2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
Congratulations to Isabelle-Her SP was very nice-had some great moments. I wonder who will make it to Junior Worlds? I think Isabelle has a good shot. Hanna as well if she does well at Nationals. Who else is in the picture? (Alysa is obviously a lock, so we are talking about two slots).

katymay

Medalist
Funny how different perceptions are - I’ve seen a couple of different fancams, and I thought she looked quite fast in places. She did seem to tire towards the end, which worries me for the FS.

Agree. But what is missing is the sophistication and transitions that seniors have now, (Even young seniors/juniors, like Alysa) and really didn't have back when she was competing. Her basic speed is pretty good though, it's just that the game has changed. The irony is there are some past skaters-like Alissa Czisney- would fit into today's scheme very well. (Also Sasha Cohen)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Any updates on Bradie? The only video I’ve seen is her getting out of trusova’s way as trusova did a quad on practice at Japan Open. I feel that Bradie can do well enough this season, and I wonder what she has in store.

macy

Record Breaker
Very happy for Gracie today. It takes a lot of guts to do what she has so far and she has very obviously made leaps and bounds since Rostelecom a year ago. Once she gets her competitive legs back under her, she will be one to watch again. Keeping my fingers crossed and sending positive vibes for the long tomorrow.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I see Hanna as a lock for JW if she's relatively healthy. Even if she doesn't compete well internationally before then, none of the others are competing well (relative to their competitors) either, and Hanna has more international clout than them all, too.

I'm thinking about the 3rd spot and I'm upset that Calista doesn't have 3-3 and splits her focus between two disciplines. I think there's so much untapped potential there. Of course it takes hard work, but I could really imagine her Blossoming at some point. Hopefully it can still happen.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Any word on Polina? With all the talk of Gracie, we seem to have forgotten she also competed in a summer event and seems to be flirting with a comeback? Is she signed up? Do we know anything?

Re Polina:

Does she have an NQS bye to Pacific Coast sectionals??
Here's why I think maybe(?) so:
Top six per section from NQS get byes to sectionals.
Although Polina is #10 in NQS standings for Pacific section, others above her already have byes (for other reasons) to Nats or sectionals.
For the purpose of counting NQS byes, do those who already have byes for other reasons get disregarded?

Final NQS standings for Senior Ladies in Pacific section:
1. Alysa Liu -- bye to Nats for reigning U.S. champion
2. Karen Chen -- bye to Nats b/c she has two GPs
3. Alex Evans
4. Milly Murdock -- bye to sectionals b/c of int'l assignment (which does not need to conflict with regionals)
5. Caitlin Ha
6. Sierra Venetta
7. Lily Sun
8. Brynne McIsaac -- if(?) she is focusing only(?) on Pairs, then maybe(?) she will no longer compete in Ladies?
9. Akari Nakahara -- if(?) USFS counts Philadelphia Int'l as an int'l assignment (and I think it should), then she already would have a bye to sectionals
10. Polina Edmunds
11. Chelsea Mischuk​

ETA (on Oct 6):

Still seems possible to me that Polina will have an NQS bye to sectionals.

But I added a new post on this topic today, partly because I was wrong about Milly -- she does not have a bye to sectionals in Senior Ladies.

I also had forgotten that Alex Evans competed in Junior Ladies at U.S. Challenge Skate, which perhaps introduces some uncertainty as to whether she will use her bye in Senior Ladies??​

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Agree. But what is missing is the sophistication and transitions that seniors have now, (Even young seniors/juniors, like Alysa) and really didn't have back when she was competing. Her basic speed is pretty good though, it's just that the game has changed. The irony is there are some past skaters-like Alissa Czisney- would fit into today's scheme very well. (Also Sasha Cohen)

Hm yeah I guess it depends what we’re benchmarking this performance against. She’s wildly improved from rostelecom last year, but honestly is not in contention for nationals let alone international competitions anymore. Even if she was in her prime now, skating has only advanced and gotten more technical. It’s going to be difficult for her to even get to where she was before, then she’ll have to up the tech and transitions to compete against the likes of alysa (domestic) and the Russians.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Hm yeah I guess it depends what we’re benchmarking this performance against. She’s wildly improved from rostelecom last year, but honestly is not in contention for nationals let alone international competitions anymore. Even if she was in her prime now, skating has only advanced and gotten more technical. It’s going to be difficult for her to even get to where she was before, then she’ll have to up the tech and transitions to compete against the likes of alysa (domestic) and the Russians.
this is her 1st competition in over a year, do you realy expect her to be clean as a whistle? If she can get consistent even with just her old layout (3Lz-3T/2A-3T) she can be competitive.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
this is her 1st competition in over a year, do you realy expect her to be clean as a whistle? If she can get consistent even with just her old layout (3Lz-3T/2A-3T) she can be competitive.

Just looking at her overall skating clean or not she’s got a lot to work on to be competitive even in the US. Being realistic here, it will take time but I hope she can do it

KatGrace1925

Medalist
How many skaters have actually comeback successfully after a large amount of time away? It takes a lot of work to get everything back, but I feel like if she keeps making progress Gracie has a good chance of being able to do it. It's not like the US is that competitive right now. Sure we have Alysa but other than Alysa the US is currently not a dominate or competitive force in the women's discipline.

KatGrace1925

Medalist

I wouldn't use "sophisticated" as a word to describe the current popular style of cramming in as many moves as possible into skating. Most of the top skaters today lack nuance, there really isn't room for much artistry anymore. The name of the game is checking off bullets not doing anything sophisticated and interesting.

readernick

Medalist
Just looking at her overall skating clean or not she’s got a lot to work on to be competitive even in the US. Being realistic here, it will take time but I hope she can do it

Honestly, she doesn't need to complete against Alysa this year. But, she does need to compete against Ting, Mariah, and Bradie. We don't know how Bradie is going after her injury but if it anything similar to last year those three are way ahead . Even Star Andrews is ahead. However, she still has a lot of natural talent and several months

Ziotic

Medalist
How many skaters have actually comeback successfully after a large amount of time away? It takes a lot of work to get everything back, but I feel like if she keeps making progress Gracie has a good chance of being able to do it. It's not like the US is that competitive right now. Sure we have Alysa but other than Alysa the US is currently not a dominate or competitive force in the women's discipline.
Not an American, but Keatlyn Osmond was off for a long time with an injury, a whole season without training and then had to relearn all her jumps.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I swear I just saw Mirai sitting with Bradie at the Japan Open. Is Mirai coming back as well?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I swear I just saw Mirai sitting with Bradie at the Japan Open. Is Mirai coming back as well?

No. It’s just for fun.

In case mrrice is not aware:
Japan Open prize money for each team is divided among all members of the team. A nice paycheck, even for members of the team in third place.​

So it's not quite "just for fun," I would say. To be clear: I am by no means saying anything negative about Mirai. I'm happy for her to have the opportunity to earn some money at Japan Open. :cool:

She just had major surgery on her hip and is still recovering. She just started to do her flip and lutz just a few months ago. I think we need to give her more time and space.

:agree: Totally agree about giving her more time and space.

mrrice

Record Breaker
In case mrrice is not aware:
Japan Open prize money for each team is divided among all members of the team. A nice paycheck, even for members of the team in third place.​

So it's not quite "just for fun," I would say. To be clear: I am by no means saying anything negative about Mirai. I'm happy for her to have the opportunity to earn some money at Japan Open. :cool:

:agree: Totally agree about giving her more time and space.

:thank: You always come through for us.