2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 317 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azikin

Medalist
In the competition thread there were also some questions about Daria Sadkova, some can be found here - of course it is a fan channel and the english subtitles are "google-like", but you get the basic info (talk about Sadkova starts at about 2:00):
There's an article here about her joining Eteri group: https://www.marimedia.ru/news/sports/item/107600/

colormyworld240

Medalist
Interesting.

in US professional sports, the argument at one point was that athletes should be bound to the team that “raised them up” or that their contracts prevented them from leaving without their first team’s permission. That thinking has been pretty much rejected here legally, and also “morally“. Nothing now prevents an athlete from going where they choose.

A pro athlete is bound by a contract, but the pro athlete is being paid. I don’t consider subsidized coaching as “payment”, but that’s just me. So if that’s the argument, I can see the basis even if I don’t agree with it. If someone from a club was actually giving these girls cold hard cash, I can see restricting their movements. Otherwise, let the skaters skate where they want and with whom they want. Better for the clubs, the coaches, and most of all, the skaters(y)
I think you might be misunderstanding the transfer window. There is nothing binding the athlete to the team who raised them up, or any other team. Skaters can change coaches whenever. The transfer window is only for the club, and only in terms of funding (and maybe the club they are representing officially when competing). To my understanding, if a skater moves to a different school outside of the window, the funding still goes to their old club. Essentially, the federation does not pay for the new coach for that season. But this is clear to all parties involved, so any coach who takes a skater outside the window would do so knowing that they wouldn't get the stipend. And any skater who leaves outside the window would know that they need to find a new coach who would agree to this (or pay for the coach themselves?). It reminds of school where if you didn't drop courses by a certain date, you wouldn't get your money back. Except of course this is not the skater's money, it's the federation funding the "public schools".

But nothing prevents the skater from leaving; many skaters have made the change outside the transfer window. Kostornaia, Frolova, Kolyada, etc.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
I saw pictures of a competition on Stanislava’s Instagram (along with the angelsofplushenkos’) and I was wondering if anyone knew what competition happened this week in Moscow? It also looked like Sofia Samodurova was there as well.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Someone mentioned to me that Anna Shcherbakova is 50% Ukrainian by background.

Anyone know if this is accurate?

If it is, is it on her dad's side or her mom's side?

Just curious!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Just curious!
Scherbakova is a Russian family name so that on her dad's side she is definitely Russian. Whether her mother has any Ukrainian roots I have no idea. I understand that she is also Scherbakova so that she considers herself Russian.

National topic is tricky. In Russia it's different from the U.S.A. where all the citizen are Americans. You can be a Russian citizen but be considered as with another nationality. About 3 million Russian citizen when asked named themselves "Ukrainians". The issue is even stronger in Ukraine. Even before 2014 two-thirds of Crimea population were Russians....but the topic is sensitive and we may very quickly get into poilitics. Let's just consider Anna as Russian.

Last edited:

Fried

Final Flight
National topic is tricky. In Russia it's different from the U.S.A. where all the citizen are Americans. You can be a Russian citizen but be considered as with another nationality. About 3 million Russian citizen when asked named themselves "Ukrainians". The issue is even stronger in Ukraine. Even before 2014 two-thirds of Crimea population were Russians....but the topic is sensitive and we may very quickly get into poilitics. Let's just consider Anna as Russian.
How easy, equal and peaceful it was when there were only Soviet citizens! 😇

vorravorra

Record Breaker

Just curious!
There are so many Russians of Ukrainian descent there is hardly a distinction worth mentioning, unless their parents came directly from a Ukrainian-speaking region of Ukraine in which case there may be some cultural differences.

Using skaters as an example, Gumennik, Kolyada, Drozd, Loboda, Khvalko, Lozko, Sviatchenko, Petrenko, Plushenko, Semenenko, Sviridenko, Shevchenko etc. are all Ukrainian surnames but I doubt many of them actually consider themselves Ukrainian or are in any way culturally different from their peers with Russian last names.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

Just curious!
Don't know what her family heritage is, but for the purpose of competing if she wants to go to Beijing at this point I believe its either go competing for Russia or not go. I'm sure any other country would bend their citizenship laws to get her but she would have to be released by Russia and as the 2-time national champ and legitimate world and Olympic champion contender I doubt that would happen easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.