2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 294 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard about these rumors ? Is that even possible since the switching schoolwindow has closed
Their source is the TSL bs we've heard before: that Sasha isn't speaking to Sergei. Which somehow gets extrapolated to "Sasha is returning to Eteri because she doesn't want to be around Kostornaia". Because apparently "Kostornaia is the primary reason for her departure from Sambo 70 and now she has to skate with her again. But Sasha was never in Sergei's primary group, she went to be coached by Plushenko. And Plushenko has Sasha and Aliona in two separate groups. Also, those rumors that she isn't speaking to Sergei? Based off the fact that Sasha and him didn't communicate at test skates. Even though he is not her primary coach. We didn't see Sasha's primary coach speaking with Aliona while there. We also see Dudakov and Daniil split their time between skaters at competitions. Is that evidence of tension or just divided attention? And she doesn't appear in Angels of Plushenko videos which is how we know she isn't speaking with Sergei? She never did, maybe briefly at the beginning of her transition she was in some videos, but not with Sergei as far as I can recall. And Aliona is now the one who has to prove herself, hence the increased social media presence. Same as how Sasha got before test skates. Maybe she doesn't want to be filmed all the time. Who knows. Her transition was very well thought out, and given the appearance at test skates, I'd think we'd have to see a disastrous season for her to return to Eteri. It's one thing to transfer outside the transition window while still in the off season. It's another to transition after the season has already started. And with her complain about not getting enough attention + that Medvedeva is now there (making the top group number of girls the same as it was when she left, just swap Medo for Kostornaia) it would make no sense. And if it does happen, then who should care. It is a discussion between the skater and coaches about what is best for them.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I think that Shcherbakova definitely got the Medvedeva's business model. Similar musics, similar programs every season, similar dresses. Maybe it's because they have the same body type (even if i think Shcherbakova will get wider hips and stronger legs than Medvedeva later). The only differences are the lack of miming, and changes of layout. Medvedeva kept the same layout in the free during 5 years while Shcherbakova changes sometimes. Probably because Shcherbakova can skate way more difficult programs than Medvedeva could.
That's too bad because i think Shcherbakova is more talented than Medvedeva at the same age. She can interpret something else. She's too light, too smooth. Kostornaya will always get better pcs (not only because of SS) is she doesn't show some character.
Congrats for the 4F by the way. Those who were hoping that she lost her quads are dissastified.
I both agree with you and not. I do see similarities between Anna's and Zhenya before Orser styles. I think that Anna still has to work a little bit on interpretation in order to achieve the same level as Zhenya had back then. So far her programs have little replay value for me unlike Medvedeva's best programs.

I think that Anna has a very good potential score wise. If she lands 2 quad lutzes and a quad flip her only competition is Sasha with 5 quads. No matter how good a skater Alena is, 2 3As is just not enough vs. 3 most valuable quads.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I love the Rukavicin girls. I think I came to that conclusion already last year. Nugumanova, Gubanova and Talalaykina all have something that I just can't explain.

So, it was sooo nice to see Talalaykina in great form here at Stage One. I looooved her free Maleficent program. I have watched it again and again. Unfortunately, she has adopted her team mate Nugumanova's habit to underrotate, and that cost her 20+ points. Otherwise she would have been third ahead of Khromykh. Also, she needs to up her tech. She has gone down to a 6+5 layout instead of the usual 7+4.

I hope we will see Nugumanova and Gubanova in equal great form later on...fingers crossed. And no <'s.

Last edited:

