2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Sabine

On the Ice
I think it's smart from her ... in german she would have a shot to going to the olympics
I think it would have been smart to pick Harley Windsor. He is young and she would have had a future. Next to it Australia seems to give citizenship obviously much faster than Germany. I don't see a future for her in Germany with a partner who is pretty old.

hanca

Record Breaker
I think it's smart from her ... in german she would have a shot to going to the olympics
I don’t think she has a shot for olympics. She would need to get German citizenship and let’s face it, she is not Savchenko. Besides, Blommaert has been changing his partners every 1-2 years, she is the fifth one, so I have no reason to think she will last longer (especially with hr jumping problems). On the other hand, she may get to Europeans and worlds; luckily she doesn’t need German citizenship for that.

hanca

Record Breaker
Ups, it seems that Efimova did not make official request to her federation to be allowed to compete for Germany. They found out about her intentions from the internet, which will definitely not help her get released. If they decide not to release her, or if they make her wait for a few years, I am not sure how long Blommaert will be willing to wait.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Russian pairs participating at the Rostelecom Cup were added on the front page.

There is still one spot left, it's probably reserved for Tarasova/Morozov, their presence depends on their health.

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States

There is still one spot left, it's probably reserved for Tarasova/Morozov, their presence depends on their health.
Doesn't everyone only do one event? T/M are on the list for Skate America.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Doesn't everyone only do one event? T/M are on the list for Skate America.
Trankov announced today that they would not be flying back to the US. They may not do any GP events and focus on Russian Cup events 4 and 5 to get to nationals.

hanca

Record Breaker

Does it have to be exactly six pairs? If the max number of pairs within a warm up group is four pairs, it wouldn’t hurt them to let 8 pairs to compete rather than six pairs. No extra warm up group needed...

I don’t think Tarasova/Morozov would be that keen to measure themselves against the younger Russian pairs, considering that Morozov has just been ill and therefore they would not be in their full strength. Being beaten again by Boikova/Kozlovski would not help their confidence, and in everyone’s mind they would firmly settle as the Russian pair number two. At the moment, even though Boikova/Kozlovski beat them last season, they will still be getting the benefit of doubt because of their past results, but they really can’t afford to lose against B/K again. Or if they do lose, it would help if it was at least a really close result. It would be better strategy not to compete at the Russian GP, spend as much time preparing themselves and attend last two Russian cup events.

I would really like to see Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, but they probably will be doing juniors this season. I would also like to see the new pair Solovieva/Ivanov. They scored quite decently at their test skates...

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Tarasova and Morozov are scheduled for Skate America, and thus, are not eligible for Rostelecom as it's only one assignment per piece this year.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Tarasova and Morozov are scheduled for Skate America, and thus, are not eligible for Rostelecom as it's only one assignment per piece this year.
And if they withdraw from there, can't they be at Rostelecom? Participation in Skate America is not confirmed, there is time before October, 7. I didn't find in this season Grand Prix announcement that such a thing is forbidden.

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
And if they withdraw from there, can't they be at Rostelecom? Participation in Skate America is not confirmed, there is time before October, 7. I didn't find in this season Grand Prix announcement that such a thing is forbidden.
Theoretically, yes, I suppose that is possible, but I'm not sure.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
That participation at Skate America is still weird considering that they are also scheduled for the 2nd stage of the Russian Cup, which takes place on 10-13th october. Than the travel to the US to skate on 23-24 october, while I'm not sure how are the conditions of the travelling between Russia and the USA now.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
That participation at Skate America is still weird considering that they are also scheduled for the 2nd stage of the Russian Cup, which takes place on 10-13th october. Than the travel to the US to skate on 23-24 october, while I'm not sure how are the conditions of the travelling between Russia and the USA now.
Trankov said they withdraw from the 2nd stage because of Morozov's coronavirus . They will do the 5th stage, wtich is in Moscow as well.
And if you mean initial plans, Rusfed had a rule in Russian cup assingnments that last year's Nationals medalists do not compete with each other at the same stages. And Trankov was a bit complaining that Boikova / Kozlovski as champions picked up the most comfortable events. :biggrin:

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey everyone! ;)
I'm new on this forum, but I've been following figure skating since 2016. Anyway, I just want to say, how impressed I'm with the 2020-2021 short program's lifts of Boikova&Kozlovskii, Pavliuchenko&Khodykin and mainly Mishina&Galliamov! So much originality and technical difficulty at the same time! :love:

Yes, those were some very innovative lifts by Tamara Moskvina for B/K and M/G who are both being tremendously helped by Moskvina. P/K have other coaches, but they are looking improved as well with some engaging new programs.

