2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course, Pretty much all Risport boots are available in both black and white, its very unusual to see beige or whatever Trusova's colour
Indeed, although for an athlete as high profile as Sasha I'm sure the company would do a special order :biggrin:

It may be controvercial but I like the tanned boots. They blend in better with the skin colour. White boots make it look like the legs are cut off at the ankles, looks weird to me.
I'm not particularly enamoured of them, but they look 1000% better than the tights over the boot look... Which makes a skaters feet look like hooves.

Cruel fate or doom
Ooo I love this idea for the Romeo and Juliet program! Imagine how epic the costume can be! (Fingers crossed for it to be epic!)

Scott512

Record Breaker
i don't really think this number is accurate. there are many people who are being careful and making sure they wear their masks and wash their hands but there are just as many who do the exact opposite (at least here in the US). even if most people in a country are wearing masks, with the exponential rate of infection it may not be enough to counter it. IMO i would think every single person would have to follow guidelines and that's just not going to happen anywhere, ever.

to answer your question about Aliona, i'd assume because they don't want people speculating or talking more than they already are. it will stay under wraps until she brings it back in competition.
No need for a aliona to rush back in the top form if she's not ready and get injured in the process. It is incredible that Sasha and Anna are in the early-season form they are or so it seems. EG girls seem ready and have performed well so far.

Oh I know not everybody uses disinfecting products and masks that's why I said 98% not 100%. ;) but macy if you think that just as many people are not wearing masks that are then there will be massive second wave which will cause a multitude of problems worldwide. Where I live in the FLA (Florida) we're getting a lot of people back and by that Ifor the snowbirds moving back to Florida what part of the fall and then winter and this is why I'm Coronavirus which really started to kick in late last year and nobody knew what it was at that point. I must say once in a while I'll see someone out in public not wearing a mask but I would say out of a hundred people I say when I go out almost everyone has a mask on. there's no excuse for not wearing a mask no matter political reasons or if you feel like your freedoms are being infringed upon and I know people feel that way. We know this virus is Airborne for the most part so not wearing a mask kind of foolish.
Well, reading what is written, it seems to me it has a lot to do with Japan itself wanting it to go forward? That's what it reads to me like, with the theme being "Reconstruction". I'd wait till the IOC makes an announcement about Beijing.
But during the Olympics don't feel Olympic host cities receive hundreds of thousands of guests from around the world? No way that can happen in Tokyo next summer. Coronavirus isn't just going to go away. But they have to complete the games for the athletes. Ratings around the world will be humongous 4 people watching on television.

This is just the way life is these days.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I agree. I have never seen such beautiful 3A as Aliona had in last season.
For sure. But has the birthday boy young Sergei helped Aliona get her incredible triple axel back yet? It's such a mystery as to whether she has it back or not.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
But during the Olympics don't feel Olympic host cities receive hundreds of thousands of guests from around the world? No way that can happen in Tokyo next summer. Coronavirus isn't just going to go away. But they have to complete the games for the athletes. Ratings around the world will be humongous 4 people watching on television.

This is just the way life is these days.
You should read the article. They suggest they might cut down on staff, for instance, and are yet undecided if they want a full audience.

ETA: But they also add they don't yet know what the travel restrictions will allow.

Last edited:

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
For sure. But has the birthday boy young Sergei helped Aliona get her incredible triple axel back yet? It's such a mystery as to whether she has it back or not.
With the possibility of cancellation of Worlds and other major competitions this season, there's no point to rush. I hope she can get it back soon, but if not, there is time. And most importantly, she stays healthy and happy.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I remember even when Aliona was doing nice 3As, it was causing her back problems. Hopefully she can balance staying healthy with getting that jump back, because she really needs it as Anna, Sasha, and Kamila are all doing quads again.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Perviy Kanal announcement of the third stage of Russian Cup.

Several low ranked contestants have competed today in Southern Breeze tournament already.

2 more open spots left after Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova, Gulyakova, Usachyova, Konstantinova, Nugumanova, Molchanova, Sarnovskaya, Sabora,

so add Shulskaya and Sultanmagomedova to complete the start list?
Sigh... some of my faves now have to compete in the last two cups back to back just to qualify:
Gubanova, Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, Medvedeva and Kostornaia
I just hope they are healthy and able to compete
Also, I think Serafimah will have to compete in the last two as well....

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Sigh... some of my faves now have to compete in the last two cups back to back just to qualify:
Gubanova, Tarakanova, Sinitsyna, Medvedeva and Kostornaia
I just hope they are healthy and able to compete
Also, I think Serafimah will have to compete in the last two as well....
Unfortunately, I am starting to suspect that we will only see Kostornaia of the names you mentioned. Which means that Medvedeva and Sinitsyna will probably be out due to injury, and that we won't see Gubanova, Tarakanova and Sakhanovich at all. :(

