2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Men's figure skating

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Oh, I didn't know Aliev has Azerbaijan heritage! Anyway good for him, sounds like the injury is manageable as long as they proceed carefully :thumbsup:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't know , too. I thought he has a typical Russian look. :The:

Paternal grandma is from Azerbaijan. Apparently left not under happy circumstances as he says his dad has a hard time talking about it. I bookmarked the article

-You also have fans in Baku, and you are connected with Azerbaijan. Your surname suggests that you have Azerbaijani roots, is that true?

- This is one hundred percent true! I have Azerbaijani roots in my father's line. I myself was born in Russia. As a child, I was often asked why you have such a surname - Aliyev, and I answered that I have Azerbaijani blood. I told everyone: I am Azerbaijani (Smiles).

- Have you been to Azerbaijan?

- I have not been to Azerbaijan yet, but I have heard a lot about him. Baku is a wonderful city, very modern and beautiful in terms of architecture. The Azerbaijani line in our family comes from my father's mother, my grandmother, she lived there. Unfortunately, I have never seen her. My father and I talked about this topic, but he says little, there are certain nuances of his personal life. I think this is due to the fact that they left Baku when they were having difficult times. But we still have friends in Azerbaijan. I'd like to go there, see, get acquainted with the culture. I will definitely find time and go to Baku.
https://moscow-baku.ru/news/sport/c..._govoril_chto_u_menya_azerbaydzhanskaya_krov/

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I loved that the podium at last Europeans represented the three nations of Caucasus region, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I loved that the podium at last Europeans represented the three nations of Caucasus region, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia.

yeah! so did I. They're all born in Russia and yet it's such an ethnically diverse podium at the same time.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Voronov has announced his retirement on Instagram.
Thank you, thank you, arigato !!! my long journey as an athlete has come to an end! Thanks for this Unforgettable time! Time to move on
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAhXBiqoIM/?igshid=1rex87pc7e44s

Participants for test skates:
Petr Gumennik, Makar Ignatov, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrey Mozalev, Roman Savosin, Alexander Samarin

Start for men SP is 15:30 Moscow time. https://fsrussia.ru/news/5104-raspi...tov-figuristov-sbornoj-rossii-12-09-2020.html

Everybody have fun watching!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I know how you feel. I'm just devastated as well. I so much wanted Sergei to have one last farewell skate but I guess with how this season developed under influence of the corona crises it was just not meant to be. :cry:

For those who have not seen it yet, Sergei Voronov announced his retirement:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAhXBiqoIM/ :cry:

exactly, that's how i wanted him to go, under the spotlight, with a skate he could be proud of, not just fading away

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Aww Sergei... Well, it was inevitable one of these days. Hats off to the man for going strong all these years! His career longevity is really incredible (and owning Grand Prix medals spanning over a decade is no mean feat) :yes: Wishing him all the best for whatever he sets out to do next :)

I wonder if the other Galapagos turtle of men's skating Alexei Bychenko is still up for it this season :think:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Their renaissance is upon us!

Kolyada and Mozalev's overall skating clicked with me the most here (probably Danielian would too if he had been able to come, but such is life). But I guess the LP will be the real test of how in shape they are.

Seruleane

Final Flight
The Russian men did great today, and I was especially happy for Kolyada. I'e always felt he hadn't reached his full potential, despite having lovely skating skills, posture, style, and jumps. He lacked the consistency, and I hope Mishin will help him gain this. I would love to see him as a future World or Olympic Champion.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kolyada was my favourite by far, it looks like he really wanted that strong comeback and worked hard for it. I like the program a lot too: it's fun, it fits his style and it's not an overused piece.

Mozalev i'm surprised he went for the quad flip, considering he always did lutz combos i thought he'd have chosen quad lutz or quad loop instead. He did well enough on the jumps here, not sure about the composition of the program, i like dracula, not so much the second half with the lyrics.

Ignatov's 4lo looks really good, i see improvements with the spins, trying to get the levels still need some work there, presentation also is getting better tho i'd like more speed.

Samarin is also improving on the artistry it seems, still need to work on skating skills to me, and you can tell in the steps sequence in particular but also by the overall amount two foot skating. 4lo was a good effort.

Savosin, i like that he went back to Bella Ciao, it was a successful program for him in Juniors. Technique is still funky but overall decent comeback.

Gumennik, i like him a lot, good spins, good posture, good skating skills, but i was hoping for a more inspired program.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mozalev tried 4lz last week in StP closed/secret test skates and fell on it in short, didn’t repeat attempt in free. He/coach also had said last year that the goal for the first senior season was three quads. So, I assume this means Lz, F and T for him