2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 490 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Someone posted her 4T, 4T+3T and 4S attempts on Telegram. They look great.
Daria Domracheva in biathlon, who in her youth moved to Belarus from Russia and achieved many victories there, can serve as an excellent example of success in sports for Varvara and Victoria Safonova. Good luck to these brave athletes.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
We are moving into dangerous political territory here, but state supported Belarus athletes who don't swear alliance to the Lukashenko government are expelled and perhaps even forced into exile.

readernick

Medalist
Sasha landed Qlutz-Rippon in practice

I love Sasha. I do not love Rippon jumps that add nothing to the beauty or quality of a jump. I hope this stupid Rippon competition stops soon. I haven't liked any of the recent quads and 3A that skaters have been done with Rippons, just focus on the quality of the jump, please.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I love Sasha. I do not love Rippon jumps that add nothing to the beauty or quality of a jump. I hope this stupid Rippon competition stops soon. I haven't liked any of the recent quads and 3A that skaters have been done with Rippons, just focus on the quality of the jump, please.
I agree so much!! I usually love rippon jumps, I find them aesthetically pleasing. But only if they‘re done with quality. In recent years I‘ve seen so many sloppy rippons that actually reduce the height and stability and are just plain awkward to watch. For example, I think both Kamila’s and Maiia’s 2A were way higher and smoother without the rippon. And with this rippon quad/3A trend it‘s the same. Sure, it‘s impressive but in many cases, it‘s not done well and looks less impressive than a normal, fully rotated quad/3A might look. I love Sasha and I love that she keeps pushing herself but this 4Lz looks like a sloppy, sligtly overrotated 3Lz with a rippon. Imo, it would be better if she just focused on getting her 4Lz stability back in competition instead instead of mixing two different techniques around.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Rippon jumps are hot and do seem to be easier on the small, still stick shaped children. Lengthening your 'height', reducing your 'cross section' as explained earlier, thereby increasing your 'amplitude? Plus the extra lift achieved by throwing your shoulders and arms up?

And perhaps the timing and biomechanics of throwing up your arms are more beneficial than screwing them up close to your chest?

Jumping with your legs is also the ankles and calves, in addition to your thigh and butt muscles?

Varvara Kisel' jumps with screwed in arms in Buyanova's group. Sof'ya Akat'yeva? Sof'ya Samodelkina jumps in the Rippon position, and she is very muscular skater girl.

11 year old Nikolay Kolesnikov from Khrustalniy premiered a quad Salchow in the Rippon position just half an hour ago on the IG account of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress

#СделаноВХрустальном! and this goes for all the basics of Kostornaya and Trusova too, up to and including their International Master of Sports distinctions just awarded. No doubt Kostornaya will try the Rippon too while she is restoring and improving her jumps arsenal.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
When she was 13 though, Sasha did a Rippon flip that was a blur. I looked forward to that one jump every time she skated.

readernick

Medalist
Rippon jumps are hot and do seem to be easier on the small, still stick shaped children. Lengthening your 'height', reducing your 'cross section' as explained earlier, plus the extra lift achieved by throwing your shoulders and arms up.

And perhaps the timing and biomechanics of throwing up your arms are more beneficial than screwing them up close to your chest?

11 year old Nikolay Kolesnikov from Khrustalniy premiered a quad Salchow in the Rippon position just half an hour ago on the IG account of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress

#СделаноВХрустальном! and this goes for all the basics of Kostornaya and Trusova too, up to and including their International Master of Sports distinctions just awarded.
There are definite advantages to Rippon jumps for certain skaters. However, I do not think the recent jumps we have seen have been improvements over the non-Rippon variety of these jumps from the same skaters. I can't make a definite statement about Valieva (as we have only ever seen one 3A from her( it honestly wasn't a great jump but for a beginning attempt it was very good) but the non-Rippon variants of the quads from other skaters were better than the Rippon versions. So, I would just focus on quality.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Rippon jumps are hot and do seem to be easier on the small, still stick shaped children. Lengthening your 'height', reducing your 'cross section' as explained earlier. Plus the extra lift achieved by throwing your shoulders and arms up?

All this excessive use of rippons, even on Quads and 3As will result in faster developed back injuries.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
All this excessive use of rippons, even on Quads and 3As will result in faster developed back injuries.
Perhaps, with improper technique, and the emphasis on core, chest, shoulder and arm muscles when these are not properly strengthened by these Zheleznyakov dance/physical exercise hybrid development lessons?

What about the landing, where the g-forces on the spinal column and all the bents in the joints? Here your arms can dampen your downward momentum? It all depends on the trainers, their experience, their 'feeling' for when the athlete is ready, etc etc.

It will be interesting to study this over a longer period of time, but most skater's careers don't have a long enough sample period.

Ifwe

Rinkside
the battle of rippons lol but i’m pretty sure non of them will attempt rippon on quads in competition it will be risky

silveruskate

On the Ice
I wish with Sasha they would work on the entry to the 4Lz instead. Her entry into the 4Lz gives her way too much time to think about it, and that's not a good thing. I hope she proves me wrong, but that jump will not hold up to the biggest moments of tension.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Why does Sasha’s rippon 4lz look as if she only has the rippon variation for 2 or 2.5 rotations, then she very clearly starts lowering her arms while she’s still rotating? There’s no way that’s a sustainable technique and it’s not a nice air position if it’s not held throughout the jump.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Why does Sasha’s rippon 4lz look as if she only has the rippon variation for 2 or 2.5 rotations, then she very clearly starts lowering her arms while she’s still rotating? There’s no way that’s a sustainable technique and it’s not a nice air position if it’s not held throughout the jump.
" This has never been done before. Oh yes Sasha, oh yes, molodets! "

The race for the best scoring, most beautiful, most difficult program to be shown in Rostelekom Cup and the Nationals is clearly on.

Last edited:

NaVi

Medalist

TBH, I'm glad she does it that way. Arms help with controlling how to land during a fall and a last resort to prevent the head from hitting the ice.

I don't think rippon quads will be banned but I also would not be surprised to see them banned.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
As the commentator called her, "little firecracker" Adeliya on the podium

w3wrXB3FLQM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.