Moskvina is a trailblazing coach and a former pairs skater with Mishin. They have a long and illustrious legacy in figure skating for Russia and for the sport as a whole:

You will notice in the old clip above that pairs lifts were brief and basic back then, and the 3-twist did not have the amplitude, power, pop and multiple revolutions that we see today. But what they were doing back then was state-of-the-art, even though they were not the top Russian pair at the time.

Moskvina is known for her choreographic innovation in working with a number of great pairs teams over the years, including Bechke/Petrov; Mishkutenok/Dmitriev; Berezhanaya/Sikharulidze; Kavaguti/Smirnov; Ina/Zimmerman; et al.

You should look up her skaters' performances on YouTube and you will be in for a treat!

In general, the sport of figure skating has been invigorated by the exciting incorporation of ice dance moves over the past several years, as epitomized in the latter season programs of Savchenko/Massot and in the 2016 - 2019 programs of James/Cipres (with choreography by former ice dancers).

Pairs figure skating innovation in lifts and choreographic elements has also been influenced by the choreography of Julie Marcotte (with Duhamel/Radford - two-time World champions and Olympic bronze medalists; and Takahashi/Tran - 2012 World bronze medalists; et al), and by the seminal influence of Aljona Savchenko circa 2005 - 2010 with her former partner Robin Szolkowy and their legendary coach, former World pairs champion Ingo Steuer. As well, the pairs choreography by former ice dancers, Shae Lynn Bourne, John Kerr, Charlie White, Benoit Richaud, Marie France Dubreuil, and Pasquale Camerlengo, et al., has influenced the exciting lifts, unique transitions, and innovative moves we are seeing explored in new programs every season...

Last edited:

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Trankov said they withdraw from the 2nd stage because of Morozov's coronavirus . They will do the 5th stage, wtich is in Moscow as well.
And if you mean initial plans, Rusfed had a rule in Russian cup assingnments that last year's Nationals medalists do not compete with each other at the same stages. And Trankov was a bit complaining that Boikova / Kozlovski as champions picked up the most comfortable events. :biggrin:
I have not seen any complaints from Trankov. My understanding was T/M were given the first two events as they train abroad and were initially going to compete at SA.

After Vladimir got sick, the plans all went out the window. They had to scratch the first and didn’t have enough time to be ready for the second. After the illness, they said first SA and the fifth Russian cup. Today, they said they’re not going back to the US—it’s too big of a risk with travel. They’re likely doing no GP events and will instead compete in events four and five.

I’m not sure how the fed thought all of their medalists weren’t supposed to compete against each other in all events. Three medalists x 2 events is 6. They only have 5 events to put people at.

hanca

Record Breaker
I’m not sure how the fed thought all of their medalists weren’t supposed to compete against each other in all events. Three medalists x 2 events is 6. They only have 5 events to put people at.
I don’t think the issue was about the medallist not going against each other. The issue was about not having two events very full of top skaters and the other three events without any top competitors. Imagine that you are fifth best Russian pair. There is only 12 spots at the nationals, and some are going to be taken by juniors. If you are unlucky and attend two events where you are going to be against those four pairs that are better than you, you will be trying to qualify to the nationals with two fifth places. The other three Russian cup events won’t have any strong pairs (because incidentally the top five pairs, including your pair, were in those two events you attended). So the weak pairs attended the remaining three events and some of them have first, second, third and fourth places. Unlike them, you may not qualify for the nationals, even if the skaters who win the other three events scored fifty points less than you do! The order of skaters for qualifying is based on the placements, not on the marking from the competition, which means that skaters who attend very weak events and medal have a better chance to qualify for the nationals than those who attended a very strong event and ended up fifth.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
That makes sense, but at this point, you prioritize a team like T/M over in the current situation.

Since T/m are doing events 4 and 5 now, it does sound like prioritizing them is what is happening.

hanca

Record Breaker
That makes sense, but at this point, you prioritize a team like T/M over in the current situation.

Since T/m are doing events 4 and 5 now, it does sound like prioritizing them is what is happening.
I don’t think the federation is worried about a team like T/M, because T/M will easily qualify for the nationals. However, they don’t want to lose/keep out of nationals teams who belong there (like team number 5,6,7), who could easily not qualify if they went against all the stronger teams. There is no point having at the nationals weak teams and having the stronger (but not the completely strongest) teams off nationals. To create even a semi-decent team cost money and resources, so the federation doesn’t want to keep such teams off the nationals. Plus, you never know when they will be needed to be sent to Europeans/worlds. One year Russia had to send their team number 3,4 and 5 to the worlds because the top two teams were not able to compete. So to have the teams ready, they need to be at the nationals.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Ted is making interview with Anastasia Mishina and Aleksandr predominantly about 2019 junior worlds, but also about other things:

(They are funny, Aleksandr has some issues with english, but Nastya is absolutely sweet 🥰 )