renebaebae

On the Ice
Sofia Akatieva skated really well today! I think they program suits her and the choreo isn't cluttered. They were being veryyy generous with her scores as usual. It's like they capped the other girls at 7 for all PCS and put Akatieva's base at 8.25 all round. The favouritism is real. Also surprising, I just noticed Akatieva also has a Lz! maybe even leaning towards a Lze. She has such a good outside edge at the beginning of the jump until you watch in slow-mo and notice the change of edge. I never noticed it before. I automatically thought they wouldn't call it as usual but was pleasantly surprised that they did lol but then the goes despite the call are .............. interesting to say the least.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I think I know why I'm so annoyed with the "prerotation and flutz" videos now. In theory, they are totally correct about how technique is getter worse and worse (on average) for the top skaters, but I hate it when they only pick Russian skaters (or, more specifically, Tutberidze skaters) for the videos. Like, they aren't the only people that prerotate and flutz? I haven't seen one about Satoko or Marin or Bradie or Kaetlyn or Kaori or Mai or Eunsoo etc. (even criticism for Zhenya has gone down recently). Like yes, the Eteri girls are the ones getting the highest scores but like, do you see flutz marks for the skaters above on judges sheets? Sometimes, yes, but all the time? No. The real place where the Eteri girls are getting overscored are PCS (in my opinion), yeah their jumps aren't great but I hate to break it to you, the majority of skater's jumps aren't great. (I am willing to bet that when Zhilina gets more famous, people will go calling her textbook lutz a flooptz just because she's Russian and worked with Eteri). Calling out corruption is good, and we need the system to change to be fairer, but these fans are only calling out selective corruption because they don't like the skaters or their coach. (I don't like Eteri at all, but this prejudice against her skaters and how only they are ruining the sport need to stop).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I both agree with you and not. I do see similarities between Anna's and Zhenya before Orser styles. I think that Anna still has to work a little bit on interpretation in order to achieve the same level as Zhenya had back then. So far her programs have little replay value for me unlike Medvedeva's best programs.

I think that Anna has a very good potential score wise. If she lands 2 quad lutzes and a quad flip her only competition is Sasha with 5 quads. No matter how good a skater Alena is, 2 3As is just not enough vs. 3 most valuable quads.
For me, it is insane to compare Anna and Evgenia. I just can't see the connection between those two. Technically and artistically. Anna has always drawn me in, Evgenia not so much. I was re-watching the 2015 Junior Worlds the other night, and I was shocked at how weak Medvedeva was, and she won! She beat Wakaba Higuchi (who was robbed!) by PCS and I just couldn't see why. I understand here that there is something that others see that I don't, but it baffles me anyway. But in the end, that is what I love about figure skating, so many opinions...

Edit: Love to see you back Samkrut. You've been missed.

Last edited:

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
For me, it is insane to compare Anna and Evgenia. I just can't see the connection between those two. Technically and artistically. Anna has always drawn me in, Evgenia not so much. I was re-watching the 2015 Junior Worlds the other night, and I was shocked at how weak Medvedeva was, and she won! She beat Wakaba Higuchi (who was robbed!) by PCS and I just couldn't see why. I understand here that there is something that others see that I don't, but it baffles me anyway. But in the end, that is what I love about figure skating, so many opinions...
There truly are so many opinions! While Zhenya doesn't really draw me in like she does others, I do think her skating is more emotional and artistic than Anya's. Actually, until last season, I really didn't get the hype about Anya. Alyona's skating was the one that really felt super interesting for me. (I'm a fake fan so I haven't watched Wakaba's 2015 Jr Worlds performances, but I really liked Zhenya's SP that season).

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Their source is the TSL bs we've heard before: that Sasha isn't speaking to Sergei. Which somehow gets extrapolated to "Sasha is returning to Eteri because she doesn't want to be around Kostornaia". Because apparently "Kostornaia is the primary reason for her departure from Sambo 70 and now she has to skate with her again. But Sasha was never in Sergei's primary group, she went to be coached by Plushenko. And Plushenko has Sasha and Aliona in two separate groups. Also, those rumors that she isn't speaking to Sergei? Based off the fact that Sasha and him didn't communicate at test skates. Even though he is not her primary coach. We didn't see Sasha's primary coach speaking with Aliona while there. We also see Dudakov and Daniil split their time between skaters at competitions. Is that evidence of tension or just divided attention? And she doesn't appear in Angels of Plushenko videos which is how we know she isn't speaking with Sergei? She never did, maybe briefly at the beginning of her transition she was in some videos, but not with Sergei as far as I can recall. And Aliona is now the one who has to prove herself, hence the increased social media presence. Same as how Sasha got before test skates. Maybe she doesn't want to be filmed all the time. Who knows. Her transition was very well thought out, and given the appearance at test skates, I'd think we'd have to see a disastrous season for her to return to Eteri. It's one thing to transfer outside the transition window while still in the off season. It's another to transition after the season has already started. And with her complain about not getting enough attention + that Medvedeva is now there (making the top group number of girls the same as it was when she left, just swap Medo for Kostornaia) it would make no sense. And if it does happen, then who should care. It is a discussion between the skater and coaches about what is best for them.
TSL and Fran, as somebody mentioned earlier they are the equivalent of watching The Real Housewives of Las Vegas or something. They feed on gossip and drama.

