2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here's my thought process on that. I also grew up doing skating and Royal Conservatory of Music piano training (along with other activities, didn't have the typical social life of most kids because I didn't "hang out" after school). In no way did I reach Zach's skating or piano expertise (went to a regular day school), but I spent over a decade in skating and musical training.

I feel that those skaters that get serious musical instruction have a chance to not just learn how to interpret music, but understand how it is constructed by playing music themselves. They learn pieces of music, timing, and performing in front of others (and in Zach's case, while competing). There are so many elements this brings to his skating, perhaps not overtly, but it provides him with a strong off-ice foundation in musicality. His passion and intensity derives, IMHO, in part from this foundation.

I made this comment because sometimes he gets random online criticism that he's trying to "be like Scott Moir" when he is in fact his own skater. He may share similarities with Scott at times, and may want to achieve a similar level of success to Scott, but I just feel that he comes by his skating persona from his own life experiences.
I come from the other side of the spectrum... a non-skater who is a professional musician. I appreciate your perception of things, mine are slightly different. I do agree that Zach is his own skater obviously and that he is intense and passionate about what he does...but he probably would be the same if he had had another hobby as a kid... I have a lot of students who are not passionate at all and still reach their ARCT level and more.. Passion doesn't come from taking piano lessons... Piano lessons can fuel someone's passionate mind... just like figure skating, swimming, or any other activity.. I am passionate in everything I do... that's just me... some people are chill... and that's fine.. I was a very late starter as a musician and was already all over the place with my passionate soul. So this is why I tend to split both... His training as a musician certainly brings him perspective ... but many skaters train either as musicians or dancers... so I am not that impressed when I hear about so and so was doing music etc... MANY kids are doing music... not many are passionate.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE Hawayek and Baker and I was furious at how shafted they were at Worlds last season. Their FD was a masterpiece — that one-foot step sequence was absolutely stunning. Their skating skills and expression are top notch — edges, speed, smooth as silk across the ice.
Another person of great discernment. I’ve always just called that FD the MASTERPIECE. Was hoping they would keep it.

Maybe there’s a connection with liking L/L and H/B because I love both.

theblade

On the Ice
I agree re: Zach; he has a passion that comes out in performance that is probably intrinsic to his personality. I just feel that him doing piano instead of, say, swimming, has given him a great deal of command as a male ice dancer.

Some of what I remember most regarding musical training was the choreography of the movement. I started with Orff, then went on to piano. The arm movements required skill and precision, acquired through repetition (practice). When you are working with your arms and hands to create music, and use timing (playing fast or slow, going from soft to loud), that's hours of off-ice arm mastery. So, less likely to have sloppy, imprecise arms on the ice.

And yes, music is overrun these days with many kids whose parents want them to achieve high levels of distinction. So they do it to please the parents, head off to college (for many in the U.S., it's an important part of the application) and drop music completely. More perfunctory than passionate.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Nam was 10th after the SP at 2021 NHK Trophy. This would be his very last Grand Prix competition, so just hope everything would be better in the free skates. :rolleye:
Technical contents: 2S3T(<<,2ft), 3A, 3F TES 27.39, PCS 36.89, SP 64.28.

Balloon

On the Ice
Tough skate for Trennt and Evelyn at NHK. I hope they pull it together for a decent free skate.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree re: Zach; he has a passion that comes out in performance that is probably intrinsic to his personality. I just feel that him doing piano instead of, say, swimming, has given him a great deal of command as a male ice dancer.

Some of what I remember most regarding musical training was the choreography of the movement. I started with Orff, then went on to piano. The arm movements required skill and precision, acquired through repetition (practice). When you are working with your arms and hands to create music, and use timing (playing fast or slow, going from soft to loud), that's hours of off-ice arm mastery. So, less likely to have sloppy, imprecise arms on the ice.

