2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Speaking of which, Trusova just finished off the podium for the first time in forever, and knowing what we've heard about her and her parents, I'm not surprised if she is Volodin's next partner. :shrug:
Trusova skated ‘in a pair’ with her current coach and didn’t like the experience (though given Mikhailov is an ice dancer, it was probably ice dance). I mean, I know you are joking, but Volodin is going to look elsewhere if the rumours are true and if he doesn’t hang the skates.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I want some of what you're inhaling.

Though on a second thought, maybe not.
I was joking, obviously. But I do think he could throw her insanely high and she'd be great in pairs. But I prefer singles. Also I was watching ROstelecom and just wondering how Yulia Artemeva alawys lands everything, and with the same landing position too. Her partner could throw her off a diving platform into a swimming pool filled with water and she'd land on one foot. That girl may be little but damn is she fierce.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Trusova skated ‘in a pair’ with her current coach and didn’t like the experience (though given Mikhailov is an ice dancer, it was probably ice dance). I mean, I know you are joking, but Volodin is going to look elsewhere if the rumours are true and if he doesn’t hang the skates.
I don't know much about him but I do admire his motivation and persistence through so many partners who didn't work out. I think he does have a future, there are always too many girls and not enough boys.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm starting to worry B/K are pushing themselves too hard and aren't getting a proper chance at recovery. Dmitri was ill not too long ago, they rushed to compete at stage 4 in the Russian Cup (where you could tell they weren't on point) and now a week later are at Rostelecom.

I know they are young and are determined fighters but they really should give themselves the chance to just stand back and gather themselves until they are full strength. It would do so much good if they did or perhaps they think it's better to just push through it
Well, the Rostelecom Cup pairs competition showed us just how much spirited fight and resolve Boikova/Koslovskii possess, particularly under pressure, and that's more than half the battle in a tough sport like figure skating!

As I said in an earlier post, B/K and M/G are going to be pushing each other and the Russian pairs to new heights. God Bless Moskvina! I hope that the joy and many rewards of seeing her charges develop their strengths, will be a comfort to Moskvina during this sad time of having lost her husband.

Regarding B/K, I'm sure they are having to make many adjustments this season, including growth spurts, aches and pains, illness (all of which impact training), and above all seeing talented rivals in M/G sharing tutelage under Moskvina (the miracle worker). So they have to share the genius of Moskvina, which in the long term can be a good thing that helps push both teams. But in the short term, it's surely a psychological adjustment for B/K, even if on a small subconscious level.

Last edited:

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Regarding B/K, I'm sure they are having to make many adjustments this season, including growth spurts, aches and pains, illness (all of which impact training), and above all seeing talented rivals in M/G sharing tutelage under Moskvina (the miracle worker). So they have to share the genius of Moskvina, which in the long term can be a good thing that helps push both teams. But in the short term, it's surely a psychological adjustment for B/K, even if on a small subconscious level.
Earlier this year when I was looking for some programs by Mishkutenok and Dmetriev I found this video from the 1994 Winter Games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYehy9pTNOQ. At about the 1:40 point there is a short interview by Tracy Wilson with "Magic worker Moskvina" in case anyone is interested in her powers.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Maybe the Worlds have a little chance to survive. But Europeans are most likely to be cancelled.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Maybe the Worlds have a little chance to survive. But Europeans are most likely to be cancelled.
Unfortunately I think it would be for the best if they tried to do it virtually/cancelled it. I think we're all beginning to accept that this is a long-term thing, contrary to the whole "we'll be back in 2 weeks" thing we thought it was in March. Boikova/Kozlovskii could just miss their moment :(

Artemisa

Final Flight
I disagree I think europeans have the same shot or even more to survive ... it's easier ... if most of skaters are training in europe

hanca

Record Breaker
I usually trust your news, and this seems pretty accurate. I'm surprised that she's going back to singles after such a short problem. I recall Davydov saying that she had weight issues, perhaps her physique would not allow her to stay in pairs. Though it seems Volodin had no problem.

This is such a shame. She was so good. She picked up so fast and had so much potential in pairs. Vikita were great too, and I was hoping that this partnership would go far even though I was cautious with Volodin's history. Speaking of Volodin's history, it can't just be bad luck that his partner splits with him ever year or so. There has to be something off there. And before you give me the whole "oh but he always manages to get a new partner and nothing bad is said about him" well let me tell you this. He's a Russian male in pairs who is experienced, tall, and strong. There's always going to be a long line of girls for any guy of a decent level. If a successful partnership splits, then surely there are great reasons. Athletes of this level endure a lot, they do not give up on something for any odd reason. So what could it possibly be with Volodin that makes all the girls run away so fast? Or is it him dumping all of them? And if this is Vasilieva and her family's initiative, surely they know that her future on Ice Partner Search and singles is not nearly as bright as with Volodin? Or does she no longer want to compete at the highest level?
I wouldn’t blame Volodin. Not yet, anyway. Ustimkina got too tall. I saw it coming, their split. He could have continued with her, but they would have such disadvantage that it would end up like Poluyanova/Sopot - not going anywhere.

Atakhanova already had chronic injury when they got together. Her injury was the reason why the coach Pavlova split up Atakhanova/Spiridonov. Atakhanova/Volodin got together, and her injury started playing up again. They did one competition, then there was off season and when she came back after summer holidays, she reinjured herself at the test skates just before the season started. Atakhanova said in an interview that he had been very patient and waited for her to heal without any complaints, at the end Atakhanova decided that she can’t continue like this.

