2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019 Canadian Nationals Senior Women Free Skate

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to Chartrand! What a good result for her after the disaster of last season.
Well, if Canadian fed want to have a chance to get two spots they should send Daleman. Otherwise they can end with only one lady at their worlds. And that won't necessary be Osmond if she come back. Remember that an healthy Daleman beat her last year with two perfect programs. So it can be a battle between Osmond-Daleman(healthy)-Chartrand(if she keep improving) for just one spot.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I just watched Gabby‘s skate. It was heartbreaking to see her cry in the K&C. But... considering all things, it wasn‘t as bad. Her SP was very good and even though she had lots of troubles in the FS, this was her first competition after being out for so long. For that, she did well.

I was very surprised to see her have such a low score, though. And I might have not watched closely enough but I only counted 3 falls but she got 4 points deduction. The 2A-3T wasn‘t a fall to me. The 3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A in the beginning were nice too. I mean; yes, it was a bad skate but this is Nationals... do they have to lower her confidence even further? They could have easily given her a few points more in the technical score and PCS too... I know I‘m ranting but this seems unfair and I worry for Gabby. I know this was just about getting out there but this must have been quite a blow to her confidence.

Alaine deserved the win, though, no question. Congrats to her, that was quite some skate! Really, really great.

Roo87

Medalist
Congrats to Chartrand! What a good result for her after the disaster of last season.
Well, if Canadian fed want to have a chance to get two spots they should send Daleman. Otherwise they can end with only one lady at their worlds. And that won't necessary be Osmond if she come back. Remember that an healthy Daleman beat her last year with two perfect programs. So it can be a battle between Osmond-Daleman(healthy)-Chartrand(if she keep improving) for just one spot.

Healthy Gabby only beats Osmond when Osmond makes many mistakes.

rain

Record Breaker
I just watched Gabby‘s skate. It was heartbreaking to see her cry in the K&C. But... considering all things, it wasn‘t as bad. Her SP was very good and even though she had lots of troubles in the FS, this was her first competition after being out for so long. For that, she did well.

I was very surprised to see her have such a low score, though. And I might have not watched closely enough but I only counted 3 falls but she got 4 points deduction. The 2A-3T wasn‘t a fall to me. The 3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A in the beginning were nice too. I mean; yes, it was a bad skate but this is Nationals... do they have to lower her confidence even further? They could have easily given her a few points more in the technical score and PCS too... I know I‘m ranting but this seems unfair and I worry for Gabby. I know this was just about getting out there but this must have been quite a blow to her confidence.

I agree that watching Gabby have such a tough skate was really hard. But your suggestion that the judges should have propped her up with marks she didn't earn is wrong, wrong, wrong. What about the other skaters who genuinely skated better than she did? She did not deserve to beat them, especially not because judges were fixing the scores so an athlete didn't feel bad about her skate.

I too hope this skate isn't detrimental to her mental health, but that's not something the judges can or should ever take into consideration when adjudicating at an event. That's not their job.

melgirl25

Medalist
Keep your head up Gabby! Her dress was beautiful and I think this program will be really great for her once she breaks it in more!

Fluture

Record Breaker
I agree that watching Gabby have such a tough skate was really hard. But your suggestion that the judges should have propped her up with marks she didn't earn is wrong, wrong, wrong. What about the other skaters who genuinely skated better than she did? She did not deserve to beat them, especially not because judges were fixing the scores so an athlete didn't feel bad about her skate.

I too hope this skate isn't detrimental to her mental health, but that's not something the judges can or should ever take into consideration when adjudicating at an event. That's not their job.

I don‘t think she should have been propped up and I wasn’t even talking about her beating other skaters that were far ahead of her in the FS. I’m not suggesting she should have got 20 points more like she did or something. But a FS score above 100 should have been possible, The podium was obviously correct the way it was and Alaine a deserved champion, there‘s no question about that. But the score itself seemed a bit low for what Gabby put out there, considering that it is Nationals which yes, is always a bit inflated for every skater. I‘m not pretending she was good or something, she was slow, seemed tired and like she‘s running out of steam. But still, she did have a nice 3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A. And like I said, she had four points deduction even though the fall on the 2A-3T looked very much like Rika‘s on her 3A in the GPF which wasn‘t called as a fall either.

I don‘t see how Larkyn was that much better than her, however. The podium, yes, quite obviously. But Larkyn had a very rough FS herself and Gabby‘s attempted layout was much more difficult. I frankly don‘t see how they were 8 points separated technically but I might have to check the protocols for that.

I like Larkyn, she has a nice presence on the ice and is very elegant. But her jumps are just in no way difficult enough and she wasn‘t even remotely clean today. I think Gabby should have beaten her. :shrug:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Keep your head up Gabby! Her dress was beautiful and I think this program will be really great for her once she breaks it in more!

I really liked the program even though I have to admit I was kind of confused at first when I didn‘t hear Rhapsody in Blue. :laugh:

My favorite today was Alaine today, if only because seeing her so happy and fighting was such a wonderful moment. I like Larkyn‘s program, surprisingly. Normally I dislike POTO programs with a passion but hers has a nice energy to it. She also looks stunning in her costume. It‘s a shame she doesn‘t have the jumps. She could be a star if she had more difficulty. But this way, I unfortunately don‘t see it happening.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I guess the only skater with no mistakes through SP and FP was Aurora. She had no Lz jumps, but otherwise she was amazingly beautiful in both programs.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I might have not watched closely enough but I only counted 3 falls but she got 4 points deduction.

