2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 108 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank: Jeanie, I finally watched both her programs, and now I have a new co-favorite US lady in juniors. I think her musical choices are my favorite sp+fs I've seen this year. Even better, Isabelle puts her heart and soul into her skating. Her smile pulls everything together: the music, the choreo, the performance, the skill. The heart.:love: :luv17: :love:

I can't wait to see her skate again. She really is special. :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have to agree that Bradie does not have the innate "it", mainly because she has ZERO inborn artistry. Watching her skate used to be like listening to a tone deaf musician.

However, I admire Bradie's efforts to develop her artistry. Hard work will never turn a naturally tone deaf boy into a Mozart, but it might let him develop his musicality, and become a proficient musician.

I like this comment. I see Bradie improving with every outing. I also trust her under pressure. She rarely delivers a bad program and that says a lot about her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Alissa at Skate Canada in 2010. She was light, beautiful, and had the best spins since Lucinda Ruh. She was a delight.

Alissa was the 2009 US Champion, but dropped to 10th at 2010 Nationals. She won the US championship back in 2011; SC 2010 was the fall preceding Alissa's return as US Champion. She was 5th at Worlds 2011, then the following year she finished 2nd to Ashley Wagner at the 2012 US Championships, and just after that, she suffered the hip injury that caused her to drop to 22nd at Worlds. She tried to return to competition after her first hip surgery, but at a summer event she fell on the ice and couldn't get up. Alissa went on to have her second surgery and could no longer skate competitively.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alissa was the 2009 US Champion, but dropped to 10th at 2010 Nationals. She won the US championship back in 2011; SC 2010 was the fall preceding Alissa's return as US Champion. She was 5th at Worlds 2011, then the following year she finished 2nd to Ashley Wagner at the 2012 US Championships, and just after that, she suffered the hip injury that caused her to drop to 22nd at Worlds. She tried to return to competition after her first hip surgery, but at a summer event she fell on the ice and couldn't get up. Alissa went on to have her second surgery and could no longer skate competitively.

Exactly.....

Shani

On the Ice
As an athlete its not your right, your country nominated you at an international event as their representative so it is they who will withdraw your entry.

SkateSkates

Medalist
I wouldn’t be surprised if they were trying to negotiate Ting’s spots to other American athletes with the host feds before she officially withdrew. Her announcing it might have messed up any of these conversations.

i.e. Starr only has NHK so she could be assigned to IDF.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's great to see Rachael Flatt's update on her life. I've always wondered why someone would opt for a Masters and PhD in Psychology rather than become an MD Psychiatrist?

Because they’re different things. Psychiatrists dispense medication. Psychologist can’t dispense meds, but can do therapy in a clinical setting, can do intelligence testing, could teach, etc. Psychiatrists are in very short supply.

Good for Rachel. I always liked her.

natsulian

Final Flight
I want Amber to get a second one and Starr as well. Grand Prix spots are very valuable and both ladies seem to be on an upward trend, so one more for each will only add to the experience and opportunity. Best of luck to Ting and wishing her good health.

buggs95

Spectator
Are we clear on which Emily Zhang this is? There were two. Last year one was in juniors and the other was in novice. One went to skate for China and the other is still skates for the US.

The novice Emily Zhang was 9th.

It’s the Emily that competed in Junior last year. My daughter is friends with her, so I’m sure.

natsulian

Final Flight
So Emily must have chosen to no longer skate for China since she is not on the National team and ceased going to the qualifying/inter-club competitions.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Because they’re different things. Psychiatrists dispense medication. Psychologist can’t dispense meds, but can do therapy in a clinical setting, can do intelligence testing, could teach, etc. Psychiatrists are in very short supply.

Good for Rachel. I always liked her.

Psychologists actually can provide medication (with limits) in certain states. But really its not cost effective for most people to meet regularly with a psychiatrist for therapy so psychiatrists tend to focus on medication and psychologists focus on talk therapy. It depends what kind of intervention you want to focus on delivering. The training will also reflect these different focuses as psychiatrists must learn the whole body and focus on medicine where as psychologists - depending on the type - typically have more training in psychotherapy.

natsulian

Final Flight
An article on Amber Glenn prior to Skate America --> https://t.co/98wqg30VMo?amp=1

"Move on to the future. Look forward. Never look back. And if you do look back, look at it as a lesson learned"

Glenn says her main goal is to break the 200 barrier and skate more consistently with better artistry. Best of luck.

frida80

Record Breaker
So Emily must have chosen to no longer skate for China since she is not on the National team and ceased going to the qualifying/inter-club competitions.

This fence straddling will be the end of me.

USFS would probably love to put her on the ISP but can’t because her intentions aren’t clear. It’s not to often than someone can land a +3Lo combo clean. Her score was really good as well. It’s not fair to China either, since they are recruiting in earnest to have a strong team for the Olympics. I know it has to be hard decision, but she has to make one so so the federations can proceed and she can progress with her international career.

frida80

Record Breaker
It's great to see Rachael Flatt's update on her life. I've always wondered why someone would opt for a Masters and PhD in Psychology rather than become an MD Psychiatrist?

Less required years of education. It may be a state school, but it gets expensive. I think a Ph.D it would be far more impactful for understanding how to address eating disorders in sports. I hope she publishes something soon.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold is back! Congrats to her at Regionals. So happy to see her in many ways but it was so bittersweet too. I wanted her to do well and though after a year and a half of trainign she would be Gracie of Old but she has changed and maybe needs yet more time. I was so happy to see her compete but sad because it wasn't the same Gracie and this one no longer has the speed, the power, the flow or the confidence. I know it takes time but still. And her freeskate - oh for goodness sake get rid of that music.. Such bad irony. It almost broke my heart to see her a shell of her former self. Even Evgenia pulled herself together better comparatively ditto for Gabby Daleman. Not to be mean but everything was so much harder spins, jumps, skating skills. I give her credit for trying but the music seemed kind of ironic. When you skate to a song that is suppose to be kind of like a happy ending after coming from struggle ie Mirai's Winner takes it all - then you want a skate to match. If it falls very flat ie pops, slower skating etc. it is kind of ironic because though we hope nope, Gracie though we want it you are so far from yourself. I know we should like you for you though. I feel cheated Vincent's post. In fact at this event her skating was much more labored,the spinsnot of the quality of yesteryear and her jumps were downgraded and did not have the power and flow. You just have to hope things will change but a part of me says that doesn't look good right now.