2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 465 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Another, more serious book may be warranted once Sasha hangs Olympic Gold on her wall. But ice is slippery (hmmm, where have I heard that before?) Yulia Lipnitskaya was headed for Olympic immortality, until....the opportunity slipped away forever.
This makes me wonder if many skaters in singles won olympic gold on the 2nd or 3rd try. Especially after have been a favorite. Arakawa won on the 2nd try but wasn't a favorite in Nagano and didn't compete in Salt lake city.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
If we're talking about russian ladies, I would be much more interested in reading Zagitova's, Medvedeva's or even Sotnikova's.
I was not talking about whose biography I would be more interested about. I just said Sasha's biography would be interesting enough for me. Now, forgive me, but the biography I want to read the most is Eteri Georgievna's. WHERE IS IT?

Last edited:

esteticlove

Final Flight
While in DQ, i was kinda waiting the jumps (and that 2nd part was spectacular). Less in black Swan though. There was more interesting stuff in that SP.
I get what you mean. In my opinion, the junior version (which was the original) had a better composition. But I wonder if this "wayting for the jump" wasn't also an additional effect from the commentators. Even now when I re-watch Alina's Olympic programs is striking me how fixed people were on her backloaded jumps.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
We're talking about the actual choreography, which doesn't have anything to do with whether you find a skater balletic or if you like a TV show. My point was Adios Nonino was done well, but Daniil's best, Me Voy, Black Swan, and Fly/Experience top that. And DQ was done well but that had a lot of influence from an actual principal ballet dancer, so I wouldn't say that was was purely Eteri or Daniil.
Yeah, my point was that you consider it had a lot of ballet influence from a ballet dancer, and I don't think it's balletic enough to be considered a "Ballet program". For me, the only balletic thing about Don Quixote was the music and the tutu.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I get what you mean. In my opinion, the junior version (which was the original) had a better composition. But I wonder if this "wayting for the jump" wasn't also an additional effect from the commentators. Even now when I re-watch Alina's Olympic programs is striking me how fixed people were on her backloaded jumps.
May also be because the 2nd part was simply more interesting than the 1st.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I honestly don't get why everyone was hating on backloading. If it works with the program then I think I'd rather see zero jumps - 7 jumps than 3 jumps - 4 jumps. Like for example, Alena Kostornaia's Adios Nonino, it would make zero sense for jumps to be in the first half because the music gets to a climax towards the end. If anything, this restriction on backloading is reducing the level of creativity in figure skating. Now if choreographer want their jumps to match the intensity of the music, it has to be loud at the beginning and end.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Now if choreographer want their jumps to match the intensity of the music, it has to be loud at the beginning and end.
Which is a challenge in itself and will probably make for more disjointed music cuts?

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
Still, the music does not have to be loud to support a jump. I can imagine a delicate piece where the music falls to a whisper, and then ... she rises effortlessly into the air like a buttlerfly, filling the silence with motion.
Yes, but that doesn't mean loud jumps to match musical accents are bad either. I'm just saying, they are restricting a certain type of program, thus lowering the diversity of programs we see.

katymay

Medalist
I was not talking about whose biography I would be more interested about. I just said Sasha's biography would be interesting enough for me. Now, forgive me, but the biography I want to read the most is Eteri Georgievna's. WHERE IS IT?
The biography I would love to read is Tatiana Tarasova. She has had a fascinating life, going back to when her dad was a hockey coach, and then sacked. Can you imagine some of the stories she could tell?

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yeah, my point was that you consider it had a lot of ballet influence from a ballet dancer, and I don't think it's balletic enough to be considered a "Ballet program". For me, the only balletic thing about Don Quixote was the music and the tutu.
Strongly disagree. I'm a ballet dancer and choreographically I thought that structuring was perfect, especially for a pas de deux. As were many of the movements and steps. Especially if you watch the ballet during the specific variations they used.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is getting annoying. Where did you get this information? Please provide a source. Because I am not aware of such facts. Nobody, except Edwin :palmf:, said that there were screams and noise during the skates of Camila and Daria. You shame the people who were there in the arena for no reason at all. Everything that happened at the Cup was connected with refereeing and happened when the assessments of some men were announced and after Konstantinova. At these moments there were loud shouts towards the judges. Everyone has the opportunity to watch these events again in order to refresh their memory and not compose what was not there.
What information? Edwin is the Emperor of information and if he said it happened then we have to consider it.

Emotions are on high on both sides but I expect fans to behave respectfully when they're in an arena. Especially when the skaters are your compatriots. Should the fans be shouting or swearing at the judges? He'll no! Anyone doing that needs to be ejected from the arena. This is figure skating An elegant classy sport not soccer which is none of that.

Last edited:

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Strongly disagree. I'm a ballet dancer and choreographically I thought that structuring was perfect, especially for a pas de deux. As were many of the movements and steps. Especially if you watch the ballet during the specific variations they used.
I've done years of ballet myself and I disagree, but that's the beautiful thing about the world, there's enough space for everybody.

Now, I would like to understand you better: do you think the program was balletic or that Alina was balletic?

The program was, indeed, ballet-inspired, but I don't think it was balletic per se.

Which skaters do you consider balletic?

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
The biography I would love to read is Tatiana Tarasova. She has had a fascinating life, going back to when her dad was a hockey coach, and then sacked. Can you imagine some of the stories she could tell?
Doesn't she have one though?

But yeah, I'd love to learn more about her story.

The other huge personality in Russian's figure skating for me is Mishin, although I haven't read his biography.

Does anyone here know if it's worth it?

colormyworld240

Medalist
I've done years of ballet myself and I disagree, but that's the beautiful thing about the world, there's enough space for everybody.

Now, I would like to understand you better: do you think the program was balletic or that Alina was balletic?

The program was, indeed, ballet-inspired, but I don't think it was balletic per se.

Which skaters do you consider balletic?
The program - as in the choreography, both in movements and construction - was balletic. I thought Alina performed the program well, but she's certainly not a ballerina. During her best performances, it was an excellent interpretation of Kitri's character.

I wouldn't say any skater is balletic; that term is extremely overused and misused in figure skating. Ballet is a very specific style with precise movements in the body, and that can't be represented on ice skates. Many of the graceful and/or musical skaters who are described as balletic: Anna, Kamila, Alena etc., are more lyrical/contemporary.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Let's be honest here, most people who are interested in biographies of skaters, coaches, etc. are only interested in the drama. If it were only about how they trained and how hard they worked, no one would talk about it. The majority of the comments, at least on this thread, have very little to do with the actual skaters and how they train. They're all grouped into whatever fits a narrative.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
What information? Edwin is the Emperor of information and if he said it happened then we have to consider it.

Emotions are on high on both sides but I expect fans to behave respectfully when they're in an arena. Especially when the skaters are your compatriots. Should the fans be shouting or swearing at the judges? He'll no! Anyone doing that needs to be ejected from the arena. This is figure skating An elegant classy sport not soccer which is none of that.
That was a fake information from Edwin. The crowd was angry when they saw Konstantinova's scores and not Kamila or Daria's cases according to those Fs fans who were in the arena. I hope you and Edwin don't come to Aliona and Sasha fanthread. That would be sincere. Your bias is more than ridiculous. :mad:

Last edited:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Where is the glamour in hard graft, falling down and rising up again, daily toils and grinds? Because that's what an athlete's live consists of apart from competition?

And it is not like the present day figure skaters have had many economic and social hardships and prejudices to overcome, given how popular the sport is in Russia.

No doubt great Olympians like Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt who have done countless lanes and loops could write quite some pages from their personal experiences, even their training diaries, but how interesting would that be?

Figure skaters work with choreographers etc too, here could be some good chapters to be written about, i.e. how the image was conceived, how it was staged etc.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let's be honest here, most people who are interested in biographies of skaters, coaches, etc. are only interested in the drama. If it were only about how they trained and how hard they worked, no one would talk about it. The majority of the comments, at least on this thread, have very little to do with the actual skaters and how they train. They're all grouped into whatever fits a narrative.
I think it's a bit of both, I'd certainly like to know how the training process works and how the skater developed their style. I'd also enjoy reading about their competition experiences and how they deal with rivals and such.

Although it's occurred to me that most likely only our Russian speaking posters will be able to read the biography, I don't think it'll be translated into English. At least not officially.

Status
Not open for further replies.