2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 459 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Plushenko is showing off the construction of his new ice rink, how is the Sambo 70 one that Eteri and Evgenia begged Putin for after the Olympics? I can't find much about it except general indications that something will be built by the end of 2022.
This reminds me a russian fairytale Morozko (Frosty), where when the good maiden Nastenka received chest and locker as a wedding present from the good Frosty, her evil step-mother claimed that her own daughter, lazy Marfusha, Nastenka's step-sister, will receive four lockers and two chests :laugh:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
a glance at the toc shows that there are 7 pages about Tina, and 4 about working with TeamTutberidze - which is absolutely fair since it was Tina the Talisman that brought Sasha all her victories.
7 pages! :laugh:What can be said that much about a dog?

Even Masaru who is making more money than some skaters, met prime ministers and have been received on talk shows can't have 7 pages:laugh:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
anything but that^, please - almost every time he opens his mouth, we get an avalanche of :poop:
Exactly! Isn't it his task to protect his school and the athletes he represents, and make those government promises come true on their behalf?

There are already a dozen commercial rinks in Moscow, including the huge Southern Ice, yet the state supported schools are still stuck in bureaucrazy and political obstruction and perhaps even corruption still, despite all efforts to counter this?

All these academies rent ice by the hour for their classes. Some move between rinks during season even, seeking the most favourable terms. Fedchenko wrote in her live stream when lockdown was lifted, ice rent charge has risen like 300% and the girls had to change on the street, since all facilities were still closed off.

Plyushchenko's choice to have his investors construct a training base for the Academy of Angels top group outside of Moscow and a commercial rink for the paying groups inside the MKAD ring road makes perfect business sense. And things get done much faster when private money is at work.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Exactly! Isn't it his task to protect his school and the athletes he represents, and make those government promises come true on their behalf?

There are already a dozen commercial rinks in Moscow, including the huge Southern Ice, yet the state supported schools are still stuck in bureaucrazy and political obstruction and perhaps even corruption still, despite all efforts to counter this?

All these academies rent ice by the hour for their classes. Some move between rinks during season even, seeking the most favourable terms.

Plyushchenko's choice to have his investors construct a training base for the Academy of Angels makes perfect business sense. And things get done much faster when private money is at work.
Why doesn't Eteri move to a private rink? I'm sure the private rink would welcome her with open arms as she'd increase their income a lot.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I don't think it would that easy, unless she breaks away from Sambo-70, which is a registered school with full support of Moscow city council.

Sambo-70 provides lots of logistics and support, when going private, this all has to be sourced in at commercial rates.
Plus, being a tenant means you are under contract and obligations, now she is Queen of her own Crystal Dome.

If you like to work with people 24/7/50, train young skaters, raise them, educate them, bring them to championships, make them champions, you wouldn't want to get stuck in bureaucrazy and petty politics, bartering, bargaining, fighting daily over all kinds of things not in your interest, line of duty nor your heart's desire?

Yes, you can delegate, but perfectionists aren't probably that good at delegating? Being leader of a successful coaching team, Eteri Georgiyevna feels probably much more rewarding for herself than making millions and showing off your accrued wealth.

Last edited:
I don't see how anyone can have negative feelings about an "autobiography" of a famous teenage sports star. These are basically children's books, read by youngsters who say, "When I grow up I want to be a champion figure skater just like Sasha Trusova." Or Michelle Kwan.

(By the way, you can buy a used copy of Michelle's books for 25 cents on Amazon, if your
school's library doesn't have it.)

I haven't read Ms. Trusova's book yet, but I have no doubt that it will be filled with useful advice such as, "Follow your dreams," "Aim for the stars," "When you fall down, get up!," etc. What's not to like? (As for me, I am working my way through "Dream Big, Little Pig" by Kristi Yamaguchi, while waiting for the release of Maia and Alex Shibutani' book, "The Mystery of the Masked Medalist.")

Last edited:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I don't see how anyone can have negative feelings about an "autobiography" of a famous teenage sports star. These are basically children's books, read by youngsters who say, "When I grow up I want to be a champion figure skater just like Sasha Trusova." Or Michelle Kwan.

(By the way, you can buy a used copy of Michelle's books for 25 cents on Amazon, if your

I haven't read Ms. Trusova's book yet, but I have no doubt that it will be filled with useful advice such as, "Follow your dreams," "Aim for the stars," "When you fall down, get up!," etc. What's not to like? (As for me, I am working my way through "Dream Big, Little Pig" by Kristi Yamaguchi, while waiting for the release of Maia and Alex Shibutani' book, "The Mystery of the Masked Medalist.")
I saw Michelle Kwan when she made an appearance at Toys R Us in Times Square way back in November 2002.
She did a book signing afterwards. I wanted to do this, but the line was way too long and I would have missed my train back to Boston.
Well, I probably would have been stuttering and stammering like a love-struck teenager if I had actually met her.
So it was probably just as well (for her as well as me).

There are many "Queens" in figure skating.
There is only ONE "KWEEN".

Magill

Record Breaker

I hope Maia and Alex will come up with a sequel titled "The Mystery of the Masked Coach". Bound to be a bestseller in the making! :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
In addition, we have only seen less than a minute of four of Kostornaia's program. To say it can't compare to Gleikhengauz would be completely wrong that this stage. Besides, just watching one section of say Radionova's Shae-Lynn Bourne program (maybe like the part she does the combo) wouldn't be all that great either. But it shines in the step sequence and second half.
I think only the part on wayward sisters will be watchable. From what i've seen from dance for me wallis and R&J, it's highly forgettable.

The SP isn't great (the leftovers looks like a masterpiece beside), that FS doesn't look promising. But i think the jumps will elevate the programs.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Why doesn't Eteri move to a private rink?
a) Khrustal'nyi has (almost) all of the facilities required for proper training: rink, gym, ballet & dance class halls, etc. Cramped but better than nothing
b) as Edwin said about coaching 24/7 vs administrative management/bureaucracy/govt relations/etc - and

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Varvara Kisel' also working hard to improve herself:

getting that triksel down pat.

Let's hope Anastasiya Shabotova is working hard likewise.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Children get challenged, trainers get more experienced, everybody needs to stay in this competitive flow.

When 10 year olds like Alyona Zhilina will jump clean triksels and keep them while growing, the future is bright.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I wonder, do Trusova and Kostornaya really like all this publicity? Kostornaya said she skated in the younger group and didn't want to get photographed.

It's not like this is new territory for Plushenko's group so they knew what they were getting into with him; if they didn't want the publicity they should have went to another coach or gotten an agreement in place with him prior to being coached by him that limited the publicity.

Amei

Record Breaker
Apparently eteri will not be at this stage.

I wonder if this will put to bed the internet gossip that Shcherbakova was the favorite by the coaches and that's what "drove" Trusova and Kostornaia away? If Shcherbakova were the favorite surely the head coach would come to 1 of her Cup stage competitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.