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, I am starting to suspect that we will only see Kostornaia of the names you mentioned. Which means that Medvedeva and Sinitsyna will probably be out due to injury, and that we won't see Gubanova, Tarakanova and Sakhanovich at all. :(
I’ll be so sad. This should have been Ksenia’s year to shine in Grand Prix circuit, one year before Olympics. She had my favourite back to back short and long programs. My two Anastasia’s (Gubanova and Tarakanova) who have been overshadowed by the 3As throughout their career. This could be their last year to show the federation they are top 9 in Russia and be on the National team for next year. The following years, I’m afraid might be too competitive. I just wanted them to shine and try their best for this year. Tarakanova could have been the one to benefit this year with Zagitova taking the year off and Gubanova was so close to winning the Russian Cup last year. I had them as my #10 and #11 last year in regards to senior ladies in Russia. Fingers crossed that they just need longer to prepare amazing programs that will dazzle us in the upcoming weeks.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
You are mistaking it as a dance performance.
This is Zheleznyakov (and since he is an integral part of) #TeamTurberidzeForProgess' idea of physical development of athletes through intensive dance. Read more about this here: "To find the middle ground" On the role of choreography in the development of figure skaters, by Alexey Zheleznyakov
Yup, I've seen that article before. It's what I was referring to in saying that Zhelezhnyakov seems to think that he made a great contribution to the skaters' success. I agree that dance is important for cross-training, but as an addition to (not a substitute for) general physical conditioning. High-level skaters and even dancers themselves do conditioning (plyometrics, core work, cardio) to prevent injury. From what we see, the Tutberidze group is no exception (see backstage warmups at the last Russian Cup with off-ice jumps/skipping), so Zhelezhnyakov seems to be overstating his role a bit. It reminds me of Patrick Chan when he had Kathy Johnson (a modern dance teacher) as his main coach. Needless to say that wasn't sufficient.
On the subject of physical development through dance, the competing rink, which owner proclaimed has no time for streaming, does daily live streams. Watch some of their dance lessons for comparison. A copy much worse compared to the (probably expensive) original.

But before that, you shouldn't forget Zheleznyakov owns and operates a commercial dance academy, so he is sort of preaching his own gospel. However, I think the results of this particular approach show in every Khrustalniy skater.
I guess he's got vested interest in promoting his own commercial dance academy, and it seems PR is unavoidable with anyone involved in children's training, whether it be in skating or dance, so that's understandable. I admit to disliking him because he shares more opinions about skating with the media than some actual skating coaches (like Dudakov). E.g. on calling Trusova a traitor - I would actually understand if, say, Danny G said it, but hearing that from a physical trainer who doesn't even skate?

If by 'the competing rink' you mean AoP then yes, I've seen a few dance clips from them. They tend to post ballet/lyrical jazz/contemporary dance though, so it's hard to compare directly with Zhelezhnyakov's commercial dance. I can only judge the ballet, but have yet to see any skater (AoP or elsewhere) in off-ice ballet classes with proper turn-out of the standing leg, articulated feet and spotted turns. It's not necessary to train those aspects for skating, but I can imagine my ballet teacher facepalming at the sight :p

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
There is occasional at the barre training being showed. Perhaps the deceased Liudmila Shalashova gave some ballet classes in the proper sense, with all the taps and pliees, in Khrustalniy? Kostornaya has been seen in pointees, but was severery criticised for not standing properly in them.

Gymnasts, esp rhythmics, in Russia probably have more proper ballet like training.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Moskvina Cup concluding day: https://vk.com/videos-78970490?z=video-78970490_456239252 is already live.

Here is the competition page: 2020 Moskvina Cup

Anastasiya Marasanova will compete her free program, given she won the short program, she will compete last at around 11:40 local time.

Southern Breeze competition continues, today with boys and men, girls and women in free skating, the junior and senior pairs in short program and Alyona Kanysheva and Andrey Pylin in their first ice dance competition in rhythm dance.

Here is the competition page: 2020 Southern Breeze

Last edited:

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
I worry if there will be a World Championships in Stockholm.

If not, it will be devastating for the strongest Russian ladies team ever, who had the chance to sweap the podium. And it was not only once but twice. Many ladies skaters have their peak in 1-2 years and then they're gone. If this is the case for Shcherbakova, Kostornaia and Trusova remains to be seen, but it is safe to say that they have been very unlucky with their careers.

Back in March, the Swedish 'Folkhälsomyndigheten' banned public gatherings of more than 50+ people. That means that sports arenas, theatres, concert halls etc had to cancel their events. This ban was expected to expire 1 oct, but it didn't. It still stands. The motivation for this strategy was not the arenas itself, but the public transports to, and the queueing in and out of the arenas.

So, as I see it, if this 50+ people ban is still in force in March 2021, the only way for Stockholm to arrange the Championships is without audience. Is that even economically possible?

The Swedish FS Federation will meet 24-25 october, hopefully we will get more information after that.
As another swede I talked to one who is in on the planning and he said that ISU decided only a few days ago to continue planning and not to cancel it at this stage at least. Apparently ISU pays for quite a bit at this stage but Im unsure as to how the finances are looking. He also thought that if the event is held its most likely to be completely without audience and that is what they are currently planning for so they must think its possible. They are probably hoping to get a decent amount of money from TV rights etc. There is also a lot of costs that are saved by not having an audience such as security etc.

Note that the 50+ people ban only applies to public gatherings with an audience if you say hold a competition there can be more than 50 people involved if there is no audience but with an audience I think its only the audience that is limited to 50 people and not the people involved in the production. All other skating competitions in sweden is happening mostly as usual but all with livestreaming and no spectators allowed just skaters and coaches in the rinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.