2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 107 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Ting just shared she re-injured her right ankle and is WD from her Grand Prix events :cry:

what bad luck in her first senior season.

Oh no!!! This is quite awful :sad21: I hope she heals super quickly, but Ting stop skating on it if it’s injured, just rest!! :agree:

Does this also mean she won’t be able to compete at nationals unless she’s better by sectionals? :(

macy

Record Breaker
Oh no!!! This is quite awful :sad21: I hope she heals super quickly, but Ting stop skating on it if it’s injured, just rest!! :agree:

Does this also mean she won’t be able to compete at nationals unless she’s better by sectionals? :(

i believe she has a bye due to her placement at last year's nationals.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She's been known to mention this: Toller Cranston, Jason Brown, Donovan Carillo, and others if I'm not mistaken. All :agree: skaters.

Sorry @elhenry, I swept in here for you. ;)

Thank you @IceRabbit, you know me too well;)

And for the young’uns, my avatar (at least at the time of writing this) is a young Toller. Someone whose charisma made many, including me, skating fans.

Now back to the US ladies :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ting just shared she re-injured her right ankle and is withdrawing from her Grand Prix events :cry:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3ZwY4CnL3q/

what bad luck in her first senior season.

Terrible news. :sad4:
Wishing Ting well on her road to recovery. :ghug:

Among the many supportive replies to Ting from fellow skaters is this one from graciegold95:

the comeback is always stronger than the setback ♥️

macy

Record Breaker
Terrible news. :sad4:
Wishing Ting well on her road to recovery. :ghug:

Among the many supportive replies to Ting from fellow skaters is this one from graciegold95:

the comeback is always stronger than the setback ♥️

a true queen

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Alissa live in a show and her skating was really boring and, as you say, VERY slow, as well as really tentative, and she wasn't keeping up in the group numbers well at all.

Well, I had the opposite experience. I saw her in SOI 2010 when she must have been healthy, or relatively well recovered. The magic of Alissa's skating was quite evident, there's a lot of ethereal power in it. I had the feeling of emotional uplift and beauty; she really connected with the audience. She and Sasha Cohen did a beautiful duet that highlighted the incredible presentation, grace, elegance, extension and precision both skaters have. Granted, those qualities aren't equal to jumps in competition.

for anyone interested, here's a fancam of the number. It's Sasha-focused, but Alissa matched every move of Sasha's in the show I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF0NpAwIQg

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TV doesn't do skaters justice...emotion doesn't translate like it does in real life. she really is a powerful skater.

I agree with you (and many others) about Bradie, having seen her in person at nationals. It's her power, and in person she does have that "je ne sais quois" quality, which I really can't describe. It's not exactly charisma, it's isn't expression exactly. But it is something. I wish she'd lose the sister wife hairdo.

However, I find that emotion can transfer very well, even exquisitely, through the camera. Michelle Kwan, for one ... I saw her in person on an "off" night for her probably, and I was in the nosebleed section, and it was a disappointment, because I, like most, am a huge fan of hers. I think she's one of many who are able to project emotion through the camera as well as they do in the arena. But I do find that once I've seen a skater in person and experienced an impact, I can "get" that same feeling every time I watch one of their skates on video. (Ashley Wagner.) I found Meryl & Charlie's (for one example) just as engaging either way, in fact I was their fan from 2010 and didn't see them live till 2013.

And, to explore the idea further, I get exactly the same thrill and impact from Manta/Johnson's Sweet Dreams fs from 2019 nationals, and from the video, which I often re-watch. Even though I was on the opposite side of the arena from their faces during the spectacular character choreo. It's fascinating, how much can be communicated through movement, or facial expression, or through simple skill.

Casual

On the Ice
That's exactly what happened with Ashley Wagner, at least since 2015, when I began frequenting this forum. And to tell the truth, not nearly as many people leapt to Ashley's defense as leap to Gracie's. But when one is emotionally invested, the picking apart and mean comments are painful. And the supportive voices are generally quieter. It's not right, but there it is.

