2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

readernick

Medalist
I wonder who will replace Rika? Maybe Yuhana? She is already going to America and Canada is not too far. Praying Mai Mahara gets her spot as she only has one event so far.
Actually, if there is a late withdrawal the federation can choose any skater they want on the SB list as a replacement. Usually, federations will choose the cheapest and easiest replacement since they pay the travel cost. However, there is also the possibility that there will be no replacement as seems to be the case with Daniil Samsonov's withdrawal from Skate America.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
However, there is also the possibility that there will be no replacement as seems to be the case with Daniil Samsonov's withdrawal from Skate America.
Are we sure of that? Because the entry list doesn't seem updated yet as they are still listing Bradie as participating (meaning the entry list on the ISU website, not the pdf file)

readernick

Medalist
Are we sure of that? Because the entry list doesn't seem updated yet as they are still listing Bradie as participating (meaning the entry list on the ISU website, not the pdf file)
No, I'm not sure about SA. However, federations are not obligated to replace skaters.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Seoyeong Wi 1
Viktoriia Safonova 1
Yuhana Yokoi 1
Eva Lotta Kiibus 1
Starr Andrews 1
Nicole Schott 1
Alessia Tornaghi NONE (what is going on with her?)
Alison Schumacher 1
Alexandra Feigin NONE
Lindsay Van Zundert NONE
Josefin Taljegard NONE
This is the alternate list - Mihara is not on it. For JWT purposes, Yokoi has a chance.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Theoretically, Yokoi would be a better choice for SC organizer (just flying her from SA). Unless there's any traveling issue in between US-Canada (which is not a problem for now). So for Mai to get the spot, perhaps the organizer checked with JSF first to see if there's any recommendation?

Earlier there was guessing that Mai might get the spot, as she was originally assigned to Warsaw Cup but her name didn't show up on the entry list.

(adding: according to Japanese news report, Mai's spot was an invitation from the SC organizer)

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Theoretically, Yokoi would be a better choice for SC organizer (just flying her from SA). Unless there's any traveling issue in between US-Canada (which is not a problem for now). So for Mai to get the spot, perhaps the organizer checked with JSF first to see if there's any recommendation?
Usually I think they just skip to someone else on the alt list if something like this happens (and also fairer, tbh). But w/e, a lot of feds are pretty much doing what they want this season anyway :laugh:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Very happy for Mai getting SC but I'm sad for Rika. Geez, both SA and SC have lost their top challenger for the Russians. I felt like Bradie had a great chance of getting onto the podium at SA (along with Kaori) and Rika was definitely the top non-Russian challenger at SC. Very good chance we'll see a Russian sweep at SC and I'm thinking it might be 2 of 3 at SA...

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow! I’m thrilled for Mai. It is like the organizers read my thoughts last night to make this happen. I’m sad for Rika. But, really happy that Mai gets a chance, even though, she will have to battle out in one of the toughest events.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
It’s a nice jump for her but I think it’s a little too late to make an impact this season because she’s not so consistent even without the 4T.

But I think next year it could help get her into the top group just like the 3A did for Kawabe. Especially if some will be retiring (I suspect Miyahara at least)

Vemvane

On the Ice
So impressed by Kaori's strength and tenacity when holding onto a jump that's gone wrong - the fact that she managed to get a 3T onto the end of the pop without a three turn or anything like that amazes me. She is such a fun and dynamic skater, and I am hoping she has a great FP. I would love to see her on the podium here.

Satoko was a delight to watch, as always. She is so graceful and her skating is so smooth, and her spins and step sequence are things of beauty. The way she just flew across the ice in her StSq, making all the changes of edge and direction look easy! She may not have a huge amount of power, but she is fast, elegant, and an exquisite performer, and it was lovely to hear Mark Hanretty praising her qualities. Like him, I hope that there will always be a place in international competition for Satoko, no matter the jumps.

I really enjoyed Yuhana's SP as well. The pop on the 3Lz was a real pity, and hurt her score, but my fingers are crossed for a clean free.

Joekaz

On the Ice
So impressed by Kaori's strength and tenacity when holding onto a jump that's gone wrong - the fact that she managed to get a 3T onto the end of the pop without a three turn or anything like that amazes me. She is such a fun and dynamic skater, and I am hoping she has a great FP. I would love to see her on the podium here.

Satoko was a delight to watch, as always. She is so graceful and her skating is so smooth, and her spins and step sequence are things of beauty. The way she just flew across the ice in her StSq, making all the changes of edge and direction look easy! She may not have a huge amount of power, but she is fast, elegant, and an exquisite performer, and it was lovely to hear Mark Hanretty praising her qualities. Like him, I hope that there will always be a place in international competition for Satoko, no matter the jumps.

I really enjoyed Yuhana's SP as well. The pop on the 3Lz was a real pity, and hurt her score, but my fingers are crossed for a clean free.
I believe Kaori was doing that in practice on the combo too(according to rockerskater) . Probably because she was having trouble with the flip. So at least she was prepared.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Who designs Sakamoto costumes? I think her sp costume is last year's costume in a different color? But it's still a nice costume.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaori 😭; She is out of the podium at Skate America. She missed out due to FCCoSp2V. She lost two points at least for this spin. Also, her 2F 3T from the Short Program…..But, had she nailed that final spin in the free skate, she would have been a Silver Medalist. Kaori just keeps missing. But, I love her personality and this skate shows and enhances why JSF should select her as one of the the three ladies to be sent to Olympics for Japan.