2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

Balloon

On the Ice
Considering they were not gonna bring senior pairs to this event, I think it went well the scores seem to be in line with what the top teams are putting up this year.. Hoping to see some solid long programs today.

Sackie

Medalist
Yes we need some good news in Pairs. When was the last time CAN Pairs didn't win any medals at GP events.

ashleyming

On the Ice
I am catching up on COR and I got to H&B's FD. And I stopped, because the instant the music started, I saw something else in my mind. I saw Patrick Chan. I saw everything he did from the camel spin variation to the 3Lo-turn-stop. I even knew where he did the jumps, while listening to H&B's music. Patrick's Chopin program is so brilliant, and always will be, with the way he glides to the music, moves right with it, and hits all the notes. He even took the care to change his speed in the last camel variation (arms behind his back) to show us the music change. This is one of those comparatively rare programs where the music is integral to the program itself and not just on in the background.

I know earlier in the thread people were missing Patrick. I miss him too, for his pure skating that doesn't look so laborious or painful. By the way, I love H&B's FD, so the comparison is a positive one, not a negative one. I am thrilled that H&B skated so beautifully and reminded me of Patrick. I like H&B's FD way more than either C&B or H&D's, and I hope they can make it to the Olympics. Their FD is so lovely to watch.

Let us indulge ourselves in some Patrick Chan! :love::love::love:
This Chopin program of Patrick is the only FP in history that reached the bar of 200 points with only 2 quads. 😌 That day he jumped from 5th after the SP to the top of the podium overall!

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's why I'm now afraid of labelling skaters before they actually win something internationally... Since Patrick, everytime I start appreciating a lovely boy, his career will end up like a mess! 😑
Right.....I picked Joseph and Camden from the US to be big stars and as soon as I got invested, they seemed to have lost interest. I think this will be Camden's Final Season.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Right.....I picked Joseph and Camden from the US to be big stars and as soon as I got invested, they seemed to have lost interest. I think this will be Camden's Final Season.
All my picks: Camden was so good at the 2017 Junior Grand Prix Final with the Silver medal, Joseph was stunning when he won the Silver at the 2017 JGP Croatia, Stephen won the 2018 Junior Grand Prix Final. And their career paths all went to a mess after I picked them. 💀

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did like Camden but i didn't think he would get the consistency in the big elements to have a long and bright career, especially considering the strength at the top in the USA... but I am hoping Jo and Conrad can still turn things around for themselves... my disappointment right now is for Roman... (and Nam)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
He suggested that she could even beat the USA ladies in the Olympic Team event depending on who they choose to skate for the USA.
Vice versa is certainly true as well, don't you think?

:) Who anyone beats always depends on any number of factors the way figure skating is judged. It's the nature and history of the sport.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
As for M-T/M, I've never liked this narrative that Kirsten did something unforgivable by wanting to try a new partnership, when she felt the old one wasn't going to get her where she wanted to go. In no other business would someone be expected to just wave goodbye to their goals like that. Dylan went on to a great partnership with Lubov, while Kirsten and Michael have had more of a struggle. Clearly, as we can see, Dylan did not want to continue his skating career to the 2021 Olympics anyway, while Kirsten wanted a longer career. Did she make the wrong choice? It's debatable, though I'd say it obviously hasn't been the success she'd hoped. Anyway, it really has no bearing on what's going on right now. Part of their struggle may still be with nagging injury, but I don't think you can deny that a large part of it is clearly psychological.

Yep, pretty much what I expressed in my long post about KMT/MM, in response to @withwings' comments. You're right that Kirsten's original pairing with Michael has nothing to do with what's happening now.

I get the sense that Kirsten & Michael are over the continual fan beefing about their partnership. I think they both feel good about their partnership overall. They certainly committed to each other and they've made worthy and important strides together. In the aftermath of the retirement of Meagan/ Eric, KMT/MM, at the very least, are still standing when any number of other Canadian teams confronted obstacles which sadly scuttled their partnerships, including Julianne/Charlie; Cami/Drew; Luba/Dylan (his hand injury prevented them from making the 2018 Olympics); Luba/Charlie, et al.

