2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 450 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
She now has a triple axel and is certainly the most talented Russian girl to swap federation and considering the state of Russia's olympic hopefuls they may regret loosing her.

With the current crop of juniors from different schools they won't.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Shabotova beat Daria Usacheva, Maya Khromykh and Frolova last season handily. Her scoring only tanks after the comment before that she and Frolova were the only two able to challenge the Eteri girls and she was the more talented one out of the pair of them. She now has a triple axel and is certainly the most talented Russian girl to swap federation and considering the state of Russia's olympic hopefuls they may regret loosing her.

Wait, am I missing something? What is wrong with the state of Russia's Olympic hopefuls? Of course, you can't predict anything, but with the 6 heavy hitters in seniors, plus Valieva, and other extremely strong prospects like Kanysheva, Sinitsyna, Usacheva, etc etc, where is Russia lacking?

I do agree that it was strange to transfer right before debuting a triple axel though. And in hindsight, Russia definitely could've used the triple axel on the JGP. In fact, depending on how consistent her 3A was, Shabatova could've been a break-out star on the JGP. But in terms of Olympic hopefuls, I don't think Russia has any concerns right now.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Shabotova wasn’t a victim of underscoring after those comments - she just didn’t skate well in the 2nd half of the season. That said, maybe her comments and the increased scrutiny on her had an effect on her mental game and caused her to make mistakes, but she still made many mistakes.

The one event she did well in after her scandal was the Moscow championship where she was in position to qualify for younger age nationals but she withdrew before the LP due to illness.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think she's going to miss the 2019/20 season since she never competed for Russia as a national team member, and 12 month "quarantine" applies to those athletes only, if I remember correctly.

She was released because she, her parents and her coach decided she didn't have a chance to get into the Russian national team with her low scores. And the application was approved unanimously. Don't think her stupid remark had any effect on that decision.

ISU mandated quarantine period is 12 months; but it doesn't apply in her case.

So technically she's a Ukrainian skater now, and doesn't belong in this thread :biggrin:

She deserves to be in this thread just as much as Alysa does! ;) But I get your point. I hope she does okay in a new country and the competition is so rough in Russia for the girls and ladies that many more are going to have to representing other countries in the future. It's a numbers game jazz it's a numbers game.

moriel

Record Breaker
Wait, am I missing something? What is wrong with the state of Russia's Olympic hopefuls? Of course, you can't predict anything, but with the 6 heavy hitters in seniors, plus Valieva, and other extremely strong prospects like Kanysheva, Sinitsyna, Usacheva, etc etc, where is Russia lacking?

I do agree that it was strange to transfer right before debuting a triple axel though. And in hindsight, Russia definitely could've used the triple axel on the JGP. In fact, depending on how consistent her 3A was, Shabatova could've been a break-out star on the JGP. But in terms of Olympic hopefuls, I don't think Russia has any concerns right now.

I'm pretty sure that her 3A is same state as Kurakova's quad - nowhere near competition ready.
Because 1, kind of don't see Russia releasing someone who can challenge their top skaters
And 2, Russia offers one of the best fundings for their top skaters. I find implausible that someone who could challenge any of the Russia current tops would switch feds.
Just not worth it.

Likely, they see her scoring potential as 170-180, and that is pretty much where all 18 girls at rusnats are, if not better, so whynot.

NaVi

Medalist
I'm pretty sure that her 3A is same state as Kurakova's quad - nowhere near competition ready.

Spectators said she did two of them before her LP... I'm sure it's further along than Kurakova's quad. Kogan already said that she hadn't shown that ability when she asked for her release.

Ksenia Sinitsyna said after her JGP that she has a 3A she wants to put in her program.

hanca

Record Breaker
Spectators said she did two of them before her LP... I'm sure it's further along than Kurakova's quad. Kogan already said that she hadn't shown that ability when she asked for her release.

Ksenia Sinitsyna said after her JGP that she has a 3A she wants to put in her program.

Many people seem to have those jumps, but not many can do it well enough to risk to put it in. For example, Kostornaya has shown triple axel 18 months ago and hasn’t used it in competition yet. Liza Tuktamysheva was promising her triple axel since she was 12, and yet we had to wait for it for about 6 years. Guliakova also had triple axel; where is it now?
And when someone competes in Russian ladies category, they often don’t get a second chance if they mess up. For example, on junior level, one year even a second place at JGP didn’t guarantee that the skater get a second event! My point is, all those skaters saying that they are woking on their quads, that they nearly have it etc, I will believe when I see it in competition. Not just on YouTube link where the skater could have many, many attempts and one of those hundred attempts worked out.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Because 1, kind of don't see Russia releasing someone who can challenge their top skaters
And 2, Russia offers one of the best fundings for their top skaters. I find implausible that someone who could challenge any of the Russia current tops would switch feds.
Just not worth it.

Likely, they see her scoring potential as 170-180, and that is pretty much where all 18 girls at rusnats are, if not better, so whynot.

I definitely see your point, but I was just going from the fact that she landed one at Ukrainian test skates, which is similar to a competition environment. Of course, that doesn't mean that she has it consistently, but I wouldn't say that its at the same stage as Kurakova's quad, because she's actually landed it in a routine under pressure. But I do agree that Russia has so much depth that it doesn't really matter to them to lose someone like Shabatova. I just thought that maybe she could've done well on the JGP had she been allowed to compete. But hopefully for her skate she will do well next year.