I am not sure why it didn’t work out with Sobinina. It did look promising at the beginning of the season, they started strong and as the season went on, they became quite inconsistent. I think Russian forum said that she was injured and she would not continue, but then I saw her on Russian icepartnersearch so either the injury wasn’t that serious or there were other reasons for the split.

Re: Vasilieva, I think we know too little what her reasons were. For example, she missed a half of the previous season because she had ongoing joint problems. When I heard that she decided to move to pairs, it did seem to me quite a weird move because pairs would be much worse for her joints than singles ( e.g. landing throw jumps). So maybe she is moving back because she realised that this was not the best option healthwise. There is also a possibility that maybe she realised that she just simply doesn’t enjoy pairs. Not everyone is that keen to hanging head down 2.5 metres up. I can’t imagine that someone would put so much effort into learning a new discipline and then just throw it away so soon without any proper reason, and I don’t think Volodin should be blamed for that.

hanca

Record Breaker
Speaking of which, Trusova just finished off the podium for the first time in forever, and knowing what we've heard about her and her parents, I'm not surprised if she is Volodin's next partner. :shrug:
She would outjump him. If she ever decided to do pairs, which is doubtful, it would help to have a partner who has also quads. Then they would have quads on sbs jumps, quads throw jumps.... (ok, let’s keep dreaming. It would be a waste for Trusova to go to pairs at this time of her career. )

Re new partner for Volodin, I am wondering what Labazina is doing. She paired up with the US guy, but they haven’t competed yet and they may have split up already... Labazina was a pretty decent pair skatr, and she was landing her jumps.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She would outjump him. If she ever decided to do pairs, which is doubtful, it would help to have a partner who has also quads. Then they would have quads on sbs jumps, quads throw jumps.... (ok, let’s keep dreaming. It would be a waste for Trusova to go to pairs at this time of her career. )
She can try pairs after she won everything in singles, just cause Sasha is the girl who likes to write history.
Imagine Nathan Chen and Sasha making a pair :biggrin: I'd pay to watch them do sbs quads!

hanca

Record Breaker
She can try pairs after she won everything in singles, just cause Sasha is the girl who likes to write history.
Imagine Nathan Chen and Sasha making a pair :biggrin: I'd pay to watch them do sbs quads!
Nathan Chen and Trusova? Yes, I can see how the Russian skating federation and the US skating federation are both so keen to release Nathan /Sasha !

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Trusova/Chen will need their own discipline 😇 Honestly, I would love to see them sbs in a show very, very much. It kindda sounds like Trusova’s dream sometimes in her interviews.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice

Re new partner for Volodin, I am wondering what Labazina is doing. She paired up with the US guy, but they haven’t competed yet and they may have split up already... Labazina was a pretty decent pair skatr, and she was landing her jumps.
I think Labazina is rather small, and Volodin is rather tall even by the standards of pair males. He can take someone of Trusova's height. His jumping isn't too much a deficiency - 80% of girls in pairs can't jump any better than him.

REgarding Trusova/Chen, I would love to see it, I just hope that Nathan can have a growth spurt at age 21!!!1

hanca

Record Breaker
I think Labazina is rather small, and Volodin is rather tall even by the standards of pair males. He can take someone of Trusova's height. His jumping isn't too much a deficiency - 80% of girls in pairs can't jump any better than him.

REgarding Trusova/Chen, I would love to see it, I just hope that Nathan can have a growth spurt at age 21!!!1
I agree that he is quite tall for a pair male, but Labazina is not as small for a pair female. She was, but last two seasons she grew up a bit. Don’t get me wrong, she is definitely not among the taller pair girls, but she is not among the tiny ones either. So the size difference could be just right. Labazina could be convenient because she is an experienced pair girl (and she lands her jumps). The last two years Volodin went through starting with a new-to-pairs partners. and that meant that a lot of time was spent to teach the girls the pair discipline. That’s a huge waste of time. I know we all admire how fast the girls learn the pairs discipline, but If you compare it with a pair like Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, you suddenly see that the time Volodin spent with those new partners teaching them the basic, whereas with a more experienced partner they could spend the time trying to increase their technical levels and try to get on the team.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I agree that he is quite tall for a pair male, but Labazina is not as small for a pair female. She was, but last two seasons she grew up a bit. Don’t get me wrong, she is definitely not among the taller pair girls, but she is not among the tiny ones either. So the size difference could be just right. Labazina could be convenient because she is an experienced pair girl (and she lands her jumps). The last two years Volodin went through starting with a new-to-pairs partners. and that meant that a lot of time was spent to teach the girls the pair discipline. That’s a huge waste of time. I know we all admire how fast the girls learn the pairs discipline, but If you compare it with a pair like Kostiukovich/Briukhanov, you suddenly see that the time Volodin spent with those new partners teaching them the basic, whereas with a more experienced partner they could spend the time trying to increase their technical levels and try to get on the team
Of course Volodin will have many options (if we are to believe that he and Vasilieva split), as there are always way too many girls and not enough boys in Russia. Labazina could be a good option, I did recall her being around the same size as Kostiukovich (who is very tiny, so I was concerned why Nyman, another insanely tall guy, was taking her) but maybe she grew. I wonder if she stayed in Colorado with Dalilah's team to look for another partner.

At this point, Volodin has taken a tall girl, a severely injured girl, a circus acrobat, and a singles girl whose coach was outspoken about weight issues. I wouldn't be surprised if that is why DAvydov pulled her from the rest of the singles season. All of this while he himself is a tall, strong, and experienced pair male with okay enough jumps. So I think he can probably take someone like Vislobokova - who is a good size for him, but of course she should have better jumps than Vislobokova. If he gets a girl too small, she could have a lot of injuries from landing throws so high.

I wonder where Alisa Efimova is?