2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Less national restrictions is why I like GP more than the second half competitions. After watching this year’s version of Grand Prix, one thing that occurred to me was that I am overall very satisfied with how the GP slots are filled. But I also want more access to watching the national competitions, because I don’t mind scrolling through.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I think these things, in addition to how Kostiukovich/Ialin weren't given JGP due to Polina "having to lose weight" is really ridiculous and honestly just shows the sickening culture in skating and gymnastics, and other sports. And let's not pretend these are isolated cases either. Polina has a physique where during puberty, it is easy to gain a lot of weight at once, even if you follow your diet and training.

The federation won't let her go just to spite her. That's like purposefully ruining someone's career for a silly little incident. And yes, I meant SAvchenko getting a Russian partner and competing for Russia. But she's not coming back, so that's that.

So I was thinking last night about Trusova in pairs, and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Soon, she will go through puberty and as we have seen, pair girls during puberty usually struggle a lot more with jumps than with pair elements. And after the Olympics, she will have landed all the quads, and be wanting to do something new. So why not come to pairs? Someone like Volodin may not be a great jumper but they could probably do quad throws and quad twist, maybe even quint.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
The problem with this is that if everyone had to only represent country where they were born or where they emigrated to, there would be very few pairs and dance couples. Especially pairs are so specific to the body size requirements, that for skaters from the small federations, finding a suitable partner would be impossible. It would be possible in Russia, USA, Canada and possibly China (although even there the number of junior pairs seems to be severely reduced the past few years), but in other countries, there is not much to choose from. I have never counted it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if roughly a half of the pairs at worlds were partnerships with one skater imported.
This statement made me want to do some research and, for Worlds 2019, there were:
11/27 ice dance couples (40.7% of the field) with at least one half of the couple representing another country than the one they were born/primarily lived in (the country previously represented by the skater is in brackets):
  • Weaver (USA) / Poje
  • Gilles (USA) / Poirier
  • Guignard (France) / Fabbri
  • Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen (Denmark)
  • Hurtado / Khaliavin (Russia)
  • Lauriault (Canada )/ Le Gac
  • Reed (Georgia/Israel) / Ambrulevičius
  • Yanovskaya (Russia) / Lukács
  • Komatsubara / Koleto (USA/Norway)
  • Manni (Italy) / Röthlisberger
  • Ichilov / Davidovich (Belarus)

5/19 pairs teams (26% of the field) with at least one half of the couple representing another country than the one they were born/primarily lived in (the country previously represented by the skater is in brackets):
  • Zabiiako (Estonia) / Enbert
  • James (Great Britain) / Cipres
  • Hocke / Blommaert (Belgium)
  • Petranović / Souza-Cordeiro (Russia)
  • Jones / Boyadji (France)
Apologies for this being a bit off-topic...

hanca

Record Breaker
This statement made me want to do some research and, for Worlds 2019, there were:
11/27 ice dance couples (40.7% of the field) with at least one half of the couple representing another country than the one they were born/primarily lived in (the country previously represented by the skater is in brackets):
  • Weaver (USA) / Poje
  • Gilles (USA) / Poirier
  • Guignard (France) / Fabbri
  • Fournier Beaudry / Sørensen (Denmark)
  • Hurtado / Khaliavin (Russia)
  • Lauriault (Canada )/ Le Gac
  • Reed (Georgia/Israel) / Ambrulevičius
  • Yanovskaya (Russia) / Lukács
  • Komatsubara / Koleto (USA/Norway)
  • Manni (Italy) / Röthlisberger
  • Ichilov / Davidovich (Belarus)

5/19 pairs teams (26% of the field) with at least one half of the couple representing another country than the one they were born/primarily lived in (the country previously represented by the skater is in brackets):
  • Zabiiako (Estonia) / Enbert
  • James (Great Britain) / Cipres
  • Hocke / Blommaert (Belgium)
  • Petranović / Souza-Cordeiro (Russia)
  • Jones / Boyadji (France)
Apologies for this being a bit off-topic...
I am not sure how come the pairs are so low. I remember watching with my friends Europeans a few years back and it felt like a half of the field was partially Russian (one person in the partnerships was Russian born).

ETA:
The pair from Israel is mixed (when he was skating with Chernivskaya, she was Russian). His current partner Vernikov is from the USA.
You also forgot to mention Hungarian Mark Magyar, whose several past partners were Russian (Beklemseva, Kashitsina), now he skates with Chtchetinina, Russian born Swiss skater).
The only Czech pair is also a half Czech and half Russian (Bidar who skates with Elizaveta Zhuk).
French pair Hamon/Strekalin - he is originally from Ukraine.
Danilova/Tsiba - they represent Netherland but she is from Russia.
Herbrikova/Roulet - they represent Switzerland, but she is from Slovakia.

Wow, it looks when you were looking at the pairs, you ignored a half of the mixed partnerships! Your and mine, that’s eleven mixed pairs in Europe. If skaters couldn’t change countries, there would be hardly any pairs competing!

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I am not sure how come the pairs are so low. I remember watching with my friends Europeans a few years back and it felt like a half of the field was partially Russian (one person in the partnerships was Russian born).

ETA:
The pair from Israel is mixed (when he was skating ith Chernivskaya, she was Russian). His current partner Vernikov is from the USA.
You also forgot to mention Hungarian Mark Magyar, whose several past partners were Russian (Beklemseva, Kashitsina), now he skates with Chtchetinina, Russian born Swiss skater).
The only Czech pair is also a half Czech and half Russian (Bidar who skates with Elizaveta Zhuk).
French pair Hamon/Strekalin - he is originally from Ukraine.
Danilova/Tsiba - they represent Netherland but she is from Russia.
Herbrikova/Roulet - they represent Switzerland, but she is from Slovakia.

