2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Nationals: Ladies' Free Skate

emmaleemochizuki

On the Ice
I am not a particular fan of any of the skaters but based on today's performance.

For me Anna deserved the win, her programme was emotive, and there were so much more than just the jumps.

Kamila, never been a huge fan, good programme, clean, but not that interesting in my opinion.

Sasha, the best I have seen her in a very long time, clean skate, much more mature, and so much more improvement in her presentation. She drew me into her performance. I would personally put her over KV.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think everybody will finally admit Sasha needs more than a clean performance with a few quads to win
I honestly have no idea what is she supposed to do. They don’t want her to do multiple quads and take the risks... but they put her into 3rd with the most difficult technical content and clean skate. So, more difficult technical content helps Khromykh to get around Talalaykina with her excellent performance, but not good enough for Trusova to get around Valieva... who hardly performed tbh.

I assume come cup of Russia, Trusova will have the best edge on flip in business...

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I could never connect to Anna's performances until today. I started crying at the last step seq. She has all my respect for what she achieved today.
I would have liked to see Sasha in second place. I'm happy with her performance and I still believe Plushenko has a good effect on her.

P44

On the Ice
I honestly have no idea what is she supposed to do. They don’t want her to do multiple quads and take the risks... but they put her into 3rd with the most difficult technical content and clean skate. So, more difficult technical content helps Khromykh to get around Talalaykina with her excellent performance, but not good enough for Trusova to get around Valieva... who hardly performed tbh.
I love Sasha but I think Anna was better today. But did she deserve 13 points more ? I don't think so.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I think everybody will finally admit Sasha needs more than a clean performance with a few quads to win
I think we said that before. If Kamila and Anna were clean (which was always a question mark, Kamila because she hasn't landed two clean 4Ts and she's only 14 and it's her first senior nationals and Anna because despite her amazing competitive spirit and her incredible musicality and artistry is still recovering from pneumonia) they would win. They have the tech to match and score better in PCS and spins. They are still, despite Sasha's amazing progress, better in terms of presentation and interpretation.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
One peculiar thing. Nobody tried a 3A except Liza, and hers were both not clean. Is the 3A falling out of fashion?
Neither Sasha's or Kamila's are stable yet and both of them have more stable quads. It's a super new jump for Kamila in particular. Plus their quads score better. Also Sasha's injured and can't attempt it right now anyway.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
Wow, so only Sasha’s flip was called out of the top 5, her score was great but the fact she was the only one doesn’t sit right with me, especially when Daria’s and Anna’s (f)lutzes exist.
Kami's flip got a q (not an edge but not clean either) and Maiia's flip got a ! so that's not true that Sasha was the only one called out of the top 5.

Last edited:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker

I assume come cup of Russia, Trusova will have the best edge on flip in business...
Actually Anna's base value beats Sasha's, due to Anna's level 4 spins and Anna replaces the second 2A with a 3F (because she doesn't repeat the same type of quad) so upgrades a little there. The difference between a 4Lz and 4F is essentially negligible.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I think Anna should withdraw
Smelling salts, LMAO.

I honestly have no idea what is she supposed to do. They don’t want Trusova to do many quads and take the risks... but they put her into 3rd with the most difficult technical content and clean skate.
She didn't have the most difficult tech content, Shcherbakova beat her in that game by including different quad types, allowing a 2A to be upgraded to a 3F. But yes, Trusova was not judged fairly in comparison to others this competition. The GOE's are ridiculous for the other girls' elements.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Smelling salts, LMAO.

She didn't have the most difficult tech content, Shcherbakova beat her in that game by including different quad types, allowing a 2A to be upgraded to a 3F. But yes, Trusova was not judged fairly in comparison to others this competition. The GOE's are ridiculous for the other girls' elements.
I am not talking in comparison to Scherbakova. Trusova had 4Lz3T combo vs Valieva’s 4T2T combo.

I think it’s back to Trusova needing 3A in short...

Skatefan15

On the Ice
Kami's flip got a q (not an edge but not clean either) and Maiia's flip got a ! so that's not true that Sasha wasn't the only one called out of the top 5.
Ok, that’s good at least somethings got called out. My main problem is that Sasha’s flip edge is the same as last year (maybe even better) and it wasn’t being called before, but it is now. Also the judges could’ve at least called a ! for Daria and Anna’s lutzes since there’s is just as noticeable.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I am not talking in comparison to Scherbakova. Trusova had 4Lz3T combo vs Valieva’s 4T2T combo.

I think it’s back to Trusova needing 3A in short...
Kamila does still do 2 quads though. Sasha' beats her in tech content and base score but it's close. Kamila makes up ground by replacing the 2nd 2A with a 3Lo, erasing some of the 4-3 vs 4-2 difference. Also Kamila has better spins and gets level 4s on them. Also keep in mind Kamila DID get a q on her flip so Sasha wasn't the only one with a call on her flip.

And Kamila does have a 3A she will improve and can land in the short.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So Severus Snape (i don't know his name) is in team Tutberidze (he was wearing their mask)? I was wondering who he was during one of the CoR stages.

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
The replay did show a flat edge on Shcherbakova's 4F, though she would still win with a '!' call. I'm actually shocked she beat Valieva by 10 points.

Znowflake

On the Ice
I kind of feel bad for Valieva. She is almost always overscored so it was weird for her to be “under”scored (relative to her scoring) when she was actually clean .. her time will come though!

The replay did show a flat edge on Shcherbakova's 4F, though she would still win with a '!' call. I'm actually shocked she beat Valieva by 10 points.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I think it's hilarious that people who have been watching skating for years/decades are suddenly acting all shocked and outraged by federation politics and supposed favoritism. That there is more to scoring then what is put in ice. They have ALWAYS existed since skating became an international sport. It wasn't suddenly invented by the Russian federation just to hold down Aleksandra Trusova.