Amei

Record Breaker
Many people seem to have those jumps, but not many can do it well enough to risk to put it in. For example, Kostornaya has shown triple axel 18 months ago and hasn’t used it in competition yet. Liza Tuktamysheva was promising her triple axel since she was 12, and yet we had to wait for it for about 6 years. Guliakova also had triple axel; where is it now?
And when someone competes in Russian ladies category, they often don’t get a second chance if they mess up. For example, on junior level, one year even a second place at JGP didn’t guarantee that the skater get a second event! My point is, all those skaters saying that they are woking on their quads, that they nearly have it etc, I will believe when I see it in competition. Not just on YouTube link where the skater could have many, many attempts and one of those hundred attempts worked out.

I believe she's said in an interview that whenever she starts training the triple axel again is when little injuries pop up for her.

My threshold on 'having jumps' is when you start to do them as planned content in your competition programs, that's what counts in the record books, not practice.

Ostap Bender

Rinkside
I think that they did release her and she represents Ukraine now. I am pretty sure she was at Ukrainian test skates and she landed a triple axel in the warm ups. I might be wrong though.

You're right. Shabotova was released by Moscow FS Federation immediately upon her request, like in 24 hrs. She officially represents Ukraine, already performed in Kiev at the local Test Skate. She will still live in Moscow and Train with Panova at the "Snow Leopards" Club.
Here is the video of her Test Skate in Kiev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81Pl6IybeQ

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

Kurakova was also in an interview saying she has the triple axel. Her 2a is so small and line drive that I just don't believe that. I worked on 2a's and I had more height and clearance. I didn't know she was also working on a quad???!?!??! What. The. Buck???? On what? Her toe and sal are both small. Well, ALL of her jumps are small. I love her performances so much, and instead of 3a or quad this, just skate CLEAN. She is like this undiscovered miracle, and Poland won her. I am very happy for Poland!!! A wonderful skater, since Zuzanna Szwed.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Kurakova was also in an interview saying she has the triple axel. Her 2a is so small and line drive that I just don't believe that. I worked on 2a's and I had more height and clearance. I didn't know she was also working on a quad???!?!??! What. The. Buck???? On what? Her toe and sal are both small. Well, ALL of her jumps are small. I love her performances so much, and instead of 3a or quad this, just skate CLEAN. She is like this undiscovered miracle, and Poland won her. I am very happy for Poland!!! A wonderful skater, since Zuzanna Szwed.

I think I remember a video floating around of her doing a quad from a few years back, maybe UR.
And yes, she is delightful and I'm glad she doesn't skate for Russia because she would never out of the country and we wouldn't get to see her beautiful skating.

Azikin

Medalist
Shabotova beat Daria Usacheva, Maya Khromykh and Frolova last season handily. Her scoring only tanks after the comment before that she and Frolova were the only two able to challenge the Eteri girls and she was the more talented one out of the pair of them. She now has a triple axel and is certainly the most talented Russian girl to swap federation and considering the state of Russia's olympic hopefuls they may regret loosing her.

Certainly is quite a strong word. Safonova is quite talented, too. And certainly capable of beating Shabotova.. ;)

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Hmm. Very weak field. And that would be Sofia's third Challenger. We are running out of competitions for the likes of Gubanova etc to have a chance at a good SB...

I never understand RusFed's strategy for assigning Challengers. What is the point of Sofia having three? If anyone should get three, it should be Gubanova, a national team member with no GPs. There are still three left though, but idk if they'll send anyone to the Asian Open. hopefully Gubanova gets two at least, because its hard to have only one shot at getting on the SB list. Then they need to give at least one to Tarakanova, maybe Vasilieva (although she already has a nice high score and might get to go to JGPF), and Tarusina. And then there are so many girls who could do with the remaining spots. Nugumanova, Guliakova, that girl who just won COR stage I (forgot her name sorry), Talalaikina, etc.

Scott512

Record Breaker
OMG Gubanova is there!!

I never understand RusFed's strategy for assigning Challengers. What is the point of Sofia having three? If anyone should get three, it should be Gubanova, a national team member with no GPs. There are still three left though, but idk if they'll send anyone to the Asian Open. hopefully Gubanova gets two at least, because its hard to have only one shot at getting on the SB list. Then they need to give at least one to Tarakanova, maybe Vasilieva (although she already has a nice high score and might get to go to JGPF), and Tarusina. And then there are so many girls who could do with the remaining spots. Nugumanova, Guliakova, that girl who just won COR stage I (forgot her name sorry), Talalaikina, etc.
It's ridiculous that a skater that has two grand prix events also has three challengers. SMH. Did 3a get 3 challengers in addition to two grand prix events? No.

I think we know being a national team member reserve means absolutely nothing. It was absolutely pointless to even put Nastya in that position and then pass her over for everything. Hoping Nastya can get 2 challengers but I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't.

It's going to be a very exciting season that's for sure. with a lot of ups a few downs and a lot of controversies no doubt. Hold on to your hats. ;)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden

Russia has never sent any Ladies to Asian Open. Then it's only two Challengers left. And "Gubanova's Gang" is around 9-10 skaters. Not enough spots left...
Maybe RusFed don't want any more Ladies in the SB list? It's crowded as it is already and there is still Sakhanovich, Kostornaia and Zagitova yet to skate.