That's because after the second fall the deduction penalty increases. It's one point each for a first and second fall, two points for a third, etc.

Despite the falls, Gabby really put out a valiant effort here, and I hope now that the immediate stress has passed that she knows it. I like the program and I think when she's skating it at her full power and expressiveness it's going to be spectacular. The only way is up!

rain

Record Breaker
I don‘t think she should have been propped up and I wasn’t even talking about her beating other skaters that were far ahead of her in the FS. I’m not suggesting she should have got 20 points more like she did or something. But a FS score above 100 should have been possible, The podium was obviously correct the way it was and Alaine a deserved champion, there‘s no question about that. But the score itself seemed a bit low for what Gabby put out there, considering that it is Nationals which yes, is always a bit inflated for every skater. I‘m not pretending she was good or something, she was slow, seemed tired and like she‘s running out of steam. But still, she did have a nice 3Lz-2T, 3F and 2A. And like I said, she had four points deduction even though the fall on the 2A-3T looked very much like Rika‘s on her 3A in the GPF which wasn‘t called as a fall either.

I don‘t see how Larkyn was that much better than her, however. The podium, yes, quite obviously. But Larkyn had a very rough FS herself and Gabby‘s attempted layout was much more difficult. I frankly don‘t see how they were 8 points separated technically but I might have to check the protocols for that.

I like Larkyn, she has a nice presence on the ice and is very elegant. But her jumps are just in no way difficult enough and she wasn‘t even remotely clean today. I think Gabby should have beaten her. :shrug:

Larkyn certainly didn't skate well here either. But if you look at the two performances objectively, many of the jumps that Larkyn was successful on would and should have garnered higher GOE than Gabby's successful jumps, which were still a struggle. Normally, Gabrielle's speed and flow are far ahead of Larkyn, but not today, in this performance. She was slow, cautious, and had difficulty on her step sequence. It just wasn't her day.

Plus, realistically, for a skater who came in here hoping, and perhaps even expecting to win the title, would a couple more points on a few elements, still landing her far, far, far below her personal best and even the podium, have made her feel any better about the situation? I doubt it.

If you feel she deserved more points on some of her elements, no problem. The issue becomes when you say the judges should have given her more points to make her feel better emotionally. That's not what judges are there to do. A skater's mental state is not their responsibility. Nor should it be.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Canadian ladies compared to last year are a shadow of their former selves. I am not overly impressed with Alaine. I meannice consideringall her struggles but really she isn't back to where she was and she is not at the level of Gabby or Kaetlyn in their prime or even semi prime. It is a dilemma for Canada and Gabby. What is best for her versus Canada. I have no idea. Realistically she is still the best hope to earn two spots or needed to skate with Alaine to earn two spots. She was undertrained as some say and her first competition.I admit though this looks farbetterthansay Gracie's attempt in Russia. Things are rotated. I hope she goes to worlds andsurprises everyone - she has a couple of months so that would help too. Now I bet you Kaetlyn is shooting herself inthefoot thinkingshecould have won fairly easily evenwith a watered downprogram.

kkermit

On the Ice
The Canadian ladies compared to last year are a shadow of their former selves. I am not overly impressed with Alaine. I meannice consideringall her struggles but really she isn't back to where she was and she is not at the level of Gabby or Kaetlyn in their prime or even semi prime. It is a dilemma for Canada and Gabby. What is best for her versus Canada. I have no idea. Realistically she is still the best hope to earn two spots or needed to skate with Alaine to earn two spots. She was undertrained as some say and her first competition.I admit though this looks farbetterthansay Gracie's attempt in Russia. Things are rotated. I hope she goes to worlds andsurprises everyone - she has a couple of months so that would help too. Now I bet you Kaetlyn is shooting herself inthefoot thinkingshecould have won fairly easily evenwith a watered downprogram.

I'm pretty sure Katelyn enjoyed taking a break from intensive training and going on tour with her fellow skaters.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know why the Ladies protocol is not up on the website? All the other disciplines have been up all day.

Ziotic

Medalist

Canadian director basically said Gabby will be offered 4CC and worlds and that her team will make the decision on if she goes to both or one of neither.

I think her and Alaine and Veronik can muster 2 spots.

I think Aurora, Larkyn, and Allison need to be sent to a senior B to get their minimums in case Gabby declines worlds.

I known alicia withdrew, but I think she has minimums so she would be send by default otherwise.

rain

Record Breaker
Canadian director basically said Gabby will be offered 4CC and worlds and that her team will make the decision on if she goes to both or one of neither.

I think her and Alaine and Veronik can muster 2 spots.

I think Aurora, Larkyn, and Allison need to be sent to a senior B to get their minimums in case Gabby declines worlds.

I known alicia withdrew, but I think she has minimums so she would be send by default otherwise.

I was looking forward to seeing Alicia. Does anyone know how serious her injury is? I picked her for a podium spot here.