2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I hope that I am wrong, but I see the end of the road for Diana and Ilya. It's been a really rough season....
I don't mean to be too pessimistic but I don't really see a future for Akhanteva/Kolesov either. They remind me of Mishina/Mirzoev in 201617 and Kostiukovich/Ialin in 2020. I wonder if the Velikovs can help them through it.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
She is. She attempted a comeback last season IIRC, but she's done now I think.

Not sure if I'd like to see Sinitsyina as a Pairs girl, but if it allows her to continue and she wants to, why not?
She doesn't quite strike me as the type that would like to be tossed into the air but she's flexible and strong, with good jumps and is really tiny. IF she can't make it in singles she can give it a try.

I also dream of Trusova in pairs after 2022

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
She doesn't quite strike me as the type that would like to be tossed into the air but she's flexible and strong, with good jumps and is really tiny. IF she can't make it in singles she can give it a try.

I also dream of Trusova in pairs after 2022
Kseniia Sinitsyna has the jump difficulty and she is pretty small, but I don't really see her in pairs. I think singles shows her off best and if she performs to the level she can perform she can get GP spots and such, but if she wants to switch I would rather her do ice dance, she has the skating skills for it.

Sasha in pairs though... interesting... she is tiny and gives off those pair girl vibes I guess. I doubt she'd try pairs though. Out of the younger girls, maybe Liza Berestovskaya could do pairs. She's tiny, has jumps, has great performance ability too. Her biggest weakness (IMO) is the height of her jumps and her skating skills, and those could be hidden more in pairs. But we'll have to see whether or not she can get some better jump projectiles because if she can, I see no reason why she'd switch.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I don't see why pairs is used as the dumping ground for failed singles kids. Sasha Trusova is a girl with great ability. She is powerful and fearless, always looking for a new adventure. IF she can be the quad queen of pairs iwth quad twists and throws, then I see no reason why not. Is Volodin still free? :cheer: And how much out of Yana's pocket would it take for the USFS to release Nathan AND for Nathan to come train in pairs with Sasha? They can do single throws and quad jumps, win the competition

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I don't see pairs as a dumping ground for failed singles kids at all. I see pairs as something totally separate. There is that necessary trust between partners, the acknowledgement that when one of the two makes a mistake it will also hurt the other - and the understanding of that when it happens, the chemistry between partners, the ability to execute pairs elements as well as dance steps, and - of course - the ability to do solo jumps synchronised as much as possible. I think Sasha is far too individualistic for all that, and so is Nathan. They might be able to do SBS jumps together at an exhibition (far apart), but a pair team needs much more than that to be successful. To me, pairs are the ultimate discipline: with the (SBS) jumps and (partly) spins of singles, with the dance steps and short lifts also seen in ID (although the twizzles of Pairs skaters tend to be of the lowest level) as well as the specific pairs elements which are the throws and over the head lifts and of course - my favourite - the twist lifts. Dumping ground? Never!

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I don't see why pairs is used as the dumping ground for failed singles kids. Sasha Trusova is a girl with great ability. She is powerful and fearless, always looking for a new adventure. IF she can be the quad queen of pairs iwth quad twists and throws, then I see no reason why not. Is Volodin still free? :cheer: And how much out of Yana's pocket would it take for the USFS to release Nathan AND for Nathan to come train in pairs with Sasha? They can do single throws and quad jumps, win the competition
I mean Sasha did do a sbs 4T with Yuzuru and it was very good....

Again I do think Sasha has that unshakable confidence that a lot of the pairs girl seem to have (like who would want to be thrown six feets into the air? not most people I would assume), but she has qualities that I don't think pairs could necessarily bring out.

I also don't see pairs as a dumping ground, because like, I think it might be way harder, especially in Russia as a pair. Not just how scary or prone to injury the girl often is, but also, Russia has so many good pairs. Like they are all so good. But, if a singles skater doesn't have the qualities that singles needs, but does have the quality that pairs needs, I don't see why they shouldn't switch. But I guess one reason I do sometimes wonder whether someone should switch to pairs is because side by side jumps are usually one of the weaker elements, overall, for pairs. Singles skaters would be much better at sbs jumps, and as Kadyrova and Vasilieva have shown thus far, can be good at pairs elements as well with enough work.

hanca

Record Breaker
It would be a waste to pair Trusova with Volodin. Volodin seems to be a great guy from what we heard from his previous partners, but jumps are not his strongest thing. If Trusova went to pairs, it would make sense to pair her up with a very strong jumper, otherwise it is wasting her amazing ability. Pairs get points for jumps only if they both land it. Trusova can do quads, so to get ahead of other pairs, she would need a guy with quads too.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
It would be a waste to pair Trusova with Volodin. Volodin seems to be a great guy from what we heard from his previous partners, but jumps are not his strongest thing. If Trusova went to pairs, it would make sense to pair her up with a very strong jumper, otherwise it is wasting her amazing ability. Pairs get points for jumps only if they both land it. Trusova can do quads, so to get ahead of other pairs, she would need a guy with quads too.
The whole Trusova/Chen, Trusova/Ignatov and Trusova/Volodin thing is a joke :D for obvious reasons it wouldn't be great. Most 185cm+ guys struggle with jumps. But I guess Valeri Kolesov has some nice 3-3 combos. Quad twist, quad throws, 3Lz+3T+2T and 3F. How nice would that be. Hypothetical, of course. And I think we should hold off on making judgements about Nikita as a person, because public statements and perceptions are deceiving. Not saying he has to be a bad person, but not saying he's totally a great person. Just no judgement. And you're never going to get the perfect partner. If Nikita is tall, strong, experienced, can teach her pairs that fast, then she sacrifices a little on the jumps part to have him throw her in 4 turns. There aren't too many experienced and tall boys out there. The whole thing about Sasha and Nathan doing pairs would probably be for some post-Beijing tour or fun little show competition series, which could be fun to watch. I will never give up on my dream of seeing Trusova being thrown into the air.

There are more boys with 3A and 4's coming to pairs because of how competitive it is in singles, but most of the good jumpers are under 183cm, which is not suitable for Sasha.

Some pairs at the draw in Krasnoyarsk. Can't wait to see Polina and Alexei again https://www.instagram.com/p/CKy_8rxpl0t/

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Kseniia Sinitsyna has the jump difficulty and she is pretty small, but I don't really see her in pairs. I think singles shows her off best and if she performs to the level she can perform she can get GP spots and such, but if she wants to switch I would rather her do ice dance, she has the skating skills for it.

Sasha in pairs though... interesting... she is tiny and gives off those pair girl vibes I guess. I doubt she'd try pairs though. Out of the younger girls, maybe Liza Berestovskaya could do pairs. She's tiny, has jumps, has great performance ability too. Her biggest weakness (IMO) is the height of her jumps and her skating skills, and those could be hidden more in pairs. But we'll have to see whether or not she can get some better jump projectiles because if she can, I see no reason why she'd switch.
Sasha is quite tall already (158+5=163 cm), will probably grow more. She'll be too tall for pairs.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Sasha is quite tall already (158+5=163 cm), will probably grow more. She'll be too tall for pairs.
I knew that she would be on the taller side, but I don't think she will grow much taller than 162-163. I know her mom is rather tall, around 165, but she's strong and flexible so it woudl be manageable with a tall guy.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'd just like to say how much I'm enjoying T/M this season and I'm do grateful to Sergei V for helping them out. He's their jump coach I believe, but his cheery presence has helped T/M the most I think. :) They look happy to be skating again!

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I knew that she would be on the taller side, but I don't think she will grow much taller than 162-163. I know her mom is rather tall, around 165, but she's strong and flexible so it woudl be manageable with a tall guy.
Wouldn't this only be the case if her father is super short though? Usually children are slightly taller than their same gender parent. I'm a teeny bit taller than my mother, she's got longer arms though :laugh:

And if Sasha's father is tall bets are probably off.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Wouldn't this only be the case if her father is super short though? Usually children are slightly taller than their same gender parent. I'm a teeny bit taller than my mother, she's got longer arms though :laugh:

And if Sasha's father is tall bets are probably off.
Me and my sister are shorter than our mother and our father isn't short. Looks like we took after a petite grandmother. So it can vary.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Me and my sister are shorter than our mother and our father isn't short. Looks like we took after a petite grandmother. So it can vary.
This is especially true with elite level athletes with restricted diets and a lot of training. If Boikova and Mishina can be handled, then there is no reason Trusova cannot. I'm never giving up :hap10:

Giltedge

Final Flight
You mean this Boikova? :)

(a trip down memory lane)

rxmeIuFnT50.jpg