The reason it happened to Ashley was bad blood due to her being picked for Olympics instead of a (seemingly more deserving) and/or more sympathetic candidate. Fans can forgive anything except blatant injustice. It's not right, but aftertaste lingers.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Forgot that I wanted to add my two cents to this line of discussion:

… I agree that some skaters have an intangible connection with the audience. ...

Will note that individual fans could have differing opinions as to who the "some skaters" in this category are.

And that over time, an individual fan (myself being a sample of one :yes:) could have a changing opinion as to whether a particular skater is making an intangible connection.
(Whether the "loss" of an intangible connection that I used to feel, or whether the new growth of an intangible connection with a long-familiar skater who previously had not given me that feeling.)

No matter how many times someone like skatergurl7 states her/his opinions about who does or does not have the "it" factor, star quality, or je ne sais quoi, they are subjective assessments. Not universal truths.
Nor do I agree with skatergurl7's opinion that a skater either has it or does not -- with no possibility of change.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason it happened to Ashley was bad blood due to her being picked for Olympics instead of a (seemingly more deserving) and/or more sympathetic candidate.

I don't think that Mirai was more deserving, but in that case she was probably more sympathetic to many people. Again, there's subjectivity here.

Casual

On the Ice
I appreciate bradie’s hard work on artistry, she seems very dedicated. But sometimes you just don’t have that IT factor that other people like Sasha Cohen innately have. And that’s not going to change by working harder, either you have star quality or you don’t unfortunately for bradie.

I have to agree that Bradie does not have the innate "it", mainly because she has ZERO inborn artistry. Watching her skate used to be like listening to a tone deaf musician.

However, I admire Bradie's efforts to develop her artistry. Hard work will never turn a naturally tone deaf boy into a Mozart, but it might let him develop his musicality, and become a proficient musician.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Forgot that I wanted to add my two cents to this line of discussion:

No matter how many times someone like skatergurl7 states her/his opinions about who does or does not have the "it" factor, star quality, or je ne sais quoi, they are subjective assessments. Not universal truths.
Nor do I agree with skatergurl7's opinion that a skater either has it or does not -- with no possibility of change.

Never said it wasn’t subjective, I totally agree it is. Some people have different preferences. I for one don’t find Bradie that engaging whatsoever and while I appreciate her hard work trying to improve PCS, I don’t think one can ever acquire that inherent standout quality in my opinion. That’s why it’s rare to find a natural gifted performer, which is why MK and Sasha Cohen were generally well-appraised.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, I had the opposite experience. I saw her in SOI 2010 when she must have been healthy, or relatively well recovered. The magic of Alissa's skating was quite evident, there's a lot of ethereal power in it. I had the feeling of emotional uplift and beauty; she really connected with the audience. She and Sasha Cohen did a beautiful duet that highlighted the incredible presentation, grace, elegance, extension and precision both skaters have. Granted, those qualities aren't equal to jumps in competition.

for anyone interested, here's a fancam of the number. It's Sasha-focused, but Alissa matched every move of Sasha's in the show I saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGF0NpAwIQg
I saw Alissa at Skate Canada in 2010. She was light, beautiful, and had the best spins since Lucinda Ruh. She was a delight.

macy

Record Breaker
I don't think that Mirai was more deserving, but in that case she was probably more sympathetic to many people. Again, there's subjectivity here.

lets not open this can of worms (again). besides, Ashley didn't pick herself for the team- bottom line is those who were angry should have taken it out on who was actually responsible- USFSA. but that's a far cry since the athlete is always an easier target.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
lets not open this can of worms (again). besides, Ashley didn't pick herself for the team- bottom line is those who were angry should have taken it out on who was actually responsible- USFSA. but that's a far cry since the athlete is always an easier target.

You're right. I almost added "not to start an argument" to my post, but I tried for once to keep it short!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I finally watched the short program from Egna,Italy. Isabelle Inthisone's short program is great. I think she is special. :thumbsup:

:thank: Jeanie, I finally watched both her programs, and now I have a new co-favorite US lady in juniors. I think her musical choices are my favorite sp+fs I've seen this year. Even better, Isabelle puts her heart and soul into her skating. Her smile pulls everything together: the music, the choreo, the performance, the skill. The heart.:love: :luv17: :love: