2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 328 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
...but is it realistic to expect that the jump a skater once had would be restored sooner or later? Or is it more likely that those jumps might be gone for good?
Semantically, I'd say "no, it isn't realistic". It would depend on a lot though. Yuna Kim lost her 3Lo after her back injury, and was inconsistent with it even after it got healed, but I expect if she'd trained it more out of necessity, she'd have regained it (but then, at the expense of her back). I'd have to look up more people, but remember Nathan Chen was on crutches once, but the next season ended up even landing 4Lz and 4F. It depends on how they direct your training after injury, and of course the nature of the injury itself matters.

For COVID, I'd say it's a lot less complicated than that. They lost training time, but unless there's some physical change that prevents them from getting a jump back, I'd expect to see it back.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
She was, she withdrew after the short. Basically all the members of team Spb were there.
Thanks. So I would say without Liza Stanislava is apparently the strongest SPB lady skater currently. I'm not sure how Sofia S. will develop in the future, but it seems to me, unfortunately, she won't cross the 2018/19 season results.

Last edited:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Yes, I'm completely serious. I don't see it for the first time when you suddenly use a different word with a different meaning just to fit what you push forward.

So, to make myself clear:

There is not a single wrong thing on "Eteri's dominance" if I may use this expression, because it's the dominance of better/more succesful athlete/team/company. If Sonja Henie was a dominant skater of her time, there was nothing wrong in that. If Eteri's team is dominant, it's nothing wrong in that, if they are simply better than the other teams.

Having a monopoly, on the other hand, means having an advantage (unjust, usually) others can't have for some reason - law, rule, resources. Which is not the case here.
Economics student here: that's not what monopoly is at all. You're talking about monopoly power which is seperate to monopoly.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Economics student here: that's not what monopoly is at all. You're talking about monopoly power which is seperate to monopoly.
I also have that degree ;)
Monopoly has specific characteristics , some of them (which are relevant for this comparison) would be high barriers of entry to the market and having a single seller. The situation with a coach being successful isn’t a monopoly, since other coaches exist (there isn’t one single coach for all ladies on the planet) and there are no high barriers of entry (everyone can become a coach).
good luck with obtaining your degree btw.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I wish someone would bring in Oksana Baiul's latest nonsense just so this can end, but like I won't because it's just so obnoxious. It's really nothing as deep as some coach having a "monopoly" or what's happening in this thread being "propaganda".

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I wish someone would bring in Oksana Baiul's latest nonsense just so this can end, but like I won't because it's just so obnoxious. It's really nothing as deep as some coach having a "monopoly" or what's happening in this thread being "propaganda".
Her opinion about Kamila? I think we’ve already discussed that 😂

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Her opinion about Kamila? I think we’ve already discussed that 😂
Oh it's not new?! Wonder why I've seen it moving around on Twitter again. But at least no one's going to bring it in again, then. I didn't realize she also wanted the ISU to pay for their insurance.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I want Eteri to stop monopolizing figure skating. It is unfair for so many hard-working coaches. If Evgheni interrupts this monopolization, congratulations!

Yes!!!! - it will be like when that Knight in Shining Armour Evan Lysacek interrputed Plushy's "Reign of Terror" in men's skating.

I say this tongue-in-cheek, because Plushy is one of my favorite men's skaters of all times.
But some of these posts have been just plain over the top.

Amei

Record Breaker
I want Eteri to stop monopolizing figure skating. It is unfair for so many hard-working coaches. If Evgheni interrupts this monopolization, congratulations!
Well there's an old expression in the US - work smarter not harder. Love her or hate her, Eteri and her team has been the most successful in reading the rules and training her skaters to capitalize those rules and everyone else is still just copying what they do to be successful.

eliana

On the Ice
Well there's an old expression in the US - work smarter not harder. Love her or hate her, Eteri and her team has been the most successful in reading the rules and training her skaters to capitalize those rules and everyone else is still just copying what they do to be successful.
I don't hate Etheri! I never said anything bad about her! He is a very good coach! I think I'm upset with her fans who permanently attack Evgheni .. IMO without clear evidence, but only on assumptions

Status
Not open for further replies.