I get so disappointed sometimes when I realise that many figure skating fans are not real fans at all, all they want is the gossip.

Let the ice speak I'd say. Everything is decided out there.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Has anyone heard about these rumors ? Is that even possible since the switching schoolwindow has closed
At this point nothing would surprise me, but I would think that if anyone would go back, it would be Alyona, considering how chaotic and abrupt her transition was, while Sasha's was more organized. However, I do understand why Sasha would be mad about them taking Alyona too. She specifically left because she felt she wasn't getting enough attention. On the other hand, she was doing so well at test skates, and made improvements on both her musicality and her jumps.

Probably all just rumors though :)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
There truly are so many opinions! While Zhenya doesn't really draw me in like she does others, I do think her skating is more emotional and artistic than Anya's. Actually, until last season, I really didn't get the hype about Anya. Alyona's skating was the one that really felt super interesting for me. (I'm a fake fan so I haven't watched Wakaba's 2015 Jr Worlds performances, but I really liked Zhenya's SP that season).
You should watch 2015 World Juniors! It was very interesting and it was all there on YouTube. (I can't believe Higuchi didn't even beat Sakhanovich! And I am saying this as a huge fan of the Russian girls, but here I didn't agree)

Last edited:

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
At this point nothing would surprise me, but I would think that if anyone would go back, it would be Alyona, considering how chaotic and abrupt her transition was, while Sasha's was more organized. However, I do understand why Sasha would be mad about them taking Alyona too. She specifically left because she felt she wasn't getting enough attention. On the other hand, she was doing so well at test skates, and made improvements on both her musicality and her jumps.

Probably all just rumors though :)
Aliona seems to be very happy with AOP lately and she's getting a program from SLB - don't see a reason she's leaving at this point of time to rejoin Eteri. Sasha was solid during the test skates and both her programs suit her well. However it seems hot Sergei is no longer coaching her and she might have missed the other Sergei - it wouldn't surprise me if she chose to go back

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Sofia Akatieva skated really well today! I think they program suits her and the choreo isn't cluttered. They were being veryyy generous with her scores as usual. It's like they capped the other girls at 7 for all PCS and put Akatieva's base at 8.25 all round. The favouritism is real. Also surprising, I just noticed Akatieva also has a Lz! maybe even leaning towards a Lze. She has such a good outside edge at the beginning of the jump until you watch in slow-mo and notice the change of edge. I never noticed it before. I automatically thought they wouldn't call it as usual but was pleasantly surprised that they did lol but then the goes despite the call are .............. interesting to say the least.
She was also visibly better than everyone else in PCS, so I don’t see how or why she should be held back.
she had the hardest transitions, beautiful SS, overall was very solid in everything. When others were barely landing 3-2 combos, she skated a stellar performance. It just wasn’t a level playing field for her, she looked like a 15 year old skating with 10 year olds.

I would also add that her lutz is improving as well, even compared to her last competition. She’s going on a better curve, and I think she’ll have it perfected in no time.

Last edited:

McBibus

On the Ice
No. Jump is marked as UR if the last rotation is missing more than 1/4 of the revolution, which is more than 90°:

A jump will be considered as “Under-rotated” if it has missing rotation of more than a ¼ but less than ½ revolution.

A jump will be considered as “Downgraded” if it has “missing rotation of ½ revolutions or more”.

(Technical Panel Handbook for 2020/2021)
OMG you're right... I totally missed the conversion from 1/4 to ° 🤕

zounger

Medalist
A lot off people were happy and were saying different things than they did. So I don't give much credibility what skaters say. I give credibility to RusFed and people who take decisions. Others say, they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.