Wow, it looks when you were looking at the pairs, you ignored a half of the mixed partnerships! Your and mine, that’s eleven mixed pairs in Europe. If skaters couldn’t change countries, there would be hardly any pairs competing!
I was only looking at Worlds 2019, which had a smaller field and none of the pairs you mentioned competing. But, you're quite correct, when you look at the European pairs field, it would be tiny without the mixed teams!

hanca

Record Breaker
I was only looking at Worlds 2019, which had a smaller field and none of the pairs you mentioned competing. But, you're quite correct, when you look at the European pairs field, it would be tiny without the mixed teams!
I see. I looked at Europeans 2020, and also recalled some from my head.

hanca

Record Breaker
Let’s hope Efimova gets her release, because i love the young German pair, but I would love to see her to continue competing and it doesn’t feel like they would be replacing anyone that way.
I think I would prefer Efimova with a different partner. I like her skating and with Blommaert the partnership will only last a year or two. If she bets released and after a year he dumps her as he has done with the previous four partners, Efimova will have no chance finding a new partner in Germany, so she will again need to be released, this time from Germany. Does anyone know how good is Germany with releasing skaters?

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Does anyone know if the Velikov pairs will go to some St. Petersburg competitions? I would be very curious to see Vislobokova/Ialin again, seeing how much progress they had after just a month last time. I also miss Kostiukovic/Briukhanov, and I think Akhanteva can benefit from being in competition (though Akhanteva/Kolesov could also benefit from a new free program, and I truly hope this team doesn't fall apart)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
She came down with pneumonia after Kazan, but are back to training as of today.

They are having the worst luck.
😭 I saw this on Insta! Poor T/M! I'm relieved to hear that they're back in training though. I wonder if they'll go to Nats? Or should they write off this season (can they afford to do that?)

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
😭 I saw this on Insta! Poor T/M! I'm relieved to hear that they're back in training though. I wonder if they'll go to Nats? Or should they write off this season (can they afford to do that?)
I don’t think they’re in a position to write off nationals. I think they’ll try their hardest.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
T/M aren't getting any younger and their injuries won't get any better. Maybe it's a good idea to rest this season and focus on long term goals, so that they can have their moment and go out on a high at the Olympics, rather than being almost there at every competition. Both of them look pretty exhausted at this point. I'm also afraid Boikova/Kozlovskii are burning themselves out.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Does anyone know if the Velikov pairs will go to some St. Petersburg competitions? I would be very curious to see Vislobokova/Ialin again, seeing how much progress they had after just a month last time. I also miss Kostiukovic/Briukhanov, and I think Akhanteva can benefit from being in competition (though Akhanteva/Kolesov could also benefit from a new free program, and I truly hope this team doesn't fall apart)
K/B have qualified i believe. A/K need another stage so well probably see them. Quite honestly I hope they do break up just because it seems like a hot mess. They invented social distancing before it was needed. I heard they broke up in the off season but got back together. I was suprised kostukovich didn't pair up with kosalv. Bus she is good friends with akanteva so that would be messy

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
K/B have qualified i believe. A/K need another stage so well probably see them. Quite honestly I hope they do break up just because it seems like a hot mess. They invented social distancing before it was needed. I heard they broke up in the off season but got back together. I was suprised kostukovich didn't pair up with kosalv. Bus she is good friends with akanteva so that would be messy
Really, I would not be surprised. I remember last year K/I were supposed to be the first place junior team, but alas she grew, and nothing worked out. Same for A/K, but I think that everyone knows that if Valeri so desires, there are many girls who will want to skate with him, most of whom probably have better jumps and coordination. I'm not sure the same can be said for boys wanting to skate with Akhanteva. I was thinking too, that Kostiukovich may team up with either Rylov or Kolesov. I was really hoping for Kostiukovich/Rylov actually, he would throw her painfully high, higher than Panfilova. First off, she is smaller, and also, she is a better jumper than Panfilova. But I also really like Ko/Br, so I guess that's that, and I can't see her outgrowing Briukhanov.

I wonder whose idea it was to get back together, if that is true. They have been together for so long that I find it unlikely they would break up for any odd reason. Someone on twitter remarked that Kolesov's reaction after the free at Rostelecom indicated that he wasn't surprised by the mistake-ridden performance. I have to agree. I also think that even though Akhanteva is very good, she is not anywhere up to Kolesov's level. With how experienced he is, he could probably take a singles girl and teach her everything pretty quickly, and then have a hand-picked girl with solid jumps, good pair elements, elegance, performance, etc. Actually, if we're going to entertain the possibility of Trusova in pairs sometime in the future, then I think Kolesov can take her and do some pretty cool things, especially thorws and twists.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Also, they invented social distancing before it was needed? What do you mean by that? I know she struggles with jumps and seemingly now lifts as well, but he seems to understand that she has a difficult period in life, with puberty and injuries in addition to quarantine. And he stuck with her for many years, when he could've skated with someone else. And if your theory is true, then he either tried to get back together after breakup or accepted her request to get back together.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Also, they invented social distancing before it was needed? What do you mean by that? I know she struggles with jumps and seemingly now lifts as well, but he seems to understand that she has a difficult period in life, with puberty and injuries in addition to quarantine. And he stuck with her for many years, when he could've skated with someone else. And if your theory is true, then he either tried to get back together after breakup or accepted her request to get back together.

I just mean they don't seem to enjoy being together. Not that its a requirement. But it really seems like they can't stand being together.