2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2020–21 Canadian Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I really wish they'd bring back the off topic meme but, I have a question for Canadians. West Edmonton Mall or Wonderland. Which is better???
:bed:
Wonderland is much bigger, and outdoors. West Edmonton Mall is smaller, and indoors. If the weather is bad or it's winter, West Edmonton is it. WEM has (had) a really nice indoor water park.

An even better guideline: if you're in Alberta, go to WEM; if you're in Ontario, go to Wonderland.

MaHa75

On the Ice
I am litle bit confused and maybe someone can explain me how Canada have 2 spots in Words in ladies category? Gabby was out of ten in last worlds in Saitama.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Because Canadian ladies total qualifying points are 28 or less. Daleman (11) + Chartrand (16) = 27.

And to answer your next question preemptively, all who qualified for FS gets 16 "max" points, so placement of 16th through 24th gets the same 16 points. Those who didn't qualify for FS gets 18 points.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and to answer the next question... top ten is required to gain TWO spots when ONLY ONE skater is representing a country... for instance, for Canada to get two spots back in men, Keegan must be 10th or better. Of course, if he finished in the top 2 :) , then Canada would have 3 spots.

In other words, when multiple athletes are participating it's not the best placement that dictates spots but the total number of the placements of the top two skaters

For 3 spots : a maximum of 13 (1+ 12... 5+ 8 etc)

For 2 spots: a maximum of 28

and as it was already mentioned, skaters out of the LP get a maximum 18 points. Skaters in the LP get a maximum of 16.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
With the announcement of the French World team with no Lauriault/Le Gac, Laurence & Nikolaj are now right on the bubble to make the final three flights of the RD (sixteenth among the possible attendees), but absent somebody failing a COVID test I think everybody ahead of them looks set to attend. Failing that, their draw could place them anywhere in the first half of the RD.

Marjorie & Zach are in the antepenultimate flight, Piper & Paul are in the final flight.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
starting order can be relevant but it's not always the case... it has happened before that skaters with an early start saw their scores hold up until the last flight or so... I wouldn't say it's ideal but it's not like it's over for them just because of their RD starting order.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No, certainly not a huge problem or anything like that, just something to note.

KMT & Michael actually skate in the final flight of the pairs SP, which will be high-pressure.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Now onto the post I really wanted to make.

Here is a nice article about Josée Chouinard. She discusses how she has managed to forgive herself for her biggest disappointment, not making the world team after a terrible LP at Nationals... despite having medaled at all her events that year, including a bronze at GPF.
Sigh......... :love: She is just as gorgeous as ever! Thank you posting that link.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The full entry lists for Worlds are out. Our alternates are, for the record:

Nam
Roman

Gabrielle
Alison

Lori-Ann & Thierry

Alicia & Paul
Haley & Nikolas
Carolane & Shane

Also, following up on the earlier comments about RD placement, Kazakova/Reviya aren't attending, so F-B/S & L/L could both be in the penultimate group (I doublechecked the rules on this, and it's a bit more complicated than the top 15 as a neat division, that applies only to the top 10).

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
Interesting how Roman is second alternate, maybe his monitoring was poor
It's done alphabetically by last name within the group that's going and then within the alternates. For example, Piper and Paul are Canada's number 1 dance team but they are second in the list.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Okay good, I was worried, haha
i don't think it means much whether Roman is 1st or second alternate... both Nam and Roman could have skated just like they did at Challenge which was super close. I am posting because I think that our enthusiasm and appreciation of Roman could lead to too much pressure. He is still quite young and his time to shine will come! Let's all be patient. This season is so weird...no time to build momentum. No time to build PCS scores... No time to show consistency. So, let's just wait and see !!!!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I like all three a lot. To me it was a throw of the dice, and it was Keegan who came up on top. And perhaps he'll manage to get an extra spot for the OG and it will be Roman and Nam being able to go next year. Which would be a let down for Keegan, but on the other hand it would be him who makes it possible.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
IAM posted some clips of L&L's FD runthrough on their Instagram. I like the look of the choreographic changes.