia, that it is what you do work work and work where in Canada it is probably a more realxed atmosphere, international atmosphere too, she describes it as such. She describes the difference. But i think most of you probably don't want to understand or even think about the fact that this what was the right step for zhenya, mentally. The thing is also that someone recently told the press that apparently zhenya did indeed come to the rink with flowers but that eteri wasn't there at this time. If that is indeed true and I say if cause we do not know it , than the entire hell many gave zhenya for daring to not bring flowers was for nothing, including in this forum. Than another person may have lied to the press when stating that zhenya didn't bring flowers or at least did not say the entire truth. And that is all I will say about that cause no I do not have the nerve for another discussion of how I hate said trainer. No I do not hate or dislike eteri I just do not like some of the things she did, like dragging the name of her ex student who was her absolute favorite through the mud. Yes she may have been angry and as said many times by myself both sides were at fault, but for God's sake this is an adult woman who probably did know very well how this would get taken when she told the things she did to the press.

Don't be upset with Sam. He is Russian and he took whatever Zhenya said personally. To you and I all she said was how much she enjoys The Cricket Club and the atmosphere there. You and I are not bothered by what Zhenya said. But I can see how Sam and some Russians may interpret what Zhenya said in a different way and it stung them because the Russian and Eteris way is the most criticized way in figure skating. It's a different culture and a different world.

I don't think Evgenia meant to hurt anyone she used to work with for 11 years at sambo-70 and all the people that helped her there. I don't think she meant to get a dig in on them.

I also would like to find out from Sam what he thought when he heard Evgenia say last year her first season in Toronto was even more important than her Olympic year when she was a hero for Russia with her performance coming off a broken foot and more importantly meeting with Olympic organizers to help get Russia included in the Olympics in the first place. Her 2017-2018 season was incredible. Then for her to say her first year in Toronto was the more important year sort of caught me by surprise. But then with all the changes she's gone through and paving her own way and making her own calls for her career and life I I can understand what she said. It makes sense . But I would like to hear from Sam how he those comments from Zhenya. Thanks in advance Sam.

At the end of the day Zhenya will pave the way for other figure skaters to travel and live abroad while competing for Russia. I know Yagudin did this too. But some people melted down when Zhenya did it due to the modern-day world the internet and the crazy media.

I like others was disappointed when Zhenya left Sambo-70 and Eteri to live in train and Toronto. But looking at things again over a year later it was clearly the right move for her career and life. And if she's happy and we think she is then we should be happy for her.

Fabi I'm not sure what went on with the flowers. But a lot was made of it. I hope they can all mend fences someday if it's needed or even required. In my eyes both parties are doing well after the split up and that's a very good thing.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I understand what samkrut is trying to say. I have also sometimes confessed on her FF that it will probably be for the better if they (Zhenya and Brian) don't use the opportunity of every interview to imply how good her new environment is in comparison to her old skating school. I am interested to know what the differences in her trainings are, to hear that she's changed her diet but don't hide the resentment about the ex-coaching team behind superlatives for the new one. Back then I was absolutely rooting for her decision to move on and I am still supporting this decision. However, I do get sometimes the feeling that they try to keep her relevant on the media by keep telling the same story. But this really has more to do with Evgenia the public persona and not with the skater. I still love her skating and am more than happy to see her improving in some areas.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Interestingly, on the FFKKR roster, Medvyedeva is still listed as belonging to Sambo-70's administration: https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html.

What does this mean in practice? Will some Sambo-70 official have to sign off her financial declarations, medical papers and such?

Does she have/will she get a plaque on the Wall of Honour inside Sambo-70's main corridor?

SkateSkates

Medalist
Interestingly, on the FFKKR roster, Medvyedeva is still listed as belonging to Sambo-70's administration: https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html.

What does this mean in practice? Will some Sambo-70 official have to sign off her financial declarations, medical papers and such?

Does she have/will she get a plaque on the Wall of Honour inside Sambo-70's main corridor?

I was wondering about this as well - I wonder if she has some sort of contract with them? Since we know she was training at CSKA when she was in Moscow after nationals. I thought she might switch but there must be a reason why she can’t.

5Axel

Rinkside

Even though Zhenya trains in Toronto, she still represents Sambo-70, not TCC [emoji6]

I would just like to take this moment to raise the point that Evgenia was not meaning to cause offence. It is evident from other interviews and documentaries that her old rink is a very high stress and competitive environment. There is no shame in admitting she sees TCC as a family home that she wants to be at. Different skaters work well with different skating teams. Let’s not forget the videos of her crying during training at her old work place. That is no shade whatsoever to Eteri or her team because that pressure worked to motivate her, but she has grown up and as such started to take in more of her surroundings. I think she simply decided what was right for her. Just like some of us must have changed career paths at some point in our lives. Just because you really love something new and it’s making you happy, it doesn’t mean the old thing didn’t once make you happy and was once the right thing for you. :)

Edit:
‘Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’ - Einstein

Scott512

Record Breaker
Evgenia is a teenager who has been through an immense amount of stress and change in her life over the past 5-6 years. She is entitled to change her mind on how she feels about situations and people. Many of us look back on previous situations and people and feel differently than we used to. It's totally normal. And I don't think it's at all malicious or nefarious.

Let skaters speak their mind and express their feelings without assuming everything they say is a personal attack on your faves.

This kind of discourse is exhausting.

What you wrote is very accurate. Interesting too.