The fact that KMT/MM are experiencing so many setbacks this season (which they say is their sayonara) is what it is, and it's due to a variety of circumstances (some of which I mentioned already). And, as someone else referenced earlier, Lease of TSL discussed Kirsten/Michael in the aftermath of their final GP showing.

ashleyming

On the Ice
I did like Camden but i didn't think he would get the consistency in the big elements to have a long and bright career, especially considering the strength at the top in the USA... but I am hoping Jo and Conrad can still turn things around for themselves... my disappointment right now is for Roman... (and Nam)
The moment some of Roman's fans hyped him up as the "complete package" but always bashed Patrick's achievements despite their fave hasn't won any Grand Slam titles... I knew that they have cursed him, lol! 💀Adoring the boy but his fans just couldn't stop making the clown shows! 😌

rain

Record Breaker
Well, I'd say that result pretty much eliminates Nam from Olympic consideration. Unless there was something else going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Especially with Roman having such a good Rostelecom.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, I'd say that result pretty much eliminates Nam from Olympic consideration. Unless there was something else going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. Especially with Roman having such a good Rostelecom.
i don't know.. i think that none of our guys have done enough on the international scene for body of work to mean anything... and challenge will not really matter neither... especially without conrad, keegan and roman at the event... it will be 1-2 at nationals, I am pretty sure of that, especially if Keegan is in the top 2...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i don't know.. i think that none of our guys have done enough on the international scene for body of work to mean anything... and challenge will not really matter neither... especially without conrad, keegan and roman at the event... it will be 1-2 at nationals, I am pretty sure of that, especially if Keegan is in the top 2...
It's not trending in a good direction for Nam though. He had a decent start at SC considering his struggles with training over the summer, scoring a 219. Then NHK did not go well, and he got 208. Then he gets only 195 at a domestic event. Which is notably worse than Roman's very rough Nebelhorn performance, for example.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's not trending in a good direction for Nam though. He had a decent start at SC considering his struggles with training over the summer, scoring a 219. Then NHK did not go well, and he got 208. Then he gets only 195 at a domestic event. Which is notably worse than Roman's very rough Nebelhorn performance, for example.
for sure... but what if he bounces back at nationals and gets one of the top two spots... nobody else so far can say they have had a great international outing, except perhaps wesley.. but really, they wouldn't be sending him...

PS.. happy to see gogo back but I am not thinking his score would have been that great internationally... his GOE was quite high on some tight jumps... challenge was a big disappointed all over... except that i was happy to see Jo.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
for sure... but what if he bounces back at nationals and gets one of the top two spots... nobody else so far can say they have had a great international outing, except perhaps wesley.. but really, they wouldn't be sending him...

PS.. happy to see gogo back but I am not thinking his score would have been that great internationally... his GOE was quite high on some tight jumps... challenge was a big disappointed all over... except that i was happy to see Jo.
I think Rostelecom was a great international outing for Roman. He set a PB by 6 points and got the highest score by any Canadian man this season.

But yes, I think they'll most likely go with nationals results.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Rostelecom was a great international outing for Roman. He set a PB by 6 points and got the highest score by any Canadian man this season.

But yes, I think they'll most likely go with nationals results.
yeah.... i guess... but still... being the best of a bunch of bad perfs is not that great to me.... i want clean programs and podiums :)

ashleyming

On the Ice
yeah.... i guess... but still... being the best of a bunch of bad perfs is not that great to me.... i want clean programs and podiums :)
Well even the champion of Rostelecom was not clean, but yeah... the podium makes sense. Sometimes Roman does not have to be perfect, he just needs to make less mistakes to be on the podium. Unfortunately, after the SP, the scoring gap has shown that everything was done! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My heart fell to see Nam struggle so much. Even though Gogolov won his scores and skating really kind of makes me sad. I know he is trying and the growth is the issue but both Gogo and Nguyen had and maybe still have such promise. I just hope and it maybe too hard Nam can pull it together. I hope he can regain the joy. I am not sure how it works but it seems Skate Canada are seeing Keegan and Roman as the leaders - they got more international assignments. It will be hard that there are only two s pots but I could see one of the olympic men not going to worlds so the third guy has to keep training as hard as it is. I am happy for Keegan and Roman who appear to be the leaders for the oly spot but there is a soft spot for the little boy who skated in the exhibition in Vancouver and won a world junior title and placed fifth at worlds that somehow Nam could regain the flar, the flash an the tech. He isn't even maxing his limits. Sending positive thoughts to Nguyen.