And yes, music is overrun these days with many kids whose parents want them to achieve high levels of distinction. So they do it to please the parents, head off to college (for many in the U.S., it's an important part of the application) and drop music completely. More perfunctory than passionate.
well.. sure but a good pianist is taught to minimize their movement...not sure playing the piano would be really helpful for Zach's amazing facial expressions and pelvic moves in funkytown. If anything, swimming technique would be more useful here LOL Dolphin kick... strong and muscular shoulder moves... :) I understand the point you are making. I see it a bit differently being a professional musician. For me Zach remains a figure skater... nothing else. Eric Radford, same thing... at least he did start his musical education at a higher level (university) ...I mean, even Patrick plays a little piano... it's just a common thing for so many people nowadays.... it's like brushing your teeth :) mandatory, necessary, kids know that it's good for them because their parents told them it is :)

ashleyming

On the Ice
well.. this is not a great event for Nam and W/M. I have the feeling that it's pretty much over for them for Beijing. I hope they can come back strongly at Nationals
Well, seeing how both Nam and Roman are skating this season in competition just makes me become more patient with the current situation. :ROFLMAO: At least they are still competing, though the crisis of Canadian men's field after 2018 is huge. From this moment, it's not about the Grand Prix series anymore, it's about the Nationals. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If Nam is really almost done with competing (as he said before), 2021 NHK Trophy will be his very last Grand Prix competition of his competitive career. :) I guess I just need to hope for some optimistic things to the young man no matter what his final decision will be. :pray:
P.s: Time went by quickly. It's been 7 years since Nam's senior debut as the 2014 Junior World Champion. Since then, things have never been easy with him, both on and off the ice, but at least he has been strong and calm enough to stay in the field till now. :)

My heart goes out to Nam. So much hope and promise. I hope he can turn it around quickly. I love Roman's skating but my heart goes to Nam. Nam could go to the olympics and Sadovsky worlds where with retirements and injuries and people too tired Roman wins a bronze? Okay dreaming (tough with Cha, Boyang, Rizzo, Kolyada and the Russian men all threatening should Chen and the three Japanese men falter, retire, not show up. I want that oy to return and to shine. Oh Canada come on Nam and Gabby dig in deep and show that joy. Where is the joy in skating in Canada. MTM are struggling. Roman and Keegan are quality skaters Nam still has one more skate - think this could be his last international program :( Though I guess he might make 4CC's.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was a rough short program at Cup of Austria; Emily didn't skate particularly well and is still in fourth place heading into the free.

Alison is way down in seventeenth.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
It was a rough short program at Cup of Austria; Emily didn't skate particularly well and is still in fourth place heading into the free.

Alison is way down in seventeenth.
Allison Schumacher has showed some good flashes of potential, but she is off to a start that is not looking too good. I hope she can rebound better.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I felt like Marjorie and Zach were underscored at NHK. 74 is not bad at all, and compared to how they have been scoring, it's pretty good. I just feel like they are scored low.

ashleyming

On the Ice
My heart goes out to Nam. So much hope and promise. I hope he can turn it around quickly. I love Roman's skating but my heart goes to Nam. Nam could go to the olympics and Sadovsky worlds where with retirements and injuries and people too tired Roman wins a bronze? Okay dreaming (tough with Cha, Boyang, Rizzo, Kolyada and the Russian men all threatening should Chen and the three Japanese men falter, retire, not show up. I want that oy to return and to shine. Oh Canada come on Nam and Gabby dig in deep and show that joy. Where is the joy in skating in Canada. MTM are struggling. Roman and Keegan are quality skaters Nam still has one more skate - think this could be his last international program :( Though I guess he might make 4CC's.
Afraid that even the other contenders melt down, Roman is still no where near the podium at Worlds or 4CC. 🙂 He is just very inconsistent. He's my favorite of the bunch by a mile but he's given SC zero reason to consider him a favorite for one the two spots. 🤷‍♂️ Almost the entire mens event at Skate Canada was really poor, and he still managed to finished last.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Tough journey for Trennt and Evelyn at this year's Grand Prix Series, just hope for better days at the Nationals, tbh. 🙏

ashleyming

On the Ice
The last Grand Prix event of Nam has ended. :) No matter how the final results are, I just want to say thank you to him. Thank you for being strong after all these years, Nam! ❤️ You have had the peaking moments in your career and the moment you came out of the blue to win the 2014 Junior World Title and the National Tile in 2015, you definitely have made Canada proud of you so much!
Wishing all the best for him!

Last edited: